Brain Assist-type Games For Gp2x?

Joshua B

Still Fresh
My girlfriend has a GP2X F100, and I'm her tech support. I've loaded it up with her favorite SNES, Sega, and arcade classics. Lately, she's seen the Brain Assist TV ads for the DS and she'd like something similar for the GP2X. Anything like that available?

No, but I think there are some brain testing puzzle games in archive.

I was thinking about working on some brain training games back when the F200 was announced, I lost my motivation of working on one, since my focused is turned to a group of other projects that I'm doing that is taking longer than I thought overall. Hopefully someone has the motivation to do one on both systems because that is a really good idea.

REWORD is the best homebrew ive got on my SD card...it gets more action than DN3d !!

just waiting for an 9 letter one so i can practice my countdown skills.

emphy said:
Ghostpix is great fun:

http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,1646

Up to a point... there's a puzzle I've been stuck on for *months* that basically requires guesswork after a point, with about 7 lots of 1/3 chances of success (i.e. p(success) = ~4.6*10^-4 ). This is possible, but only if you parallel your progress on the whole puzzle on squared paper so you can effectively save information discovered last time you died, and still get back there.

Irregular cross-hatch patterns in Picross games are *evil*. Especially if you want to solve the puzzle deductively (which, I've come to the conclusion, is not possible).

Last edited by a moderator:
adamclement said:
REWORD is the best homebrew ive got on my SD card...it gets more action than DN3d !!

just waiting for an 9 letter one so i can practice my countdown skills.
Cheers dude - latest version 0.4 has two new options, Speed6 and TimeTrial, that more people may enjoy!

I have been asked about a 7 letter version, which I may do at some point. Don't know about a 9 though! It shouldn't be too difficult, but the Pandora version (as soon as I get one) would make it easier due to the screen size without having to redo all the letter sprites etc.

Al

Line O'Sevens said:
How about the Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection (aka STPPC2x), currently being ported by ledow?
21 playable puzzle games to bend your miiiiiiind...
Yep. They've certainly screwed my mind up. The next beta has the full configuration of all the games and believe me, there are some serious puzzles in there. I think it's probably the closest I've seen to "IQ-test" style puzzles on the GP2X, which is why I wanted to port it. There are still three or four games that I just won't touch personally (except from a coding point of view) because I can't figure out how to solve the damn things easily even though I know how they work! And it's 26 puzzles now (27 if you count the only non-working one).

There's some simple favourites like "solo" (Sudoku), "mines" (Minesweeper, the one that doesn't work yet), "fifteen" (sliding puzzle) etc. and some that are much less common and will tax your brain. Personally, I love "bridges" (30x30, 4 bridges max, Hard level or it's just not a challenge... ) and "net". "Untangle" is a good five-minute game for those without a mathematical/logical bent and the wife loves "dominosa".

Tobriand said:
Ghostpix is great fun:

Up to a point... there's a puzzle I've been stuck on for *months* that basically requires guesswork after a point, with about 7 lots of 1/3 chances of success (i.e. p(success) = ~4.6*10^-4 ). This is possible, but only if you parallel your progress on the whole puzzle on squared paper so you can effectively save information discovered last time you died, and still get back there.

Irregular cross-hatch patterns in Picross games are *evil*. Especially if you want to solve the puzzle deductively (which, I've come to the conclusion, is not possible).
I have to agree with this... I love Ghostpix but you should never have to guess on Picross... especially not if you are punished for wrong answers so harshly. I'm waiting for "Logic Pro" and "Logic Pro 2" support for MAME... we're really close to the version of MAME they were introduced in and they are like Ghostpix but better - even includes 2-player support that the wife loves. Although we have no idea what the characters are saying, so we've nicknamed the game "Green-jumbly" because one of the voices says something like that when you do well.

Back