Believe It Or Not. I Need Help. With Videos.

PSyMastR

\m/O__O\m/
Website
Visit site
Ok, im giving other people help, and stuff, but believe it or not, after reading every guide, encoding it with mencoder for both windows and linux, and using xvid, divx4,5,6, etc... It wont work. Can someone give me a file they tested and works to see if its my unit? As I even tried the demo movie craig had and that didn't work...

Ive got Xillsoft video converter, and mencoder installed. I also can get virtual dub, but that doesn't seem like its it! oh god. Why wont this work!

PSyMastR posted on Dec 5 2005 at 06:55 PM said:
Ok, im giving other people help, and stuff, but believe it or not, after reading every guide, encoding it with mencoder for both windows and linux, and using xvid, divx4,5,6, etc... It wont work. Can someone give me a file they tested and works to see if its my unit? As I even tried the demo movie craig had and that didn't work...

Ive got Xillsoft video converter, and mencoder installed. I also can get virtual dub, but that doesn't seem like its it! oh god. Why wont this work!

You need to use (well not really) Virtual Dub and Xvid, Its the easiest ones to go with :p

Or you can use Vitual Dub and MPEG4 if it supports it, but I wouldnt know if it supports it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is what i do ..

Code:
[ging:~/Desktop/gp2x/dev] j% cat ~/bin/gp2xmov 
#!/bin/sh
mencoder -oac mp3lame  -ovc lavc -srate 22050 -lameopts cbr:br=64  -ffourcc DIVX -lavcopts \
        vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=350::v4mv:mbd=2:trell:cmp=3:subcmp=3:mbcmp=3 -vf scale=320:-3 \
        $1 -o $2
[ging:~/Desktop/gp2x/dev] j%

and here's how i run it when i've got a movie i want to watch ..

Code:
[ging:/tmp] j% gp2xmov somemovie.mpg GP2XMovie.avi
MEncoder 1.0pre3-3.3 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team

AltiVec found
Reading /Users/j/.mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/Users/j/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: 61 audio & 169 video codecs
File not found: 'frameno.avi'
Failed to open frameno.avi
Reading config file /Users/j/.mplayer/mencoder: No such file or directory
font: can't open file: /Users/j/.mplayer/font/font.desc
Font /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc loaded successfully! (206 chars)
success: format: 0  data: 0x0 - 0x298804
LMLM4 Stream Format not found
MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO:  MPEG1  448x336  (aspect 1)  25.000 fps  1300.0 kbps (162.5 kbyte/s)
[V] filefmt:2  fourcc:0x10000001  size:448x336  fps:25.00  ftime:=0.0400
==========================================================================
Requested audio codec family [mp3] (afm=mp3lib) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x20), ratio: 14000->192000 (112.0 kbit)
Selected audio codec: [ffmp2] afm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG layer-1 and layer-2 audio decoder)
Opening video filter: [expand osd=1]
Expand: -1 x -1, -1; -1  (-1=autodetect) osd: 1
Opening video filter: [scale w=320 h=-3]
Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
VDec: vo config request - 448 x 336 (preferred csp: Mpeg PES)
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
VDecoder init failed :(
Opening video decoder: [libmpeg2] MPEG 1/2 Video decoder libmpeg2-v0.3.1
Selected video codec: [mpeg12] vfm:libmpeg2 (MPEG 1 or 2 (libmpeg2))
Forcing output fourcc to 58564944 [XVID]
MP3 audio selected
Building audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/16bit -> 22050Hz/2ch/16bit...
Writing AVI header...
VDec: vo config request - 448 x 336 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 7 -> 6

SwScaler: BICUBIC scaler, from Planar YV12 to Planar YV12 using C
videocodec: libavcodec (320x240 fourcc=58564944 [XVID])
High quality encoding selected (non real time)!
Pos:   0.0s      1f ( 5%)   0fps Trem:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.000 [0:0]
1 duplicate frame(s)!
Pos:   0.9s     22f (10%)  20fps Trem:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.084 [0:63]
Skipping frame!
Pos:   1.2s     32f (13%)  21fps Trem:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.084 [547:63]
Skipping frame!
Pos:   1.8s     46f (16%)  21fps Trem:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.081 [500:63]
Skipping frame!
Pos:  14.9s    375f (100%)  21fps Trem:   0min   0mb  A-V:0.026 [401:64]

CBR audio: 8000 bytes/sec, 209 bytes/block

Writing AVI index...
Fixing AVI header...

Video stream:  401.356 kbit/s  (50169 bps)  size: 746523 bytes  14.880 secs  375 frames

Audio stream:   64.000 kbit/s  (8000 bps)  size: 123089 bytes  15.386 secs
[ging:/tmp] j%

with this mencoder script, all movies play quite smoothly on the GP2X, and its quite easy to convert movies for playback too .. and as you can see the results are pretty good:

Code:
[ging:/tmp] j% ls -l somemovie.mpg GP2XMovie.avi 
-rw-r--r--   1 j  wheel   895514 Dec  6 13:37 GP2XMovie.avi
-rw-r--r--   1 j  wheel  2721796 Dec  6 13:36 somemovie.mpg

(Edit: added results...)

