Software Blindly setting up a VNC server?

Alperoot

Welcome! Welcome to Airstrip 17.
So, I've created a thread some time ago which I explained what happened to my Pandora. I can't unscrew it (screws seems to be stuck there, despite the fact that I've never tried to open the thing before)q, and I also don't have the oppurtunity to send it to ED. I don't want to be stuck with something I paid a good amount of money on which does not work, so I want to set up a VNC server on it.
vZoDZr.jpg

As you can see, this is my screen and it is like that, just a bit different on the recovery menu. Is there a way I can setup a VNC connection blindly?

(I don't have the TV-out cable btw)

there is a vnc server already set up, you just have to launch "x11vnc" from the terminal

the default port is 5000 if i remember well (I didn't remembered well, it's 5900, and if it's launched more then one time the port becomes 5901, 5902, etc...)

Last edited:
Actually, it seems to be port 5900 by default. To bring up a terminal, assuming you're running xfce, log on (I find it best to press enter twice before logging on in case the cpu speed question comes up), then once the desktop loads, press the pandora button then down twice, then enter.

Meanwhile, it occurred to me that to actually get vnc and other stuff set up in the first place, it might be a good idea to have ssh access in to the machine. To get to the right settings app, you need to press the pandora button (to get the menu up) then down five times (settings), right, down ten times (startup settings), enter. Then down three times (enable/disable services at boot) then enter, then down twice (dropbear sshd), enter, tab, tab, enter (ok).

Actually, it seems to be port 5900 by default. To bring up a terminal, assuming you're running xfce, log on (I find it best to press enter twice before logging on in case the cpu speed question comes up), then once the desktop loads, press the pandora button then down twice, then enter.

Meanwhile, it occurred to me that to actually get vnc and other stuff set up in the first place, it might be a good idea to have ssh access in to the machine. To get to the right settings app, you need to press the pandora button (to get the menu up) then down five times (settings), right, down ten times (startup settings), enter. Then down three times (enable/disable services at boot) then enter, then down twice (dropbear sshd), enter, tab, tab, enter (ok).
Isn't there an easier solution? Like, can't we just try doing that from the recovery menu's terminal? I would try that, but I couldn't find any photos of Pandora's recovery menu, so I didn't have a guide.

I hope wifi is already autoconnecting, else could be the hell

The ssh thing is useful indeed, but if it's not already up, it is better to use vnc first and set everything else while using it
[doublepost=1482057763,1482056907][/doublepost]I found something easier using my blind pandora :D

(Considering that your pandora connects to the WIFI automatically... and I hope so)

After the password request screen, if you have it, press ALT+F2 (this will open the "run command" window) and then type "x11vnc" and press enter

now you have the vnc server started

Well, then someone else will have to give you the exact instructions to connect to wifi... I can't try those because if I lose the connection I'm lost too :D

But also MOAR informations are needed:

First of all, is your wifi connection already saved in the Network Manager list ?

If so, was it saved automatically or you named the configuration manually ?

If it is not in that list we have to go to more complicated patterns

Well, then someone else will have to give you the exact instructions to connect to wifi... I can't try those because if I lose the connection I'm lost too :D

But also MOAR informations are needed:

First of all, is your wifi connection already saved in the Network Manager list ?

If so, was it saved automatically or you named the configuration manually ?

If it is not in that list we have to go to more complicated patterns
I have no clue about those Network manager list thingies. But I'm sure that my Wi-Fi connection is saved on the Pandora.

That could be a beginning... because if it was automatically saved, it is called "Auto" + space + "YOUR_WIFI_NAME"

and a command like this:

Code:
nmcli c up "Auto YOUR_WIFI_NAME"

should connect to your router (and works better if the password was saved too ;) )

Now I just don't remember how to turn on the wifi on the pandora... (waiting for some help)

Then you could create with another PC a bash script (a text file with .sh extension), where you will put all these commands, then you can put it in an SD, and at the ALT+F2 screen you will have to just run this file

It should contain:

- a command to start wifi
- a command to connect to your router
- a command to start the vnc server

Now, the only issue could be to know the IP of the device once it is connected... and I hope you can find it using your router (many of them have a list of connected devices), else more solutions will come...

Once you have a vnc session everything will become easier and you will be able to set everything you need

Last edited:
That could be a beginning... because if it was automatically saved, it is called "Auto" + space + "YOUR_WIFI_NAME"

and a command like this:

Code:
nmcli c up "Auto YOUR_WIFI_NAME"

should connect to your router (and works better if the password was saved too ;) )

Now I just don't remember how to turn on the wifi on the pandora... (waiting for some help)

Then you could create with another PC a bash script (a text file with .sh extension), where you will put all these commands, then you can put it in an SD, and at the ALT+F2 screen you will have to just run this file

It should contain:

- a command to start wifi
- a command to connect to your router
- a command to start the vnc server

Now, the only issue could be to know the IP of the device once it is connected... and I hope you can find it using your router (many of them have a list of connected devices), else more solutions will come...

Once you have a vnc session everything will become easier and you will be able to set everything you need
Creating the .sh file should not be a problem. However, running it could be. I can't even be sure if it is showing the Desktop menu or not, it doesn't seem like it shows a difference when the screen changes. The lines only differ when I hold R button while it is powering up. My question is, will a mini-HDMI or micro-HDMI cable work with it? Or can I find a similar TV-out cable outside of DragonBox Shop?

There are no hdmi cables for the panda, and the only TV-OUT is the dragonbox one, but it also require to be activated via software... there is another inteface that can be used with a monitor but it's not graphic and mainly used for debug/fiddling purposes...

You can try to put THIS script in a SD card (remove the .txt extension), and try to run it after pressing ALT+F2, like this:

Code:
gksudo bash /media/SDNAME/krled.sh (then press enter, write the root password and press enter again)

if your LEDs goes crazy, then you are at the desktop and commands can be run

EDIT:
corrected because it require root

EDIT:
nevermind... seems like that script doesn't work anymore :(

EDIT:
corrected with "gksudo"... the script gives and error at the end but it works

Last edited:
There are no hdmi cables for the panda, and the only TV-OUT is the dragonbox one, but it also require to be activated via software... there is another inteface that can be used with a monitor but it's not graphic and mainly used for debug/fiddling purposes...

You can try to put THIS script in a SD card (remove the .txt extension), and try to run it after pressing ALT+F2, like this:

Code:
sudo bash /media/SDNAME/krled.sh (then press enter, write the root password and press enter again)

if your LEDs goes crazy, then you are at the desktop and commands can be run

EDIT:
corrected because it require root

EDIT:
nevermind... seems like that script doesn't work anymore :(
I was just getting ready to put it to my SD card...

Back