C.e. Test Booked For 14 Oct 2009

Someone said earlier that the real FCC test certification would take 8-12 weeks?
Would that be 8-12 weeks AFTER the first real Pandora is made? :blink:
Or am I misunderstanding that somehow?

Aninhumer said:
Someone said earlier that the real FCC test certification would take 8-12 weeks?

The Pandora will be tested by a third party. It takes (normally) 8 weeks at minimum after they (the certification body) receive the results of the testing, after which they then make a response. It's not unknown for some devices to take 6 months or more to get a certificate - we had one device that was waiting 5 months, and we knew it had already passed.

There are mechanisms in place which can expedite the process so that it can take only a fortnight at most. I'm not suggesting that this will not be the case with the Pandora, but given this machine's track record for delays, I'd say it's an even bet that it will be delayed for at least three months from the point of manufacture.

This way, I'll not be upset when it's delayed again.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aninhumer said:

FCC testing, like the "full" or "final" CE testing, is to be done on a full, finished, Mass Production unit. So that needs the full, final case and the full, final keymat and so on. I can't vouch for the 8-12 weeks, nor can I confirm that ED "has a guy" who will get it done quicker, but the FCC testing needs a finished, final, retail unit to test. Apparently. So yes - the FCC delay doesn't start until they have finished retail Pandoras to perform the test on.

Future batches could have the CE and FCC certification on the cases, if they redo the relevant part of the mold.

"Let's wait and see what the future holds ...
in the next 2 months"

that is what Evil Dragon said in his blog. I thing I have lost something... That it means we have to wait minimum 2 months more to see our Pandoras?In spanish we say "Esto es el cuento de nunca acabar"

We don't plan to wait for the FCC, we will ship without it. Thinkgeek (for example) ship numerous items without FCC, as do hundreds of other online stores in the USA, and don't even get me started on ebay...

Near-kun said:
So... why exactly you guys need to to such a test?
Why not just the CE testing?
Because they want to be able to sell Pandoras to american retailers that then resell them, and that will require them to "export" the product officially to the US.

craigix said:
We don't plan to wait for the FCC, we will ship without it. Thinkgeek (for example) ship numerous items without FCC, as do hundreds of other online stores in the USA, and don't even get me started on ebay...

So this means, whe give our life in the hands of the good hardwaredevelop of Michael Weston?, The first 4000 pandoras has no certificat?, thats very strange..

matzesu said:
And whats yet? Do Craig sell the pandoras illegal to USA? ok his roof is a good hide when the guys from the fbi comes.. B)
No, because he/the OP team sells them directly to consumers, so it's the consumers' choice if they want to import something that hasn't been FCC tested.

@your previous post: there will still be CE testing I assume, so it's not like we'll get sub-standard devices.

dflemstr said:
Near-kun said:
Because they want to be able to sell Pandoras to american retailers that then resell them, and that will require them to "export" the product officially to the US.

Actually, right now, we don't.

craigix said:
dflemstr said:
Near-kun said:

I see, so then you can skip the whole FCC process altogether?

dflemstr said:
craigix said:
keywords: right now
possibly if OP goes gangbusters, US retailing might be in order, I would imagine

El Jefe said:
dflemstr said:
craigix said:
possibly if OP goes gangbusters, US retailing might be in order, I would imagine
Makes sense I guess... And me who wanted another craigix quote that everyone could interpret the heck out of... oh well. :p

dflemstr said:
El Jefe said:
dflemstr said:
craigix said:
Makes sense I guess... And me who wanted another craigix quote that everyone could interpret the heck out of... oh well. :p

ZOMG! CRIAG WILL NEVER SELL PANDORAS TO USA! NO PANDORA FOR MERKINS!

That do?

D.

Think about it: A CE certified product that is (initially) manufactured in the USA, is it still necessary to be FCC certified in order for american citizens to purchase the product? Remember the law states it is illegal to import, resale NON certified electronic products in america. The Pandora will be a CE certified product.

I believe the FCC is really for if the authorized dealer want to resale the Pandora from WITHIN the united states THEY would be covered. And thus they can go forward with only the CE marking until they make a deal with a dealer within the US.

borgqueenx said:
im glad this load of time wont effect shipping craig. nice to know :)

so basicly it wont matter a thing when C.e. test turns out bad or something?
No... if this preliminary CE test fails, they will need to fix the problem. But they don't need the official, delay-causing test until later (like, after they ship the first batch).

hobbyman II said:
what`s all the fuss about power supplies?, stuff like that you can order by the thousand online and they send em by next-day delivery, not an issue.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25017

http://www.order-bulk.com/UK-PSP-3000-PARTS-AC-ADAPTER-POWER-SUPPLY.html?currency=GBP

https://www.modernacc.com/products.php?product=Universal-AC-DC-Power-Supply-Wall-Charger-Adapter-for-Sony-PSP-{47}-PSP%252d2000-{47}-PSP%252d3000

prolly be able to get a PSP power supply from AliBaba or somewhere for a couple of quid each anyway if they buy bulk, not a problem.

Yea in bulk you can buy them for about $2 USD with shipping incuded.
http://www.dhgate.com/100-x-psp-new-wall-charger-ac-adapter-power/p-ff808081234a903601234add916139c2.html

Back