GP32 Basic Sound Questions (using Mr.mirko)

0-bake

hi,

i have a few question in adding sound (effects) to a game.
as i never did something with sound before, i'm a bit confused.

in some threads there's some diskussion about sound in general, but i couldn't find anything that helps me.
in which format do the sound files have to be, so that i can include them into my project?
and actually how can i play them?

is there a procedure like play(sound1); ?
and what, if a new sound is started and the last one hasn't finished? is that what a "mixer" does? seems so...

so, i would like to know, what i have to do, to get my recorded sound sample into my project.
there are so many examples for sprites and graphics, but almost nothing to make the Gp32 go peeep ;)

i read that the sound routines in mr.mirko's aren't finished, but i just need 3 differen't kind of sound effects ind low quality, so i guess it may be ok with that...

I don't know anything about Mr Mirko's sdk but I imagine your first step will be to convert your samples to raw pcm data and then convert that to c source with a bin2c type proggy.

I would recommend to use spiv's mlib. music and sound effect hanndling made easy. for converting samples I suggest using 'sox'.

ahh cool, thx for the replies.
ok, i'm messing around with it, will have a look at spiv's mlib.

strange, i thought audacity could export as "raw data", but it can't. must have mixed up something....

hm, im somehow stuck :(
i found an example in Mr.Mirko's SDK that does exactly what i want to do.
but i can't compile it.

the example contains everything, even the makefile. the makefile ist:

Code:
# This Makefile is very easy to use !
# Only edit PRG and OBJS 
# Dont touch anything else

CC = arm-elf-gcc
LD = arm-elf-gcc
AS = arm-elf-as
AR = arm-elf-ar

PRG  = modplay
OBJS = modfile1.o  modfile2.o  modplay.o  sample1.o  sample2.o  sample3.o

LIBS      = -L../lib -lmirkoSDK -lm
CRT0      = ../lib/crt0.S
LNKSCRIPT = ../lib/lnkscript
INCLUDES  = -I../include
CFLAGS    = $(INCLUDES) -O2 -s -mtune=arm9tdmi

all:	$(OBJS)
	$(CC) -c -o crt0.o $(CRT0)
	$(LD) -nostartfiles -s -Wall -Wl,-Map,Test.map  -T $(LNKSCRIPT) crt0.o -o $(PRG).elf $(OBJS) $(LIBS)
	arm-elf-objcopy -O binary $(PRG).elf $(PRG).bin
	b2fxec -a Mirko_Roller -t SDK_EXAMPLE_$(PRG) $(PRG).bin $(PRG).fxe

install:
	gplink put $(PRG).fxe gpmm

clean:
	rm -f *.o *~ Test.map *.bin *.elf

but if i type "make" in the dir, i get errors:
arm-elf-gcc -I../include -O2 -s -mtune=arm9tdmi -c -o modfile1.o modfile1.c
make: arm-elf-gcc: Command not found
make: *** [modfile1.o] Error 127

i tried to adapt the code from the main modfile.c to one of my project templates (containing may "all in wonder" makefile), but i can't include the sample-files to my project.
my makefile has no line similar to: OBJS = modfile1.o modfile2.o modplay.o sample1.o sample2.o sample3.o

so i added this line (and the sample-files to the new directory), but nothing happened.

my makefile is:
Code:
#---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Clear the implicit built in rules
#---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.SUFFIXES:
ifeq ($(strip $(DEVKITARM)),)
$(error "Please set DEVKITARM in your environment. export DEVKITARM=<path to>devkitARM)
endif

include $(DEVKITARM)/gp32_rules

# options for FXE
AUTHOR	:=	O-bake
TITLE	:=	template

# TARGET is the name of the output
# BUILD is the directory where object files & intermediate files will be placed
# SOURCES is a list of directories containing source code
# INCLUDES is a list of directories containing extra header files
TARGET  :=	template
BUILD  :=	build
SOURCES  :=	source sprites
INCLUDES	:=	include

# options for code generation
ARCH	:=	

CFLAGS	:=	-Wall -O2 -mtune=arm9tdmi\
    -fomit-frame-pointer\
  	-ffast-math \
  	$(ARCH)

CFLAGS	+=	$(INCLUDE)

AFLAGS	:=	$(ARCH)
LDFLAGS	=	$(ARCH) -Wl,-Map,$(notdir $@).map

# path to tools - this can be deleted if you set the path in windows
export PATH  :=	$(DEVKITARM)/bin:$(PATH)

# any extra libraries we wish to link with the project
LIBS  :=	-lmirkoSDK_GEEPEE

# list of directories containing libraries, this must be the top level containing
# include and lib
LIBDIRS	:=	$(LIBMIRKO)

# no real need to edit anything past this point unless you need to add additional
# rules for different file extensions
ifneq ($(BUILD),$(notdir $(CURDIR)))

export OUTPUT	:=	$(CURDIR)/$(TARGET)

export VPATH	:=	$(foreach dir,$(SOURCES),$(CURDIR)/$(dir))
export DEPSDIR	:=	$(CURDIR)/$(BUILD)

