Best Video Format

TrashyMG said:
TylerAW said:
SO wait the Pandora can play .VOB files?

It's 2010, not 1997.. My rocking Pentium 166mmx with a 1x DVD-ROM and a Creative Labs DXR2 got me DVD playback that looked slightly better than VHS.
Well used to my PSP I mean that thing can't do .VOB and neither could any iPod.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I am way less demanding as I got used to 320x240 Divx Avi's using mp3 and averaging about 1MB/min for my Dell Axim x3 PDA. They weren't crystal clear but they looked fine. So with the Pandora screen being not that much bigger, I'd imagine for most video's I will be looking to make the smallest "looks good" format for that. Considering I generally left my PDA clocked at 200 Mhz for my vids at that size, I know it's not necessary to do so with "Panda Power". I should be ale to keep most quite small. I will have to have say the latest Start Trek vid at the maximum cause you want to have at least 1 video that shows off your Pandora.

I guess I am one of the few who will sacrifice quality for quantity. However,the Pandora should be good at x264 vids at 320x240 or so right? I did like the image quality of that on my PSP.
So for me it will be fun making and testing clips to see what gives the best bang for the buck if you will.

I know the trend is how big or how much bitrate can I push it too, but I prefer to see just how small and how little bitrate I can be happy with.

Prometheus said:
Amusingly, GIF Construction Set Professional would (and may still) allow you to convert video files into animated GIFs. :p

Prometheus said:
The video here shows it running on a Pandora. :)

I'm very, very impressed - I had to miss out on a lot of GP2X stuff (due to my First Edition one bricking itself, and my second batch one having a screen that gave me migraines), so it'll be great to catch up.

EDIT: Ninja'd by ED. :lol: Great video, by the way, ED. I'm just watching through it now, with a big smile on my face. :D

Prometheus said:
Congratulations. :) How are you getting on with it? (Actually, come to think of it, maybe that's a matter for the "I Got My Pandora" thread. :lol: )

Prometheus said:
skeezix said:
(And never played Freespace 1/2, which was the same developers IIRC ... wouldn't a Freespace port rule? ;)
I do quite like Freespace 2 (not played the first one), and the open engine for it. I've sort of held off on playing it too much because I think it would suit the Pandora and its nubs quite well, if a port shows up. :lol: (There are also several standalone games based on the engine, as well, including an interesting-looking Star Fox fan-game which isn't yet finished.)

[/mildly off-topic]

Prometheus said:
I just wanted to drop in and say how impressed I am with the Pandora demo - I've been playing it now that I've gotten my Pandora replaced. :) Great fun. Good job!

Prometheus said:
mali said:
Congrats Prometheus and good luck with your new unit :)
Thanks very muchly. It seems to be fine so far - I'm hoping it'll remain this way. :)

I'm very impressed by the improvements in build, too (again :p ). I guess I've been lucky, in a sense, to get an insight into that by ending up with two replacements that were clearly built later and later, as I found it quite interesting to see.

Are you on Prozac or Seroxat or something?
Seriously, over-use of :) and :p is annoying to say the least.

purplesky said:
(quote fest)
Speaking of drugs...

@purplesky - Wow, that's a lot of quotes! I'm terribly sorry to burst your delusions about medication, but I'm just naturally cheerful. The use of emotes is to make sure my "tone of post" is not misunderstood, as that has happened a few times and I dislike the thought of being misunderstood - you'll just have to get used to them.

:p

Yeah, if there's any "constant quality" mode, I'd select that over "constant bit rate", "average bit rate" or "target file size" modes. For some reason those modes became the norm, when they're really used for special purposes like fitting a video in to a specific space (like a DVD) or streaming over a network. "Constant quality" is faster to encode and also will produce superior quality with the same size files. You just need to get used to tweaking the value to get it ~the size you want. I don't think it's TOO unpredictable, though, within about 20% I'd guess.

purplesky said:

Haha, I'm on 90mg of Oxycodone and 90mg of Morphine every day along with muscle relaxers etc. and even I never had an issue with someones emoticon usage...lol

:lol: :D :p :) :rolleyes: :blink: B) :lol:

trippy...isn't it? Too many smiles...driving me insane....aaaaagggghhhh!

Darn you and your Happiness Prometheus!! LOL

Back