Best Handheld For 16Bit Emulation Is?

jmetal88 said:
GP32 rocks for Genesis. It's decent for Atari Lynx too, at least for tile-based games like Chips Challenge, if you overclock. It isn't good for SNES, but a majority of the games are fairly playable with frame skip.

The videos look good, but "rocks" seems like quite an exaggeration. Picodrive on GP2X or Wiz can do much better than this. I bet a port of Picodrive to GP32 would probably do better too, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
jmetal88 said:
GP32 rocks for Genesis. It's decent for Atari Lynx too, at least for tile-based games like Chips Challenge, if you overclock. It isn't good for SNES, but a majority of the games are fairly playable with frame skip.

The videos look good, but "rocks" seems like quite an exaggeration. Picodrive on GP2X or Wiz can do much better than this. I bet a port of Picodrive to GP32 would probably do better too, though.

I have to disagree, because I much prefer the GP32's control scheme, whether or not emulation is more technically accurate. GP32 rocks for Genesis.

EDIT: Would you like to see me play it overclocked? I can do 212 mhz on my GP32, but that video was taken at 144 mhz, DrMD's default speed.

I decided to do a overclocked video too, Couldn`t resist.

On doing so, I changed the way i filmed it, Instead of looking through the viewfinder
of my camera, I offset the camera slightly, So i was looking at the screen instead.

I was actually able to play the game much better this way, So got carried, And ended up
recording two whole zones, For which i do apologise. :D

@jmetal88, I agree wholeheartedly, The GP32`s controls are way superior to the GP2x, Zodiac
and a lot of other handhelds from way back when the GP32 was king. I would even go as far to say
that the GP32 controls would put up a pretty good fight when compared to alot of more resent handhelds.

@Exophase, Sadly DrMD is all we have, It`s done us proud for quite a few years so-far, And still has plenty
of years life left in it.

Though i (and many others, I`m sure) would not pass-up on the offer of a port of PicoDrive (Exophase ?,
Notaz ?, slaanesh ?) for the GP32, And would definitely give a very large donation to the person who succeeds
in achieving this.

But, I sadly don`t see this ever happening, So as said, DrMD does a great job of what it does, Especially
considering the limited hardware it is running on.

Trooper

So, I don't get it. The SNES wasn't that much more powerful compared to the Genesis. Why is Genesis emulation so much easier. SNES emulation barely ran on the GP2X-F200 when it was overclocked.

Quick request: Can someone test out Shadowrun (Genesis) on a Wiz or Dingoo? That's my favorite game of all time and being able to sneak through some corporations or hack my way through the matrix on the go would be awesome.

bustaballs said:
So, I don't get it. The SNES wasn't that much more powerful compared to the Genesis. Why is Genesis emulation so much easier. SNES emulation barely ran on the GP2X-F200 when it was overclocked.

Quick request: Can someone test out Shadowrun (Genesis) on a Wiz or Dingoo? That's my favorite game of all time and being able to sneak through some corporations or hack my way through the matrix on the go would be awesome.

A few reasons really. One is that SNES could push way more graphics on the screen (more layers, more effects) than Genesis, and this is where SNES emulators spend most of their CPU time. The other issue is that the Genesis emulators for ARM are much more optimized. Part of that is because the simpler graphical subsystem makes it more feasible to write ASM optimized renderers. The other part is that 68k is used in lots of platforms, so there was more impetus for the cyclone interpreter to be written. 65816 was mainly just used in SNES and Apple IIgs. SNES emulators for GP32+ still have ARM CPU cores, though. Like I said, it's mainly the graphics that costs so much, which is why SNES emulation runs full speed after skipping lots of frames.

Finally, some of the most popular SNES games use special hardware on the cartridge that ranges from moderately more expensive to much more expensive to emulate (compared to the SNES by itself). Only one Genesis game has a special chip.

Has somebody tricked me?

I've been running a version of Snes9xTLY that was released late last year... which all my finely tuned senses tell me is running fullspeed. Obviously not Mode 7 stuff, but everything else. Frameskip is set to zero, and my eyes confirm that this is the truth.

