What Should I Do Now? :(

david_vila

Still Fresh
Hello,

This is my very first post here in gp32x.de forums.

So, I bought a black caanoo from play-asia 1 month ago, and it arrived here in Brazil 2 days ago, everything was working fine, i tested some emulators and they were working out-of-the-box. So I decided to upgrade the firmware from 1.5.0 to 1.6.0, but something really wrong happened during the process.

I followed all the steps mentioned in the official website and then the caanoo stucked in the "Firmware upgrading..." message for almost one hour and a half, so i decided to reboot the caanoo, and then it bricked, it doesn't even turn on now, but when i connect it to my PC the red light(led?) turns on like if it was recharging.

So, is there a way to fix it, or to send back for them to fix? I don't really know what i'm gonna do with my broken caanoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try flashing it with a different SD card. Only 2GB card Worked for me. If it does not turn on at all I guess you are stuck and maybe need to return it.

/Uni

Hi,

What did you mean with don't start up? Does the CAANOO screen appears? If so reflashing (retry all steps, best with a normal SD card, no SDHC) should solve the problem, if not I would send it back, because this means you bootloader is bricked and you can't repair it. :(

I also bricked my caanoo during the update. I screwed up some update files... <_<
After that it didn't turn on. That means it was really death. So I returned it to the official AS-Center of GPH and they reflashed the broken bootloader. Sadly this took nearly one month. But now it is working like it should. :)

lenrlad said:
Hi,

What did you mean with don't start up? Does the CAANOO screen appears? If so reflashing (retry all steps, best with a normal SD card, no SDHC) should solve the problem, if not I would send it back, because this means you bootloader is bricked and you can't repair it. :(

I also bricked my caanoo during the update. I screwed up some update files... <_<
After that it didn't turn on. That means it was really death. So I returned it to the official AS-Center of GPH and they reflashed the broken bootloader. Sadly this took nearly one month. But now it is working like it should. :)

I tried to reinstall the same firmware that came with it (1.5.0), but I guess that the failed upgrade broke the bootloader 'cause the caanoo logo screen does not appear and the blue led doesn't turn on. So that means that my caanoo is officially dead ¬¬, well, should i send it to Korean AS-Center or to the German one? I live in Brazil, and the taxes for sending items to other countries are quite expensive ( Basically, everything that involves sending/receiving foreign products in Brazil are expensive because of the Goddamn taxes >_< ).

Note: I used the 4GB card that came with my caanoo to do the upgrade( I don't know if its SD or SDHC )

EDIT: i've just checked the prices, to send it to Germany it would be 36 USD and to send to Korea it would be 25 USD. I guess it's better to send it to Korea.

I think i'll never try to update again :(

Too bad, man. I don't know, but maybe you should take the SD card out of the Caanoo, and then try to turn it on. If it turns on like this, then the SD card is the problem.

i guess you could send it back and say you received it like that, still would have to spend a bit as you say on taxes though :(

That's why you have to be patient with a Caanoo firmware update. It's supposed to be stuck at that screen and you're supposed to wait. The newest firmware really is worth upgrading to IMHO.

Com64 said:
That's why you have to be patient with a Caanoo firmware update. It's supposed to be stuck at that screen and you're supposed to wait. The newest firmware really is worth upgrading to IMHO.

I agree with the part about having patience to wait the firmware update, but it should'nt take so long ( one hour and a half ) AFAIK, i guess my card filesystem was corrupted or something like that.

It took me about 1 or 2 minutes to update my firmware from 1.5 to 1.6. It was a snap. Anyone would have turned the Caanoo off after one and a half hours. If it wasn't done by then, something was already wrong (me thinks).

Btw, any SD card over 2GB is HC (high-capacity). But some have updated successfully with and SDHC card. I couldn't.

You should not be paying any taxes when returning it for repair. Ask your customs office how to avoid it before you send it. You have already paid taxes on the product. It has already been imported to Brazil. It is not as if you are reimporting it. I mean, either the product has been imported or not. If it was like that, then you should also get the taxes back when you send it to GPH, as you are exporting it :) (or Brazil has some fucked up customs laws ;) )

/Uni

Hi,
If you say, that the German sending is more expensive than to Korea, send it to Korea.
I know from me and some other with the same problem, and they sent their Caanoo to the German one, but all their caanoos are sent to Korea to repair by the AS-Center. <_< This was mainly the cause for the long time it took (nearly one month). So it could be faster if you send it directly to Korea.

EDIT: Missunderstood your second last post ;)

Well, i'll send them an email ( with my invoice for warranty ) and then i'll try to send it to Korea as soon as i can ( i don't think i'm gonna have to pay any extra taxes for it, however i'm gonna pay to send it back to Korea anyway ).

Thanks alot for your advice! I appreciate it.

u9i said:
It took me about 1 or 2 minutes to update my firmware from 1.5 to 1.6. It was a snap. Anyone would have turned the Caanoo off after one and a half hours. If it wasn't done by then, something was already wrong (me thinks).

Btw, any SD card over 2GB is HC (high-capacity). But some have updated successfully with and SDHC card. I couldn't.

You should not be paying any taxes when returning it for repair. Ask your customs office how to avoid it before you send it. You have already paid taxes on the product. It has already been imported to Brazil. It is not as if you are reimporting it. I mean, either the product has been imported or not. If it was like that, then you should also get the taxes back when you send it to GPH, as you are exporting it :) (or Brazil has some fucked up customs laws ;) )

/Uni
Mine took at least an hour. I was using an 8GB SDHC Class 6 card.

I'm really sorry for reviving this topic but...

one month ago, I tried to use the website ( fungp.com ) to request customer service, but the site's layout was so f@!<~! up ( and it still f@!<~! up until now ) that i couldn't fill the form properly, so i decided to send an email to that address -> Tonyhan@gp2x.com ( as it appears on fungp ) explaining everything that happened to me ( and some questions as well ) and i also sent my invoice attached to the message.

now it has been 1 month that i have no answer. well, I don't know if that email address is wrong or it's not being used anymore, and the fungp website looks abandoned.

i really would like to know what's going on with fungp and the customer service.

Back