Can Anyone Identify This Game For Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure

Trust the recursion...
Back in the day, when I used to have a P1 133mhz, I used to have a ton of demo discs that came with video game magazines, and on these discs were usually lots of clips of different games (their names given of course), but there was in particular that my brother and I played a lot. I think it might have had the name "dragoon" in it. Since this was a long time ago, it would most likely be on something like the PS or Saturn or something.

Anyways, this is all I remember:
It appeared to be a turn-based RPG. There were two "heroes" or characters in battle, and they would have their "minions" surrounding them. When the battle would start, the minions (there were lots of them) from each side would run towards the center and kind of start fighting, then the screen would go to one of the two heroes and then you would be able to choose various things like attack and magic. You would then cast the magic spell on your enemy hero (heroine), causing him or her to get hurt, along with some of the minions. I also believe there was a gauge some where indicating how many minions there were for each player and who was leading in quantity.

So, does anybody have any idea of what game it is? Thanks.

Isn't that an action adventure type of game? The game I'm talking about is more of an RPG turn-based game.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out what game it was! It was Dragon Force for the Saturn! Now I remember the filename for the clip being dforce.mov, so my brother and I always called the game dforce.

Here's a pic of the game:
df110.jpg

I think I can - I had a came that looked identical to that on the Saturn called Dragon Force 2, so that'd quite possibly the one you're thinking of. It wasn't a turn based RPG, actually. Well - the map bit of it was kind of, inasfar as you got to organise your forces at the start of each day but most of it was in realtime and the battles certainly were (with the exception of spells which, iirc, you had to wait a while between using until a bar filled up. Or something).

No... make that definitely is; I recognise the name Goldark - wasn't he supposed to be the ruler of the evil empire or something?

Just as a side note, if you never have, you might want to try Tactis Ogre on SNES, since its virtually identical to it (if a bit darker in how it plays).

From Gamespot.com

Dragon Force
Publisher: Working Designs
Developer: Sega
Genre: Strategy
Release Date: 11/30/1996

Rating: 9.1 (superb)

Dragon Force is one of those rare games that demands countless hours of attention, hours that pass by unnoticed as day turns into night, and night back into day. In fact, this game alone makes the Sega Saturn worth purchasing.

Translated for American audiences by Working Designs, this strategy/RPG hybrid is constructed roughly along the same lines as the SNES title Ogre Battle. In Dragon Force, players find themselves in the magical land of Legendra, where they choose to lead one of eight different provinces in a united effort against the common threat of the "god of destruction," Madruk. Players command armies composed of either soldier, samurai, archer, mage, harpy, dragon, or zombie forces in an effort to capture enemy castles and leaders. But acquiring land and accumulating power isn't the only game in town: Players must also protect their territory and fend off the advances of the evil dark god.

Large scale battles often show the weakness of an RPG, but in Dragon Force they're among the best moments. Gamers send forces of up to four generals (who, in turn, command up to 100 troops) out into the world to raid castles or take on roving bands of enemies. The castles themselves contain as many as ten generals and their respective minions. That's good news for the player - though even better news is that enemy castles aren't often so heavily fortified. On the battlefield, fights are fought between two generals and their corresponding forces. The troops face off against each other while the generals fling their various spells from opposite sides of the combat zone. The carnage continues until either the enemy general is overwhelmed, or only the two generals are left - in which case a duel decides the melee. Happily, all forces throughout Legendra can be seen on the map simultaneously, cutting out the annoying "walk-a-few-steps-until-attacked" device that occurs entirely too often in most RPGs.

Dragon Force balances role-playing and strategy elements perfectly, intermittently directing the war of the land through storyline segments. And the ending is a stunning and climactic spectacle to behold. The game also offers a great deal of replayability, since storylines differ, depending on which of the eight main leaders is chosen (each storyline takes roughly 40-50 hours to play through successfully). Admittedly, gamers may be considerably less motivated to set aside another large chunk of time after winning as the first character...but the play is addictive enough that they'll probably be dragged back for another go-around.

I have Dragon Force on my saturn, its one of the best games on the machine. Definitly worth a play.

I think I can - I had a came that looked identical to that on the Saturn called Dragon Force 2, so that'd quite possibly the one you're thinking of. It wasn't a turn based RPG, actually. Well - the map bit of it was kind of, inasfar as you got to organise your forces at the start of each day but most of it was in realtime and the battles certainly were (with the exception of spells which, iirc, you had to wait a while between using until a bar filled up. Or something).

No... make that definitely is; I recognise the name Goldark - wasn't he supposed to be the ruler of the evil empire or something?

Just as a side note, if you never have, you might want to try Tactis Ogre on SNES, since its virtually identical to it (if a bit darker in how it plays).
I already mentioned that I found out what the game was.

Anyways, this thread can be locked now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back