Before I invest in a GP32...

warkrime

Still Fresh
There are two things that I need to know before I can justify plunking down $150 for a GP32.

1) Is it possible to play NES games at an acceptable speed and with good sound?

2) Is it possible to play Super NES games at an acceptable speed and with good sound?

As you can see, I really only care about playing NES and SNES games.

warkrime posted on Dec 5 2003 at 05:28 AM said:
There are two things that I need to know before I can justify plunking down $150 for a GP32.

1) Is it possible to play NES games at an acceptable speed and with good sound?

2) Is it possible to play Super NES games at an acceptable speed and with good sound?

As you can see, I really only care about playing NES and SNES games.
1) Yes, I think it's around 95-100% speed and 100% sound.

2) Sort of... Some games you can do full speed, full sound (only one or two out of all of them), some just don't work (well they work, but are HORRIBLY slow), and most you have a choice between doing about 40% speed and as good sound that is slow enough to keep in sync, or about 70% speed and no sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
generalnmx mentioned being able to play SNES RPGs with sound and a decent speed at the right frameskip. how do you do that? And also, Is there any way that I can put both SNES emulators on the gp32 and be able to switch back and forth using the same roms (ex. if SnesEmu reads from Gp/Gpmm/SNES and Snes9x reads from Gp/Game/SNES, how can I get the roms to be played on each emulator at different times without using another SMC?)

http://www.gp32world.co.uk/

crazeeplaya's site has the overclocked versions of the snes emulators that will both loook for roms in the same directory. he used to have the non-OC'd versions there too, maybe if you email him he'll hook you up

(I always use the OC'd 156 MHz versions, and no problems for me.. just burns through batteries faster, but better quality)

bmd3287 posted on Dec 5 2003 at 06:14 AM said:
generalnmx mentioned being able to play SNES RPGs with sound and a decent speed at the right frameskip. how do you do that?
You probably want to try one of the overclocked versions of Snes9XGp v0.97f:
150Mhz
156Mhz

I personally wouldn't recommend buying a GP32 for SNES alone at this point in time, but NES runs pretty much perfectly, with perfect sound and nice features. You won't be able to fault it, I think. If you can wait, I'm sure SNES emulation on GP32 will become much better in time.

Of course as people mentioned if you use overclocked emus, it runs much better. There's no known side effects of overclocking. And, if you're willing to sacrifice sound, quality improves dramatically of course. If you're in a public place, you won't notice it anyway. (the audio volume of a GP32 is maybe 20% louder than a GBA?)

I should point out the only real alternative if you want to play SNES on the go, is a laptop. I don't forsee any other decent machines coming out in the next year which could do what the GP32 can't...

little john gp is one of the best nes emulators i have ever used on any system. its alomost perfect. only game genie missing.

I myself find snes perfectly playable with sound at fs4 with the 166mhz emu, but even thats slow. Just wait, snes emulation fullspeed with s may happen, but then again it may not.

GurtyGurt posted on Dec 5 2003 at 07:41 AM said:
I should point out the only real alternative if you want to play SNES on the go, is a laptop. I don't forsee any other decent machines coming out in the next year which could do what the GP32 can't...
Uh, the Zodiac is out. It's a more powerful handheld than the GP32. It will probably eventually emulate the SNES at full speed w/sound.

And if you're really looking for a portable full speed NES and SNES emulator w/sound, I think I know of one. It's called the GBA.

Back