C64

eeekubuntu

Still Fresh
What is likly to happen to C64 emulation on Pandora?,
.sid tracking ?, .sid players? Fully vice port?

C64 is more important to me than my PC, and it's a 2.66ghz quad core I7 with 8gb ram and a 1gb ram ATI 4850 HD gfx card. C64 is the worlds greatest ever computer bar none.

The first time I ever used one, I was 7-8 years old and I had walked into a computer lab the size of a janitor's closet (2-3 computers). The old guy, Mr Maxwell taught kids how to compute as well as grow rhubarb in his backyard. It was the first time I ever used a digital art program. I drew batman in pop art motif, because of the color limitations. After that I played burger time. I thought it was weird because the floppy's were so big and floppy and at home I had an Atari ST.

The BSOD of a PC, or the beautiful work of art that is a C64 declairing it's got 38911 BASIC bytes free and is READY (blink blink blink)?

And c128... horrible ugly green screened jumped up expensive wannabe amiga thing - I guess at least it wasn't a ZX spectrum.

darien said:
I thought it was weird because the floppy's were so big and floppy and at home I had an Atari ST.

Well you should think yourself lucky that it even HAD a floppy drive as they were NOT cheap! I remember trying to buy a floppy drive for my tape-based system at a computer market from 'round my way. The guy there was trying to fob me off with this 3" proprietary jobbie which had about 8 games available for it and no way of purchasing blank disks. Ughhh!

TitanUranus said:
The BSOD of a PC, or the beautiful work of art that is a C64 declairing...

I don't recall any PCs showing the BSOD in the era of C64s!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
Well you should think yourself lucky that it even HAD a floppy drive as they were NOT cheap! I remember trying to buy a floppy drive for my tape-based system at a computer market from 'round my way. The guy there was trying to fob me off with this 3" proprietary jobbie which had about 8 games available for it and no way of purchasing blank disks. Ughhh!

Haha yeah, at that age I was just surprised to see a super thin 5 inch floppy. I assumed it was an older computer coz at home we had the Atari ST1040 with the 3.5 inchers and the games seemed a bit better by comparison. I later learned that they were out at the same time. Unfortunately, my childhood barely consists of memories of the C64. Just Atari ST and Amiga for me. I actually learned to read playing Leisure Suit Larry (try to guess how THAT screwed me up).

I have to admit I'm not entirely sure of the chronology but I assume the C64 was released quite a while before the ST. It had an amazingly long lifespan though. I remember trading my Sega Master System for a C64 and buying issues of 'commodore format' long after Megadrive and SNES had taken over the gaming scene. In fact you could still buy C64 and Speccy games from Boots. Oh happy days...

Unfortunately, my childhood consists of memories of [..snip..] Just Atari ST and Amiga

Absolutely nothing unfortunate about that! My brother had an Amiga 500 and CD32, and my best friend had an Atari ST1050. I remember going over to his house to try and make a game in STOS, all the time desperately saving for my own Atari STFM520 (never getting there) and then wetting my pants when I saw the Atari Falcon on Bad Influence!

I eventually acquired my brother's CD32, got myself an SX-1 unit (followed by an SX32 Pro) and my brief fling with the Atari abruptly ended.

TitanUranus said:
C64 is more important to me than my PC, and it's a 2.66ghz quad core I7 with 8gb ram and a 1gb ram ATI 4850 HD gfx card. C64 is the worlds greatest ever computer bar none.

Well, apart from the Speccy of course...

I swapped my first C64 for a Spectrum - my dad wasn't chuffed, as it was an xmas present but soon saw the wisdom of what I'd done when he got to coding on it :)

D.

For larks, I just kicked off a build of Frodo 4.1b on my beagleboard. It built fine, but doesn't run due to SDL issues - the same problem that's stopping me getting anywhere with CaPriCe. I look forward to having my Pandora with a working development environment!

Dunny said:
I swapped my first C64 for a Spectrum - my dad wasn't chuffed, as it was an xmas present but soon saw the wisdom of what I'd done when he got to coding on it :)

D.
You swapped your C64 for a Speccy??? I bet the other kids dad saw a bit of wisdom that day too, lol

Before the speccy bunch try n flame on let me just say this... I like all computers and im from an age when ANY computer was a bonus if your mum n dad could afford one but C64`s were double the price of speccy`s dude!

Plus of course my C64 was better LOL. No im just kidding... (or am I??? :p )

The C64 was really before my time (although I kinda grew up with a Plus4 before I even learned to read :p ), but I'm catching up: In February I bought an C64C with a 1541-II floppy drive for 20€ , still in its original packing (look at this beauty!). This baby was waiting exactly 20 years in the chemistry rooms of my school and was never used, it was beautiful to see the blue screen after I hooked it up on my TV card to play some game that I saved onto a 5¼" floppy with a self-made XE1541 adapter and OpenCBM, so I could test 2 gamepads I modified so that I could use them with it :D

Philly said:
Dunny said:

D.
You swapped your C64 for a Speccy??? I bet the other kids dad saw a bit of wisdom that day too, lol

It makes some sense if you notice that Dunny is from the UK - whilst the C64 was dominant in the US, the Speccy had a pretty strong lock on the UK.

And you have to admit the C64 basic is a bit, well, basic. :)

(I'm an Amstrad CPC guy, so I'm provably impartial in this debate THEY BOTH SUCK :D )

Pickle said:
ok i guess i have to be little more blunt. I ran vice on the pandora yesterday.
Woot. That is good news.

Back