Bennugd Hello World Tutorial

SolarLune

OK, so I'm trying to build the Hello World tutorial from that French website (Google Translate translated the page. The tutorial) - it works absolutely FINE on my Windows computer. However, when I try to run it on the Caanoo, it just freezes on "Loading...". The compiled file is fine - it works in Windows. I tried switching out the runtime I got with the Animatch runtime, but that didn't work either. I even made the GPE script look EXACTLY like the one from Animatch - still nothing. If the problem isn't with the GPE script that loads the compiled files (or tells the bgdc to compile them and then the bgdi to run it - I would just use the bgdi to run the compiled file, but whatever), and the runtime is working like it should, what could be the problem?

I can't believe it, but I figured it out. Somehow, the GPE script file I had was, believe it or not, the wrong FORMAT. If you have a GPE script file that crashes your Caanoo instead of exiting to the menu, then the script file is the wrong format. I didn't change the contents of my file, and while I could edit the file with Notepad++, the second version of the file that I did was based on a text file, rather than Notepad++'s format of the file, which I'm supposing wasn't the standard text format that Caanoo uses (ASCII, I guess)... Can't believe it was that simple. Anyway, hopefully someone will get some help from this small problem I had.

I've compiled for Caanoo - but I couldn't compile the Tutorial2D code for Computer yet (for some extremely odd reason). I might have to go back through it all. However, I still think that BennuGD's accessibility can appeal to those not used to C++ and SDL (or the DGE) for handheld devices yet.

Back