Black Screen With Neocdgp2x

DijiTao

I'm getting a black screen why I try to run NeoCDGP2X. Here's what I've done so far:

Updated Firmware to 1.01 (this can be confirmed by the new light green startup screen)
Downloaded the gp2x SDL Libraries (Dated: 18/11/2005) and extracted the contents to the root of my sd card
Ran install_libs.gpu from the utility menu
Downloaded NK's Snes and NeoCD emulators
Extracted the snes emulator to a snes folder
Extracted the NeoCD emulator to a neocd folder
Place some roms in the snes\roms folder
Extracted lastblade2.iso to a temp folder on my desktop
opened the temp folder and highlighted all the files in it
added the files to a zip archieve named last_blade_2.zip
placed last_balde_2.zip in the neocd folder of the sd card

SnesGP2X loads up fine, so I don't think I have an SDL problem.

Thoughts?

the bios is included even in the latest release (although legally it shouldn't be).

Correct. So this doesn't solve my problem - Also searching the forums got me nothing as the other people simply didn't have SDL installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Renaming is not needed as the latest release has a rom selector. You sure you got the latest versions? And that there is a neocd.bin in the directory where the neocd.gpe is?

you don't need to copy anything related to music (mp3s, cue sheet) as there is no sound support. just copy the program files to a folder named "***.zip".

it takes a while until you get to the rom selector screen (5-8 seconds) don't press start during that time or it will just exit.

Renaming is not needed as the latest release has a rom selector. You sure you got the latest versions? And that there is a neocd.bin in the directory where the neocd.gpe is?

I'm pretty sure I have the latest version - I downloaded them lastnight from the GP32x File Archive

neocd.gpe and neocd.bin are both in a folder named neocd that is in the root of the sd card

you don't need to copy anything related to music (mp3s, cue sheet) as there is no sound support. just copy the program files to a folder named "***.zip".

it takes a while until you get to the rom selector screen (5-8 seconds) don't press start during that time or it will just exit.

Wait --- do I actually ZIP the contents of iso file or do I put them in a folder name last_blade_2.zip?

I'm getting a black screen why I try to run NeoCDGP2X. Here's what I've done so far:

Updated Firmware to 1.01 (this can be confirmed by the new light green startup screen)
Downloaded the gp2x SDL Libraries (Dated: 18/11/2005) and extracted the contents to the root of my sd card
Ran install_libs.gpu from the utility menu
Downloaded NK's Snes and NeoCD emulators
Extracted the snes emulator to a snes folder
Extracted the NeoCD emulator to a neocd folder
Place some roms in the snes\roms folder
Extracted lastblade2.iso to a temp folder on my desktop
opened the temp folder and highlighted all the files in it
added the files to a zip archieve named last_blade_2.zip
placed last_balde_2.zip in the neocd folder of the sd card

SnesGP2X loads up fine, so I don't think I have an SDL problem.

Thoughts?

if i read this rightly, you have zipped the iso not the contents of the iso. Try using something like magic iso to extra everything but the mp3's and put them into an uncompressed zip file then transfer & use that.

What I did was mount the ISO (OSX is willing to do that without fuss - I dunno how well windows copes) then create a zip file of its contents, called metalslug2.zip or whatever. I then put those zip files in the root of my SD card, and it seems to find them happily (even if the selection screen seems to be near white text in near white!).

What I do is this;

SD card root folder named NeoCD2

Containing:
neocd.bin
ng-lo.rom
patch.prg
startup.bin
neocdgp2x.gpe

A folder called save and a folder I have made called games

Inside the games folder I have file folders named the same as the game title; i.e. Metal Slug, this is where you extract the iso to, as far as I can tell the emulator doesn't recoginse zip files as such. In the earlier version you made a file folder named neocd.zip but not an actual zip archive.

So far I have tried and had success with:

Aero Fighters 2
Aero Fighters 3
Football Frenzy
KOF 94
KOF 98
Last Blade
Last Blade 2
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Samurai Showdown
Super Sidekicks

Go to games, select NeoCD2 folder, select neocdgp2x.gpe, wait for white screen, select games folder, select title to play, select ipl.txt and the game runs.

Thanks NeoStuey, I was playing around with the NeoCD emulator yesterday but couldn't get it to work (not enough time, too tired :))

This detailed description was all I needed. Puzzle Bobble in my hands and a ton of great NeoGeo games to try. I'm starting to really love my new toy.

Stuey

what are startup.bin and patch.prg?
i have the others in my bios files but haven't seen them before?
Download NeoCD here the files are included (just keep the newer gpe-file)

thanks Raven :)

They must have been left out of one of the earlier releases that were hosted at gp2x.de I guess.

I got this latest version direct from GPain.com where I am now a member despite not being able to read a word of Korean. I tried using alta vista to translate the page but it doesn't work at all, so now I just look out for the keywords that appear in english nes, snes and neogeo. :)

Don't forget to check the Wiki for a game compatibilty list.

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/NeoCDGP2X

I got mine working -- Turns out the file roller (the default file extracting app for gnome) doesn't handle iso so well. I repeated the process in windows using ISO Buster and all was well.

Back