Battery Life Of 275mhz And 240mhz

ebelthite

Still Fresh
Is there much battery life difference between the 275MHZ and 240Mhz version of GP2X ?

Man, perhaps a sticky which tells that both are the same GP2X would be useful. Btw Who ever said that they are different ones? I wanna kick his ass for spreading this rumour. .....

OK, just to clarify: Both 'versions' will default to a 200MHz clock. The only difference is the 275MHz 'version' has been tested to clock stable to at least 275MHz..

Thanks - so even though both 'versions' run at 200MHz, if they are overclocked the battery life is reduced...

I guess what he really want to know is the lifetime difference between having it OC to 240 mhz and having it OC to 275, if anyone tried it and could answer that it will be great.
PS: an addition to the sticky is that GP2X wont run all the time overclocked, in other language, if someone bought a guranteed 275 mhz unit, the clock speed will vary in regard to the application used and the settings the users will choose, people here are able to use the MP3 player (fw 2.0, not sure if it is the same in fw 2.1) while they have their GP2Xs downclocked to 100 mhz only.

Man, perhaps a sticky which tells that both are the same GP2X would be useful. Btw Who ever said that they are different ones? I wanna kick his ass for spreading this rumour. .....
Well, even Craig calls it a different "version" on gp2x.co.uk: -
October 8th: After many requests you can now buy a 275Mhz version of the GP2X. Awesome.
Want more power?
The Power pack is the same as above but runs at 275MHZ and comes with a Screen Protector.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really no different to the PC world... eg. an 800mhz processor is the same as a 600mhz processor for example - what's different is one has failed testing at the faster speed.

I've ordered the 275mhz one primarily because I know that emulation can eat processor for breakfast. At £15 difference it's worth it to get one that is guaranteed to run that fast, rather than take the gamble at the lower price.

Well, even Craig calls it a different "version" on gp2x.co.uk: -
October 8th: After many requests you can now buy a 275Mhz version of the GP2X. Awesome.
Want more power?
The Power pack is the same as above but runs at 275MHZ and comes with a Screen Protector.

Someone forgets the meaning of "marketing ploy."

Last edited by a moderator:
As a general rule, each 1MHz you add increases draw by 1mA. The GP2X has a draw at 200MHz of around 400-500mA. Overclocking to 275 would mean a draw of up to 575mAh. On 2500mAh batteries this should be around 4 hours, but due to the nature of batteries is usually around half of that.

Mileage may vary. I get over 4 hours at 200mhz, probably around 3 and a bit at 275mhz, on fresh 2500mhz Energizers.

I have Sony 2500mAh's, I get about 4-5 hours at 200MHz and 3-4 hrs at 270MHz.

I wondered if we collected more information about battery life for different MHz speed, that they could be display here as a graph, to give a guide of expected life / uses / battery type etc...

Or setup a poll on this forum and get members to vote !

Back