GP2X Background Music Trouble (open2x Prebuilt Sdl Libs)

purestrain

Hello,

I'm currently developing a game for gp2x and having trouble playing music.

1) MP3 is insanely slow? I'm experiencing lots of stutter and framerates drop very fast.
2) OGG is not working at all....
3) even WAV-Files played with SDL_Mixer are sometimes stucking

So, how would you handle background music in your games? Any advice?

Edit:
i think the stuttering occured due to a wrong buffer size... Currently i'm using severall small WAV-Tracks (10-15s) but they use too much space. Is there a alternative library available which would let me use FLAC? or even a fast mp3/ogg playback? or something else?

Greetings
purestrain

Problem is I believe that MP3 in Open2X is libSMPEG instead of libmad, because of problems with GPL licensing in libmad. Dunno why OGG is not working (I've used that before just fine in past projects).

Anyways, I have this alternate version of SDL_mixer.a that includes only WAV and MP3 support. It uses libmad so it will be very fast. I am too lazy to test it now (have a few things going on here) so I can only say that I *think* it is the correct one I am pulling here off my development partition. This should be the one I used for my Abuse port.

LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?metumyermr9

Senor Quack said:
Problem is I believe that MP3 in Open2X is libSMPEG instead of libmad, because of problems with GPL licensing in libmad. Dunno why OGG is not working (I've used that before just fine in past projects).

Anyways, I have this alternate version of SDL_mixer.a that includes only WAV and MP3 support. It uses libmad so it will be very fast. I am too lazy to test it now (have a few things going on here) so I can only say that I *think* it is the correct one I am pulling here off my development partition. This should be the one I used for my Abuse port.

LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?metumyermr9

Hi,

thanks. I'm only interested in WAV and MP3, so its ok. I'll download the lib later this day and post my results. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks alot. Tried it out and works perfectly. Didn't measure the frame-dropping, but it looks really smooth now.

Update: problem solved, just overwrite all relevant sdl_mixer files from the open2x lib folder with those from this old devkitGP2X :)

I'm having problems with OGG playback with SDL_mixer too. It works fine when I link dynamically, but there is no output when I link with -static. I tried the lib packs from 20071903 and 20070307, but the same problem exists in both.

I was wondering if someone could post their working ogg sdl_mixer like SQ did above, that would be fantastic.

Back