Bricked Gp2x F100(b), $50

nubie

Recovering Jerk-A-Holic
Website
Visit site
I have a GP2X F100(B) that is bricked.

I have JTAG and Serial and have loaded uboot over the Jtag, it just stops after it says "NAND Probing".

I think that $50 is a good price for parts. or make an offer

The screen should be fine, it comes up to colored lines when the Uboot is executed from Jtag (I think the colored lines are on all the time, but uboot activates the backlight).

It runs off of the battery tray or the power jack, and it seems in pretty good shape, the stick feels tight, but I can't test if it is registering because it won't boot.

If people just want parts I can part it out a bit, but please don't ask for little parts.

Case and buttons: $20

Motherboard (will run programs put on with a Jtag setup, great if you need a dev board, NAND access freezes unit though):$25

Screen: $25

Make an offer, Or just get the whole thing and sell off what you don't want.

(PS, if you are a kind soul who wants to help me get it running, let me know if you have experience with this kind of GP2X failure and what the solution was. I might still sell it to you because I need the cash, but I wanted to try out some of the new stuff released in the last 6 months.)

If you are interested in pics just post here, I have a nice macro camera and tripod, I can probably get a shot of the colored lines so you can check for dead pixels (though I doubt that there are any.)

EDIT: Or make an offer.

Too bad you did not post this a few months ago... I could have used it, read the third page:http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42594
I have new plans for my GP2X now, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
palmertech said:
Too bad you did not post this a few months ago... I could have used it, read the third page:http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=42594
Sorry, how would you have fit the Motherboard into the GB Original? You would probably need a long ffc extender on a right angle.

Thanks for bumping the thread though :).

Still open to offers. I am contemplating swapping the NAND from a broken MP3 player, but I don't know if the firmware would recognize a different flash chip.

It might be able to use any chip that has the same pinout and commands, and just probe the nand info for you to see if you are troubleshooting.

I have never used jtag but if you can completely program a blank chip with it you should be able to switch it out. Just make sure that the NAND you replace it with has the same specs as the old one(write/read hold, and setup times). Also check the programming specs it might have to have a certain voltage set or something although I believe that flash usually just has a WE lock that needs to be set in order to reprogram it.

dpoarch said:
I have never used jtag but if you can completely program a blank chip with it you should be able to switch it out. Just make sure that the NAND you replace it with has the same specs as the old one(write/read hold, and setup times). Also check the programming specs it might have to have a certain voltage set or something although I believe that flash usually just has a WE lock that needs to be set in order to reprogram it.
From what I hear Jtag is supposed to be used to program a NAND chip directly, but the implementation that is used in the GP2X is only connected to the MMSP2 processor, so the Jtag loads a modified boot loader (with integrated firmware update tool) that reads off of the SD card slot and flashes the chip.

I have a thread detailing the mod/replacement: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=S...=41&t=43972

I have the datasheet on both chips, they are both samsung, and the only difference I see is the 1GB chip may have a 10us longer seek time (and why not? It is much much bigger :)).

nubie said:
From what I hear Jtag is supposed to be used to program a NAND chip directly, but the implementation that is used in the GP2X is only connected to the MMSP2 processor, so the Jtag loads a modified boot loader (with integrated firmware update tool) that reads off of the SD card slot and flashes the chip.

I have a thread detailing the mod/replacement: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=S...=41&t=43972

I have the datasheet on both chips, they are both samsung, and the only difference I see is the 1GB chip may have a 10us longer seek time (and why not? It is much much bigger :)).

You *should* be OK with a 10us longer seek time, but remember that the kernel is hardcoded to the times for the old NAND, so you *may* get it marking blocks as bad if they take too long to respond. As for JTAG, it is meant to be connected to the CPU since it is actually for debugging most of the time, not flashing NAND chips.

nubie said:
palmertech said:
Sorry, how would you have fit the Motherboard into the GB Original? You would probably need a long ffc extender on a right angle.

No need, it folds to right angle perfectly with a bit of tweaking. At least in the GP2Xs I have seen, the ribbon cable has a forward to back fold in it for some reason, you actually have quite a bit of slack to work with.

palmertech said:
nubie said:
. . . how would you have fit the Motherboard into the GB Original? You would probably need a long ffc extender on a right angle.
No need, it folds to right angle perfectly with a bit of tweaking. At least in the GP2Xs I have seen, the ribbon cable has a forward to back fold in it for some reason, you actually have quite a bit of slack to work with.

Cool, I almost want to try it.

Bump, anybody need F100 B parts? Make an offer.

Back