CFILES  :=	$(foreach dir,$(SOURCES),$(notdir $(wildcard $(dir)/*.c)))
CPPFILES	:=	$(foreach dir,$(SOURCES),$(notdir $(wildcard $(dir)/*.cpp)))
SFILES  :=	$(foreach dir,$(SOURCES),$(notdir $(wildcard $(dir)/*.s)))
BMPFILES	:=	$(foreach dir,$(SOURCES),$(notdir $(wildcard $(dir)/*.bmp)))
BINFILES	:=	$(foreach dir,$(SOURCES),$(notdir $(wildcard $(dir)/*.bin)))

# use CXX for linking C++ projects, CC for standard C
ifeq ($(strip $(CPPFILES)),)
	export LD	:=	$(CC)
else
	export LD	:=	$(CXX)
endif

export OFILES	:=	$(BINFILES:.bin=.o) $(BMPFILES:.bmp=.o)\
    	$(CPPFILES:.cpp=.o) $(CFILES:.c=.o) $(SFILES:.s=.o)

export INCLUDE	:=	$(foreach dir,$(INCLUDES),-I$(CURDIR)/$(dir)) \
    	$(foreach dir,$(LIBDIRS),-I$(dir)/include) \
    	-I$(CURDIR)/$(BUILD)

export LIBPATHS	:=	$(foreach dir,$(LIBDIRS),-L$(dir)/lib)

.PHONY: $(BUILD) clean

$(BUILD):
	@[ -d $@ ] || mkdir -p $@
	@make --no-print-directory -C $(BUILD) -f $(CURDIR)/Makefile

clean:
	@echo clean ...
	@rm -fr $(BUILD) *.elf

else

DEPENDS	:=	$(OFILES:.o=.d)

# main targets
$(OUTPUT).fxe	:	$(OUTPUT).bin

$(OUTPUT).bin	:	$(OUTPUT).elf

$(OUTPUT).elf	:	$(OFILES)

%.o	:	%.bin
	@echo $(notdir $<)
	@$(bin2o)

%.bin	:	%.bmp
	@echo $(notdir $<)
	bmp2bin -r -x $< $@

-include $(DEPENDS)

#---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
endif
#---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as you can see, the both makefiles have not much in common, but i don't understand why the one in mirko's example won't work.

Well, the first makefile assumes certain names for your compiler/linker.

It seems your compiler (most likely gcc) isn't named "arm-elf-gcc" or it can't be found.

Because it can't find the compiler, it aborts.

yea, i got it working now and implemented it in my game, but it's very crackling noisy right now.
it even makes noises if no sample plays. i have to test a few things...

Are you using the DMA. If so, it could be the infamous DMA sound bug :). This is when the game is intensive and using DMA, the sound crackles...

As long as you use only 2 of the 3 DMA channels, you're allright. So check if your gfx lib is using DMA for its blitting.

how can i see, if i'm using DMA?
as far as i know, i didn't do anything. except some functions of the mr.mirko set using DMA...

0-bake posted on Dec 25 2005 at 03:39 AM said:
how can i see, if i'm using DMA?
as far as i know, i didn't do anything. except some functions of the mr.mirko set using DMA...

if the sound crackles, check your drawing to the screen, if your only drawing to the framebuffer, and not to some "nearby" memory.
Are you using FRAMEBUFFER1/2 memory ? DO not use some malloc memory for framebuffer.

Also do not use empty loops, like
while (1) wait_for_keypress;

Do remove all optimizations from the Makefile. Only use "-O0" for all Files.

If your project depends on many different *.c files, compile only math/mem heavy object files with "-O0".

GOOD LUCK !!

Last edited by a moderator:
i just came home from my christmas vacations and i want to continue working on my project this evening.

i guess, i'm doing everything correct, but i have no idea, what "compiling with -O0" means.
i posted my "all in wonder" makefile obove and i have really no clue what it does.
the string "-O0" is not in that makefile, so i guess, i'm not compiling with that command.
but i don't know, what i have to replace/add to do so.

thanks anyways.

0-bake posted on Dec 27 2005 at 03:44 PM said:
i just came home from my christmas vacations and i want to continue working on my project this evening.

i guess, i'm doing everything correct, but i have no idea, what "compiling with -O0" means.
i posted my "all in wonder" makefile obove and i have really no clue what it does.
the string "-O0" is not in that makefile, so i guess, i'm not compiling with that command.
but i don't know, what i have to replace/add to do so.

thanks anyways.

Thats really why i like "all-in-wonder" makefiles, youre LOST... ( btw very good TV show... )

chage:
CFLAGS := -Wall -O2 -mtune=arm9tdmi\
-fomit-frame-pointer\
-ffast-math \
$(ARCH)

TO:
CFLAGS := -Wall -O0 -mtune=arm9tdmi

REMOVE: -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math $(ARCH)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back