Cabine Cabinet Cabinet

mattmagoo

OFFICIAL
Website
Visit site
OK, I am making a MAME cab

but I have hit a dilemma, what should I put on it

I have recently seen some lightguns, but i dont know if they are compatible with the optipac board, and whether they are worth all that money

if anyone knows of any other stuff i can put on it, or what emus to use i would be eternally grateful

definitely Neo Geo. Even just for Metal Slug, the Neo Geo has some wonderful games out there (and I almost never say wondeful) and they are even made for arcades in the fist place, so you could still have a working coin slot with it, if you were planning on doing that.

I'd go for some NeoGeo too, but that's probably because I already own a Neo cab :D

But, if I were to get a mame cab, I'd go for the classics first and work your way up. Defender, Track n' Field (make sure you have some quality, durable buttons for this one!), Double Dragon...there are hundreds of great arcade titles out there to choose from. Then I'd go on to the likes of Street Fighter II, Fatal Fury before you hit 3D stuff.

That's when you'll start needing the lightgun :p

hmm,

Im to young for some of that tho Huxley (showing ure age now)

when I was little i went down the arcade and played Space Harrier and Outrun and a little later the early NeoGeo games, so I dont think ill be as engrossed by the oldies as some others

I have decided to not have the Lightguns (YET)

I am putting MAME and Kawaks on it, along with SNES and MegaDrive emualtion

2 controllers with 8 buttons each

no coin door atm, but i will add one when i get more money

I dont know whether i have the finances to start this this year or next, so i will have to keep her on ice for a week, till i get it all sorted out

mattmagoo posted on Jul 20 2004 at 08:58 PM said:
hmm,

Im to young for some of that tho Huxley (showing ure age now)
:lol:

Yeah, well, just start off with whichever games you have fond memories of playing when you were a kid and then work your way up. So that would be Space Harrier and Outrun then :p

I don't understand, if you're making a MAME cabinet why not have every compatible game on it?

I won't speak for him, but if this were my MAME cab I'd be careful not to OD on everything right away. Pace yourself, give some quality time to each game on your cab and you'll enjoy yourself a whole lot more. That's the problem with emulation on any format (including GP32) - there's the temptation to take the games for granted and just 'skim' everything available to you. Personally, I like to complete a game before I move on to the next one (or at least get as far as possibly can).

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, huxley hit the nail on the head, I try to only have about 5 SNES/Megadrive games on my SMC at anyone time to get the most out of em

+ I only got a 20Gb HDD

mattmagoo posted on Jul 20 2004 at 08:58 PM said:
(...)
2 controllers with 8 buttons each
(...)
Why do you want 8 Buttons? I know no Arcarde Game that utilizes more than 6.

I am building it myself (I did have a Virtua Striker cab lined up but I had no way to transport it home)

and I am getting the parts for a total of £70 form Ultimark

I actually meant 7 button set up because I wanna have authentic Neo Geo and Capcom controls, so there will be 3 on the top and 4 on the bottom, (the bottom 4 for NeoGeo and the top 3 and the first 3 bottom ones for Capcom)

eg:
_I_ 0 0 0 _I_ 0 0 0
I 0 0 0 0 I 0 0 0 0

Huxley posted on Jul 21 2004 at 10:44 AM said:
I don't understand, if you're making a MAME cabinet why not have every compatible game on it?

I won't speak for him, but if this were my MAME cab I'd be careful not to OD on everything right away. Pace yourself, give some quality time to each game on your cab and you'll enjoy yourself a whole lot more. That's the problem with emulation on any format (including GP32) - there's the temptation to take the games for granted and just 'skim' everything available to you. Personally, I like to complete a game before I move on to the next one (or at least get as far as possibly can).
Fair enough, in that case I recommend Tempest and Prehistoric Isle.

CrazyDesi posted on Jul 21 2004 at 10:30 PM said:
Try getting a Dreamcast in there too. They are relatively cheap.
then i gotta wire up the controls, and thats something i really cant be arsed to do

althogu hplaying Soul Calibur in a cabinet would be awesome (I already have a DC so it would just be the cost of wiring and components, but its still a lot of hassle)

Theres lots of guides around for that sort of thing.

Still, I suppose the great thing about this project is you can keep adding to it in the future. It's going to be enough time and hassel just getting the cabinet all up with the emulators on.

btw, in case you don't know, there's a cool CD iso you can download that contains advancemame - I think it's called advancemenu, if this is in your PC, it'll boot straight to a nice customizable gui with screenshots or even little looping movies of each game. And without the need of changing your OS (like knoppix). Then, you can still keep windows/dos or whatever installed for the other stuff.

btw: good on you for doing it. Do it sooner rather than later (in case you change your mind or forget). I'd love to do it myself but you know: nagging missus, small house etc etc.... maybe one day.

don't forget:
DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! and send us pics of your progress.

i am waiting till tomorow to make up my mind coz I anm getting paid,

and I dont like MAME too much so I will mostly be using NeoRageX or Kawaks

I have managed to blag a wireless keyboard and mouse from work so there shouldnt be too much hassle

and I dont have a digital camera, looks like i'll be going for the old polaroid then scanning process if i do

Back