Blocking Animated Gifs In Explorer

first let me say that I refuse to "upgrade" my browser from explorer. Whenever I go to any forum, my computer slows to a crawl from the animated gif files. avatars, sigs--my 2002 celeron simply can't take this kind of abuse in its old age...

on this forum, it seems to be some girl eating bread--the rest of them don't kill me, but that one really does. at least I think it's bread, since I never seem to finish the clip. ...that saddam one is pretty funny, though...

anyway, is there any way I can freeze them on frame 1 with internet explorer?

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 24 2005 at 02:50 PM said:
first let me say that I refuse to "upgrade" my browser from explorer.  Whenever I go to any forum, my computer slows to a crawl from the animated gif files.  avatars, sigs--my 2002 celeron simply can't take this kind of abuse in its old age...

on this forum, it seems to be some girl eating bread--the rest of them don't kill me, but that one really does.  at least I think it's bread, since I never seem to finish the clip.  ...that saddam one is pretty funny, though...

anyway, is there any way I can freeze them on frame 1 with internet explorer?

You need popup blocker ^.^ and set a link to this to be blocked.
http://www.picpile.com/uploads/468868855.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I get pissed off by garbage anime too. Keep that shit on your machine, not on mine god damn it.

yes, that's the girl *ROFL* it only takes me 10-15 seconds of waiting before my computer chunks enough to scroll her off the page.

actually I just read the 'other' thread about sig standards and killed them all totally from within 'my controls->board settings'

I don't see any seriously bad avatars, so they're staying on for now.
with these settings in place, maybe...just maybe...my garbage celeron will not have to be replaced until vista comes out...

I refuse to "upgrade" to firefox. I feel I wait long enough to launch internet explorer, and I remember how those 3rd party browsers launched.

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 24 2005 at 04:20 PM said:
yes, that's the girl *ROFL*  it only takes me 10-15 seconds of waiting before my computer chunks enough to scroll her off the page.

actually I just read the 'other' thread about sig standards and killed them all totally from within 'my controls->board settings'

with these settings in place, maybe...just maybe...my garbage celeron will not have to be replaced until vista comes out...

I refuse to "upgrade" to firefox.  I feel I wait long enough to launch internet explorer, and I remember how those 3rd party browsers launched.

Ya firefox has a few exploits in it that can bypass even the bestfirewalls using ports or something..

My buddy had nortan,macofee, and some other godly firewalls/virus protection and his computer got screwed a few days after installing firefox.

Ya the girl is annoying eh? sry bout that I was bored haha

Get windows popup blocker, or yahoo or something like that they should be free.

I use 3 computers to access this forum. A computer with firefox on 56k another with firefox on broadband and a work computer with IE. I cannot install any software on the work computer and I don't want to miss out on peoples signatures in general so the solution I have found is to put Drak on ignore.

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 25 2005 at 12:20 AM said:
yes, that's the girl *ROFL* it only takes me 10-15 seconds of waiting before my computer chunks enough to scroll her off the page.

I refuse to "upgrade" to firefox. I feel I wait long enough to launch internet explorer, and I remember how those 3rd party browsers launched.
Just try firefox now, it's faster loading than internet explorer. I used to stay away from it because of how slow mozilla was, but I tried it a few months ago and it was brilliant

Drak said:
Ya firefox has a few exploits in it that can bypass even the bestfirewalls using ports or something..
In related news, COMPUTER HACKERS CAN TURN YOUR COMPUTER INTO A TICKING TIME-BOMB MORE AT 11.

I'm sure it would help to, uh, know what you're talking about...

iignotus posted on Dec 25 2005 at 05:53 PM said:
Drak said:
In related news, COMPUTER HACKERS CAN TURN YOUR COMPUTER INTO A TICKING TIME-BOMB MORE AT 11.

I'm sure it would help to, uh, know what you're talking about...
I heard burglars had secret ways of entering houses, I think they were called doors.

Opera doesent load too slowly for me. Firefox a second or more than IE but then I never load more than one actual window, or look at/ wait for ads to load, or view elements of websites I dont want to... or... or.

Also if Firefox has exploits they are way less than that of IE.

Plus I feel cleaner.

edit: I have sigs turns off on GP32X anyways :p

Drak posted on Dec 25 2005 at 12:29 AM said:
Oh, no!!! PORTS! they must be clearly the most horrifying form of security holes!!!

Damn you, ports!!!

Seriously though, all internet/network-related software is using ports.

IE only loads faster than any of the other browsers because most of it is already loaded with windows (Just type a URL in a standard windows address bar and see), Because it is tightly intergrated into windows, Which contributes to alot of windows vulnerabilities. It`s a bag a shit, So basically don`t use it, If you know whats good for you.

I use Opera, But use anything but IE if you want a peaceful life without all the hassle, Spyware, Pop-ups and other shit that comes from using IE. Scrape it off the bottom of your shoe and rid yourself from the nightmare.

Get rid of IE from windows completely by using 98lite, 2000lite or xplite, Google it.

Trooper

right, except that I've repeatedly stated, numerous times, in every post including the start of the thread, that I'm not switching from internet explorer.

My computer's fairly well wound, and short of animated gifs, my browser has had no issues. I also doubt very much that it will suddenly develop them. I'm aware that many people have very good reasons why firefox is 'better'. since I don't live in a cave I've heard them all before, and many make good sense--for other users.
But seeing as you've already correctly pointed out that I load much of IE on boot, I see no reason not to use it to browse the internet. I certainly don't feel like unnecessarily messing with a perfectly functional operating system to kill what is probably the most used application on my machine.

they're just applications, not religious crusades. Go convert somebody else.

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 27 2005 at 01:19 AM said:
right, except that I've repeatedly stated, numerous times, in every post including the start of the thread, that I'm not switching from internet explorer.

My computer's fairly well wound, and short of animated gifs, my browser has had no issues. I also doubt very much that it will suddenly develop them. I'm aware that many people have very good reasons why firefox is 'better'. since I don't live in a cave I've heard them all before, and many make good sense--for other users.
But seeing as you've already correctly pointed out that I load much of IE on boot, I see no reason not to use it to browse the internet. I certainly don't feel like unnecessarily messing with a perfectly functional operating system to kill what is probably the most used application on my machine.

they're just applications, not religious crusades. Go convert somebody else.
well try them, maybe they won't slow down on animated gifs

Back