Xvid has sync problems for me also. I think it is probably because I still have the original firmware (my SD card isn't supported for updates....).

aapje89 posted on Dec 6 2005 at 02:48 PM said:
Dark_TB posted on Dec 6 2005 at 01:17 PM said:
Try http://www.autogk.me.uk/ ... It's really great.. It does everything for you...
Just set the screensize to GPx2 Screen size.. And you can change the final size of the video yousself.. very handy IMO
whats wrong with virtualdub?
I find virtualDub confusing :p AutoGK gives me a lot less options, which probably means it will end up not encoding it exactly how I want it, but it is much easier to look at. BTW, how do you set up a series of things to encode?

bah! i tried xvid again, and still not supported... :(

EDIT: Im on FW 1.0.1 with the video player fix added.

Some Xvid files work for me and others don't. The Xvid sample video that came on the CD with the GP2X won't play. :blink: But an Xvid I downloaded from the net worked just fine.

Divx files with the 1.0 firmware seem to work just fine.

Would it be possible for you to send me a working video?
image.png

(Sorry, i just hate spiders, so I do it like that...)

PSyMastR : sent you a flash file movie I converted using PocketDivx. Let me know if it works. PocketDivx works great for reencoding.

Xvid works fine for me no sync problems. Then again I have supported SD card.

deadlychicken22 posted on Dec 6 2005 at 10:31 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Dec 6 2005 at 02:48 PM said:
Dark_TB posted on Dec 6 2005 at 01:17 PM said:
Try http://www.autogk.me.uk/ ... It's really great.. It does everything for you...
Just set the screensize to GPx2 Screen size..  And you can change the final size of the video yousself.. very handy IMO
whats wrong with virtualdub?
I find virtualDub confusing :p AutoGK gives me a lot less options, which probably means it will end up not encoding it exactly how I want it, but it is much easier to look at. BTW, how do you set up a series of things to encode?
you can save the configuration to a config file.
then you can just open the config file and convert the file, without having to even open virtualdub.
I just use a bat file to load the .vcf, then add the movie to the job list and run it.
Now I only need to drop a movie file on the bat file, and done :).

I have encoded Movies with VirtualDub using a registered divx5-codec from divx.com and the lame-mp3 codec.

Encoded with settings: High Quality, 400kpbs, Resize-Filter (nearest neighbor): 320x240, lame-mp3 codec with 44.1khz and 92kbps CBR, single-pass and it works fine

I have no firmware patch applied.

Ugh, don't use nearest neighbor resize-filter. Use either a bicubic for higher quality or billinear for a little bit better speed. Nearest neighbor is the fastest of the three, but it is also the worst.

donny662 posted on Dec 7 2005 at 05:30 PM said:
Ugh, don't use nearest neighbor resize-filter. Use either a bicubic for higher quality or billinear for a little bit better speed. Nearest neighbor is the fastest of the three, but it is also the worst.

It doesn't really matter. I have tried both and the difference isn't really big ..

Kayday posted on Dec 7 2005 at 01:38 AM said:
PSyMastR : sent you a flash file movie I converted using PocketDivx. Let me know if it works. PocketDivx works great for reencoding.

Xvid works fine for me no sync problems. Then again I have supported SD card.
Thanks so much. It works great, but occationally freezes (Probably because im using a power supply at 500mA/h). Thanks so much! Ill try to get PocketDivx to convert.

No problem. Just mess around with the settings to how you like it. Since it encodes fast you can do some test samples.

That file I sent was encoded at 300kbps with 64kbps audio. The 1:24 minute file came to around 4.7. I boosted the brightness up to 5% and the loudness up 20%. I found that encoding files with lower bitrate gave darker image so to compensate for the dark image, boost up the brightness.

Of course those settings are for viewing only on the GP2X. Don't dare play it with TV out as I'm sure the quality will be horrible.

Kayday posted on Dec 7 2005 at 05:30 PM said:
No problem. Just mess around with the settings to how you like it. Since it encodes fast you can do some test samples.

That file I sent was encoded at 300kbps with 64kbps audio. The 1:24 minute file came to around 4.7. I boosted the brightness up to 5% and the loudness up 20%. I found that encoding files with lower bitrate gave darker image so to compensate for the dark image, boost up the brightness.

Of course those settings are for viewing only on the GP2X. Don't dare play it with TV out as I'm sure the quality will be horrible.
with pocketdivx, what settings for video and audio quality did you use, as they display it simple, not in kb/sec how you wrote it/i ususally read it.

also, how can i select xvid, as this program is too simple for me.

Back