Best to linux master

Years of use and a strong dislike of everything Microsoft.

is there a perticula form of use? Letting in run on an intel box ect?

what is most important to know about linux, pay for books/teaching. or go free?

What is it that linux "masters" do to be considered one.

I already made the switch to full time linux, and I learn a ton every day. And I have a pile of books and documentation.. I guess there is no easy way out

also why does linux push open source and free but then cost for it to run on new hardware? it so confusing...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never read a book about linux.

I just use it. Whenever a problem gets in my way, I try to fix it. Fixing stuff that breaks forces you to learn more. A few years of that, and you'll be quite comfortable with what you've been using it for.

also why does linux push open source and free but then cost for it to run on new hardware? it so confusing...
I have no idea what you are trying to say here. 
Why do the hardware manufactors charge money to develop code for there devices and then not support linux without a cost. When you buy a processor should it not come with the information.

It seems like here I sit just made a processor now I charge for the dev code for it, ect. So then to get linux on it people have to work blind or steal code but then arent they monopolizing and double charging. Seems like a lot of companys are headed that way.

To me other then self challenging purposes (kinda like a hard game) it seems point less to rewite a driver for something or whatever when there is someone sitting there going "I have the code and I'm not sharing it" When you paid them for the hardware... Like cant every single processor be used to develop, yet they expect you to buy once with all the support. O thats a production unit so no programing on it, but then you solder the point and get consol and then it's well we wont release our code and we don't legaly have to...

I can see why people are only interested in buying from hardware manufactors that release or support and want to get far far away from things like microsoft and the others.

I have been debeating though that there may be an underline communication going on beneath the os. May even be a network down there, that's in the case that they even need it...

I think all of them are in on it too, linaro, the arm companys, hardware, software. Look at the internet, hulu, youtube, facebook, whatever.. all full of ad's and more and more people now days putting adds on there websites. Then the ISP's want to charge more for more bandwidth usage.They espect us to pay more for ad's being forced on us, internet webpages should stand up and say no more add's. There using the ads to track and data mine as well. It's all asshat backwards that takes more money from the consumer.

And they all make a lot of claims too, new tech this so can't support that. So you have to buy a new printer or car or house. tempted to just shut it all off, then there like thats a downgrade or I understand if you don't have the buget.

What about going green? There like to go green you need to buy all the new stuff... RIGHT....

Don't listen to that piano player that's old tech! Don't play snes games that's old... Even though the tech is better the story isnt because the only thing they do is try to make consumers dumber so that they can take more money from them. That in and of it's self is backwards as well.

maybe i'm just getting old and senile...  I don't have enough lifetime to master it all.

So and so trying to develop something that this guy over in this country developed 25years ago and the like.

and really I don't know if there is a better way to do it. ^_^ makes me kinda crasy sometimes. Anywho, whats good ways to learn more about linux faster?

Use the command line. Manually compile some stuff. Look at the config files in /etc and read about them in man pages. Read man pages, info pages, and other documentation. Configure and compile your own kernel. Write some shell scripts.

Why do the hardware manufactors charge money to develop code for there devices and then not support linux without a cost.
Very simple answer: because support costs money !

Someone spending time to write documentation, to answer emails or calls from developers, to fix bugs for other systems, obviously this is paid time and this is not free. After all, it's their choice as to who or what they want to support. 

The info pages have helped me a lot, when they are there. I have been trying to wrap my brain around compiling stuff, it works when I follow guides but I'm still not sure how to compile some of the source programs I have downloaded. It seems that you have to know a lot about the flavor of linux your running. I guess there is no logical way other then spending a lot of time reading and doing tut's.

Woudnt they not have to pay for support if they released the information to code the device? Isnt that discrimination to linux as a corporation? I mean is corporations get social security numbers like people, and there are laws agisnt discrimination?

linux as a corporation
WTH? Linux isn't a corporation… It's a piece of code that is community driven. No company behind it, but some companies use it to make (and some sell it) their flavour of linux (Ubuntu, RedHat, Suse, …) and they participate to the evolution of the kernel since the licence say they must.

sounds like linux is in a catch22 then. What about the companys that use a flavor of linux, or is this why android is big now?

The more I think about it though it always comes back to, were are all the opensouce computers?

To master Linux you've to install a LFS. But using that as starting point is a recepice to failure :)

You'ld probably want to install a debian as dual boot on your current desktop/laptop. Have a play with, read the debian admin guide and the debian reference, test an other desktop environnement like KDE, then use a few light window manager for a while. Setup systemd on your debian. Then install a virtualisation tools of your liking and get ready for LFS. you'll have years of fun in the process ;)

Sounds like I'm on the right track, I used Debian for a while I ran into an issue with the support for x64 and x86 haveing moved some files around. Read a few linux books, GNU tools, ect. Played with fluxbox, gnome, KDE, so far I like Xfce. I am working with LFS on a slackware box now, man is it taking a looooonnng time to install. I did'nt see how much there was to linux. 

It's interesting to because there is so much knowlege just in that, but then there is hardware support and other things. Is it reasonable to think that supporting it all from one person?

I did buy a Unix admin book way back, which taught me some stuff (although an awful lot of it is now out of date), but I learned the most stuff by just running Linux and BSD myself, and not being scared of the command line. There really is a wealth of information on the internet about every aspect of using the shell, although again some of that is out of date (I looked up yesterday how to address a second IDE CD drive, and all the internet could tell me was it'd be one of the /dev/sdX devices - but these days CDs show up as /dev/srN for some reason).

I don't often compile much, and most stuff that I do compile is easy to set up using autoconf, so it's just a matter of ./configure and ./make, noting any errors that come up in the configure stage and installing packages to fix them. Once you've done that a few times you'll probably have enough packages to compile most things out of the box.

When stuff goes wrong, don't just reboot.

Try to fix the problem with whatever you can still get at (virtual terminals, remote access, system logs, etc)

When stuff goes wrong, don't just reboot.

Try to fix the problem with whatever you can still get at (virtual terminals, remote access, system logs, etc)
^ this. Challenge yourself to get the longest possible uptime, even while you mess things up. The only valid excuse for a reboot is a kernel update.

Linux is like good sex. The more, the better.

Yes thats right, i said it.

Learning by doing and the internetz is all you need.

Just like sex, you see?

Gesendet von meinem LG-P700 mit Tapatalk

About 14 years ago when my employer actually taught some classes internally, I took a class on the basics of unix commands.. while I thought I had a good understanding of them before, I saw a ton of things I wouldn't of  saw teaching myself. Sometimes you need to be shown what you can do, not just be stuck with what you currently do.

The internet offers more stuff you currently cant do than you could possibly ever read.

There is no such thing as "the linux". Its about getting comfortable with your environment, with the tools and routines you use daily. You can easily grow fond of certain aspects of a system and entirely not know about others. Books may serve as a starting point or a handy helper in specific cases, but you get comfortable by using it, not by reading about it.

Its the same with programming: as soon as you get an idea how you could get your stuff done, theres no more point in reading about it. Of course technique needs to be carried out precisely in order to be effective, true that. But error is a great teacher and bears innovation at the same time.

Get comfortable with what you do and you will be good at it.

Back