Can Free Launcher Be Bypassed?

Vanamonde

After a recent scare with corruption of the files on my SMC making my GP32 useless (till I managed to fix it) and PC link still failing to work on my XP system (even with the updated USB driver), is there anyway to bypass Freelauncher?

Use one of the other firmwares floating around.
Aquafish has a good multifirmware that allows you to use the smc even when the regular bios doesn't recognize it properly (that will normally only happen when you do not initialize it through the special gp32 link software but format it with your pc for example).
The latest multifirmware contains the latest european firmware, yafl and pacom. The latter is the one I use most. It contains a pclink module (like the standard bios version) and is able to work with a standard fat12/16 formatted smc!
Cheers, Mark

1) Use a SMC reader

2) You can bypass Freelauncher by using MultiFW2, although it's not really necessary.

so its the smc thats stuffed rather than the gp32 itself?

what vimac keep repeating is true, to initially flash your gp so that it no longer needs free launcher (through wind-ups or pacrom etc) you need to use free launcher to run the flashing program.

i've got pc linker running fine.

i'd recommend you do a search around on gp32spain.com for the hacked up pc linker, may help!

if freelauncher is failing you could install an encrypted version of windups

Ok I have the Free Launcher working for now. So if I installed Aquafish's firmware (using the Freelauncher to run the flash program) I wouldn't need to use use Freelauncher again after the new firmware is installed?

I'm also concerned that unless I can ditch freelauncger there is no point getting anpother SMC cos I won't be able to use PC link to install the encryped freelauncher on a new card.

Last edited by a moderator:
since when are fxes the only executables on the gp32?
faik, there is unfxe, thereforeyou can just create a gxb of your favourite flashing-tool and run that directly through "game"
thats the best way i know to bypass freelauncher, etc, etc. :p

Steps:

1) Go round someone's house, or use a net-cafe that's nice and doesn't get pissed off if you install stuff - specifically GPS2, the PDUID grabbing software from Darkfader.

2) Download and unzip aforementioned program, namely GPS2.

3) Open up mIRC, connect to efnet, go to #gp32

4) (I think) Type "!encrypt" and it should give you some instructions. "!applist" or "!list" will hopefully list the apps you can possibly encrypt.

5) Encrypt either Freelauncher or Windups, or anything else on the list that opens .fxes.

6) Copy over using an SMC reader, if available, or install PC-Link and cross your fingers on the PC you're on.

7) (Optional) Flash firmware so you don't need to worry about going through this palava again, and can just open up GPDrive and use that...

The key steps, of course, are (1) and (6); you need to find someone who's willing to let you piss about with their machine a bit in the first place.

You only need your original copy of freelauncer when you want to revert back to a gp32 firmware that doesn't support fxe loading & running. Which is only the original Korean firmware I believe.
I burned a special cd rom with all my original gp32 downloads, freelauncer, gpcinema driver software and original commercial games that are special to my gp32.
CHeers, Mark

Back