Brand new Pandora, battery health only at 90%

1313Q

Still Fresh
Hello,

I just got a Pandora about a week ago. It's great so far, but I'm having a few battery issues. a few of them can't really be helped by the forum, but one of them is that the System Info application says my battery health is at 90%. Given that it's only been a week, is this something that is going to be a problem later on down the road? Do I have a faulty battery? That's what I came here to ask.

My other issues (in case you were curious) :

1) Screen flicker- fixed by placing a small piece of paper in the battery case, pushing the connectors together.
2) Now the battery panel is a bit warped, and it won't turn on at all without the paper in there.
3) Pandora can not be off and charging- automatically turns on every time I plug it in (To wall outlet or USB/MicroUSB).

Any help is appreciated,

Einhander is hard.

3) Pandora can not be off and charging- automatically turns on every time I plug it in (To wall outlet or USB/MicroUSB).

This is normal behaviour, the Pandora does not have a 'mini kernel' for charging purposes like most phones / tablets so it boots normally to allow it to charge.

The 90% battery life was probably an issue from that flickering you had - I guess the battery didn't have proper contact which confused the calibrator.
Please open the battery compartment, remove the battery for one minute, reinsert it (incl. your paper), close it down.

After one or two charges, everything should be normal again.

I also have a folded up piece of paper wedging up my battery.  Such is the unfortunate nature of a tight budget and inexperienced company.  I know it's not much help now but if you're at all interested in the Pyra ED has mentioned they learned a lot from the Pandora and such problems won't happen again.
Instead we'll get all new and exciting problems. ;)

I think there were only a couple of production runs for the batteries - I think mine started out with about 93% of design, since I suspect it had been sitting on the shelf since the original run back then.  The one you bought has probably been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years.

The good news it that my battery has only gone down  to 92% in the past three years since owning it and using it most days.

Does the system info report a different value from what the actual battery meter reads?  The fuel gauge has an auto-calibration to compensate for wear over time so even if it can only store 90% of designed capacity it'll still read 100% when the battery is as charged as it can get.
As long as the battery meter is reading 100% before it stops charging everything should be fine, I don't know what the system info does to get its percentage though.

Yes.  The battery monitor reports a percentage of the current maximum charge - it should always charge up to 99%.  The figure I'm reporting is the battery health percentage, which is a percentage of the current max charge versus designed charge (4400MAh).

I'm not sure off-hand which measure it uses for its bar graph display.  I've a vague recollection of it being different to the number displayed by the battery monitor, but that might just be the higher sampling frequency that sysinfo uses.

Back