Blazer (commerical Game) - 50% Off! ($3.50)

icurafu

The Hallucinogenic Elf
Website
gamesreborn.blogspot.com
boxart.jpg

http://clickgamer.com/moreinfo.htm?pid=1477&section=GP2X

Blazar is a classic arcade-style sidescrolling shoot-em-up game situated in space. Collect powerups, bonuses and weapon upgrades, shoot as many enemies as possible and try to stay alive!

Blazar has been nominated for a 2005 Best Software Award in the "Shooting Games" category (Smartphone version) by the Pocket PC magazine staff and our Board of Experts!

I've bought to review in the next issue of GPXile - Look out for that!

pretty cool! I hope people will support this dev aswell as the others.

StarG said:
What about payment: this site seems to accept CC's + paypal only. Is paypal still CC only ?
You can propably use debit card, too. I can use the same card, I use to draw funds from ATM to pay through paypal. Visa Electron, issued by my local bank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already have blazar maybe i'll get quartz2 as well with the sale.

I think blazar has unfairly gotten a lot criticism because its commercial and the graphics aren't anything amazing.

however it always was pretty cheap, (a lot cheaper than vektar or payback) the graphics aren't that bad, the randomly generated levels give it high replay value, its just plain good shmup fun, and you can submit your highscores online.

because the environment can do a lot of damage to you which path you take through the level really does matter and it can affect your strategy. it has a nice minimap showing you whats around. the control is pretty tight and its just an all around good, replayable, shmup. its nice to play a good non emulated shmup on the gp2x and its one of few games that lets you submit your highscores online which is something i wish i could see in more gp2x games.

so anyway blazar is definitely worth the $3.50 it costs with the sale.

This is more the model I wish all commercial gp2x projects would take. low cost downloads.

Is that the price for download or do you get it on SD?
Its nice to see that there`s a demo for the 2X on the site.

jbrodack said:
I already have blazar maybe i'll get quartz2 as well with the sale.

I think blazar has unfairly gotten a lot criticism because its commercial and the graphics aren't anything amazing.

however it always was pretty cheap, (a lot cheaper than vektar or payback) the graphics aren't that bad, the randomly generated levels give it high replay value, its just plain good shmup fun, and you can submit your highscores online.

because the environment can do a lot of damage to you which path you take through the level really does matter and it can affect your strategy. it has a nice minimap showing you whats around. the control is pretty tight and its just an all around good, replayable, shmup. its nice to play a good non emulated shmup on the gp2x and its one of few games that lets you submit your highscores online which is something i wish i could see in more gp2x games.

so anyway blazar is definitely worth the $3.50 it costs with the sale.

This is more the model I wish all commercial gp2x projects would take. low cost downloads.
that's how i feel about it too. graphics could be better but they're definitely not bad, but more importantly the controls are fluid and the gameplay is interesting. great price.

i hope there's an s-tris 3 in the works someday :)

I just downloaded the trial...
It's the most boring shooter I've ever played. There's not much action in the initial level, other than trying not to hit the walls, and avoiding the sticky bad guys. It's more of a maze wanderer than shootemup. Yawn.

The graphics are adequate. Good enough, but not spectacular. The music is dull. There isn't much animation. And it's S-L-O-W moving. It won't get your heart pumping. doodlydoodlydoodlydoodly It's worth $3.50 to support gp2x developers, though.

Your mileage may vary. (My favorite shooter this week is Blazing Star for the NeoGeo)

I haven't seen too many really great gp2x games yet. The emulation scene is fantastic, so there's lots of great games from the consoles to play, but the gp2x specific games seem a little weak so far. Am I just looking in the wrong places?

I have a couple of retro-arcade games in the works for the Gp2x. I hope to get the first one out in the next month or so. It should be worth $3.50.

ozgrab1.gif

berighteous said:
I just downloaded the trial...
It's the most boring shooter I've ever played. There's not much action in the initial level, other than trying not to hit the walls, and avoiding the sticky bad guys. It's more of a maze wanderer than shootemup. Yawn.

The graphics are adequate. Good enough, but not spectacular. The music is dull. There isn't much animation. And it's S-L-O-W moving. It won't get your heart pumping. doodlydoodlydoodlydoodly It's worth $3.50 to support gp2x developers, though.

Your mileage may vary. (My favorite shooter this week is Blazing Star for the NeoGeo)

I haven't seen too many really great gp2x games yet. The emulation scene is fantastic, so there's lots of great games from the consoles to play, but the gp2x specific games seem a little weak so far. Am I just looking in the wrong places?

I have a couple of retro-arcade games in the works for the Gp2x. I hope to get the first one out in the next month or so. It should be worth $3.50.

ozgrab1.gif
If people make similar comments about your game, you can't be offended after your comments.

Quartz looks nice.

This took some thought before I actually bought this. Normally I'd pounce on almost any decent game for a killer price like this (and I'd definitely qualify this game as above average from the time I spent with the demo and now the full thing), but with the Wii's virtual console offering amazing titles for only a few bucks more, I had to think twice before deciding to get it.

The game is fun, but my only complaint is that it seems like it'll get old after awhile. I'll enjoy it while I can though.

My first thought about blazar was how dull & sterile the graphics looked to me (screenshot based opinion).

After i downloaded the demo i found it better than i originally thought and bought it afterwards. Still the game cannot compete with milestones like old amiga or pc games like project x or tyrian. Still its a nice little game on its own behalf. The non-obvious level design where you really watch out where the bad places are gives it a plus :)

Pros:
* Simple & smooth gameplay
* quite funny
* fair ... usually you know why you lost a live
* interesting level design (random generated?)
* the feeling you have supported a small mostly independant game label

Cons:
* could need some polish (some effects more and some eye candy would do great)
* music is dull (->custom music ?)
* power up symbols look all the same (nearly)
* activation failed the first time, needed to reorder the key (shame!)

First conclusion: for the price a definite interesting game. I hope the game studio picks up the points i noted a works a bit on them. So far a recommendation from me.

I bought Quarz2 too, i'll post experiences with it later.

Back