Every previous version I tried ran poorly, even with speedhacks and tweaks. This one came out and seemed very much 'done'. I thought i'd be happy, but the screen ghosting (or anti-ghosting) and crappy buttons of my PSP 1000 takes off the shine.

Actually, I think Snes emulation on PSP has got worse, if anything, since the end of the use of FW 1.50 and the lack of access to the media engine (I think?). Games like FF6 don't run all that well.

bustaballs said:

I wouldn't buy the Dingoo unless you are strapped for cash. The majority of emus look better on the Wiz due to the better screen and it has a higher SD card capacity, 8B mini sd for Dingoo 32 GB regular SD for Wiz (which you will be able to re-use for the Pandora). Plus the Wiz has a touchscreen and double the RAM etc.

Actually I've acquired GP32 recently, you can guess the reason for it. But I'm involved in too many projects and end up doing a lot and finishing nothing :(

notaz said:
Actually I've acquired GP32 recently, you can guess the reason for it. But I'm involved in too many projects and end up doing a lot and finishing nothing :(

That`s great news Notaz, Which version did you get (NLU, FLU, BLU or BLU+) ?. Have you tried it yet ?, If you have, What are your views (what do you think) of it ?. Did it come with hacked firmware or the original Korean firmware ?. What do you think of the controls, Especially the joystick ?.

Oh, Have you tried to see how far it can overclock ? Is it a 133mhz limited model, A 166mhz model or can it clock higher than 166mhz ?.

Just a little bit of useless information, There are quite a few people that still have a GP32 (or even more that one), And quite a few of them have either been lucky or have modded them (Pencil hack, Or resistor mod) so they can reach much higher speeds than 166mhz, After modding, Some have reached speeds of over 200mhz, But some are not so lucky.

Anyway, Hope you enjoy your GP32 Notaz, It is a great little system.

Trooper

DaveC said:
bustaballs said:

I wouldn't buy the Dingoo unless you are strapped for cash. The majority of emus look better on the Wiz due to the better screen and it has a higher SD card capacity, 8B mini sd for Dingoo 32 GB regular SD for Wiz (which you will be able to re-use for the Pandora). Plus the Wiz has a touchscreen and double the RAM etc.

Yeah, in my opinion that's the only drawback of the GP32, the fact that SmartMedia cards can only hold up to 128mb.

Other than that, it's pretty much my ideal machine. Even the 16-bit color depth limitation doesn't bother me (I still use a laptop with 16-bit color depth, by the way, but only for light web browsing and writing papers, for everything else I use a moderately powerful self-assembled desktop).

trooper said:
notaz said:

That`s great news Notaz, Which version did you get (NLU, FLU, BLU or BLU+) ?. Have you tried it yet ?, If you have, What are your views (what do you think) of it ?. Did it come with hacked firmware or the original Korean firmware ?. What do you think of the controls, Especially the joystick ?.

Oh, Have you tried to see how far it can overclock ? Is it a 133mhz limited model, A 166mhz model or can it clock higher than 166mhz ?.

Just a little bit of useless information, There are quite a few people that still have a GP32 (or even more that one), And quite a few of them have either been lucky or have modded them (Pencil hack, Or resistor mod) so they can reach much higher speeds than 166mhz, After modding, Some have reached speeds of over 200mhz, But some are not so lucky.

Anyway, Hope you enjoy your GP32 Notaz, It is a great little system.

Trooper

Yup, like I said in another post, I can get to 212mhz on my main GP32. My other GP32 can only do 156mhz in a stable manner, and 166mhz for limited amounts of time, but that doesn't matter so much now as I was doing some experimenting and accidentally got a heavy scratch directly on the LCD. I managed to polish it out, but then the LCD was too shiny and I couldn't use the front light because it just reflected off the surface. Since then I went over it with some 2000 grit sandpaper and it looks a bit better with the front light on now, but it looks worse than when it was polished when I play under an external light source.

Needless to say, I am extremely glad I had two working GP32 FLUs.

Back