Bricked When Upgrading To 2.0.0 Help!

sully127

Still Fresh
Hey guys,

I was trying to follow the advice that I've received from some of you and upgrade from 1.4 to 2.0.0.

I followed the instructions to the letter
- formatted my SD Card to FAT32
- had only the 9 firmware files on it with no folders, etc
- booted the device with Start - Select held in

I got to the Upgrading firmware screen and suddenly it went white with a lot of static (like a broken tv)

I let it sit thinking maybe it would come out of it after upgrading the kernel, but nothing...

After a few minutes, I killed the power and now all I got is a white screen which slowly bleeds color down from the top.

Please tell me I'm not up the proverbial creek...

Were you using (fully charged) batteries or a power supply?
Have you tried flashing it again? I think you should be able to upgrade the firmware as long as U-Boot isn't corrupt.

Yes. I was fully charged. It was definitely not power related.

I read the unbricking guide, but I'm not sure if I should try flashing the file system or the kernel...

Still, whiting screen, coupled with random colour patches are text-book signs of dead batteries. Try again, with a full recharge :)

Holy crap... worked.

Patching on AC power now.

So relieved; thanks for dealing with this stupid n00b again, guys.

Good it worked out. Tip for the next time; don't include gp2xboot.img so you can always save it if something goes wrong... Also I recommend you upgrade to 2.1.1.

sully127 said:
I followed the instructions to the letter
- formatted my SD Card to FAT32
- had only the 9 firmware files on it with no folders, etc
- booted the device with Start - Select held in
Whoever gave you those instructions left out the most important part - never flash with batteries because you never know when they may die.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was the weirdest thing, though. The batteries didn't die; they're still working fine, but after the kernel upgrade, it wouldn't boot on anything but AC Power. :huh: Odd!

Back