Caanoo Cover Problem Solved

Is anyone else having a heck of a hard time getting the Caanoo open? I can't seem to do step 2 (removing the back cover). It won't budge.

alyinsanfran said:
I'm wondering if anybody has tried covering the screen with aluminium foil wrap and then going at the plastic with a dremel or sandpaper.

I'd try it myself but I'd probably stuff it up.
I wouldn't do that. Probably riskier than opening up the Caanoo. I think I'd have to be more out of my mind than I currently am to be able to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Com64 said:
Is anyone else having a heck of a hard time getting the Caanoo open? I can't seem to do step 2 (removing the back cover). It won't budge.

The case is pretty tightly fitted together. I used a Revell blade to gently prise it apart on the side, near the bottom, then used a flathead screwdriver to open it up more. It took about ten minutes, since I didn't have the Caanoo in a vise or anything.

I'm in mid-operation right now. Got all the screws out, having a devil of a time getting the screen off. It's wedged in by the "lateral cover" (that ring around the edge with all the buttons on it). The OP said "remove the lateral cover," but didn't explain exactly how the beast is supposed to come off :)

Ok, after a lot of nerve-racking waggling and pulling, I finally got it all apart. The poor case made so much cracking and popping, it sounded like I was tearing into a hard-shell crab for dinner. It's all come apart apparently without damage, though. Time to break out the Dremel...

Well, I got the bevel cut down to size, put it all back together, and - DEAD.

I can't be sure, because there's no way to see in the photos, but I might have disconnected the power wires by accident. I have a blue and red wire that seem like they come from the battery, and which are now ending nowhere.

Oh well, killed it.

It's not like the Caanoo was worth playing MAME games with the vital parts of the top and bottom of the screen obscured, anyhow.

Maybe the Dingoo will be better.

RZZ said:
as you can see, top angles of display suffers bad quality pixels, both in color and shape, maybe wrong sized cover was done on purpose to hide this problem, what do you think?

Check the image in the Caanoo image viewer and zoom in. You'll see what it is. Jpeg compression artefacts. :) The screen is fine. That's why you can't see any problems in any games.

Thanks for the test image, I'm trying to open my caanoo for a different reason. I'm having trouble with my analog stick (it seems the handle has slipped off the joystick or something) and I'm trying to open the caanoo to adjust it.

Here's the problem:
I took out the four screws on the back of the outside casing (step 1) but I cannot get the outer case to open. I've tried prying it from the bottom edge as suggested, but it won't budge and I'm sure the plastic will break before I can get it open. Since I don't want to break my Caanoo, I feel pretty stuck.

Was there any trick to getting the outer case to separate once the screws were taken out? Has anyone had the problem I described?

Back