Avi - Xvid

lintsniffer

Duke Nukem 3D = Crazy Delicious!
Website
Visit site
I have some error when trying to import an avi into vdub for compression to xvid for my gp2x. I figured out that I need a VfW codec to allow virtualdub to see the avi. Does anyone have a link to a download? I have googles many times but only find that I need a VfW codec, not a link for a download.

Thanks.

you just put compression to xvid then save as avi. Then vdub will run through the movie compressing all of the frames, correct?

Thanks for the codecs, they worked.

dont download codec packs, they suck
just download xvid and maybe ffmpeg, should be all you ever need.

Vimacs posted on May 29 2006 at 03:11 PM said:
dont download codec packs unless you know what you are doing, or else they suck
just download xvid and maybe ffmpeg, should be all you ever need.

I gave him that for the ENCODING. Plus it lets you choose which things you want and usually has the latest non-beta codecs available.

Last edited by a moderator:
lintsniffer posted on May 29 2006 at 03:10 PM said:
you just put compression to xvid then save as avi. Then vdub will run through the movie compressing all of the frames, correct?

Thanks for the codecs, they worked.

Oh, and yes, that should work. However, make sure the audio is either MP3 or OGG.

lintsniffer posted on May 29 2006 at 11:44 PM said:
Ok it compressed it from 1.1 GB to 850 Mb. I don't think thats enough :(
then change the compression settings to compress it even further?

1(quality) - 31 (small)

Which should I do? What have you done before?

Sorry I'm very inexperienced with this stuff and don't have enough time for trial and error.

Edit: I went with 20 and estimated size is .5 GB.

lintsniffer posted on May 29 2006 at 02:52 PM said:
1(quality) - 31 (small)

Sorry I'm very inexperienced with this stuff and don't have enough time for trial and error.

Use Auto GordianKnot (AGK):

http://www.autogk.me.uk/

press alt+F9 for the special options, it is the simplest I have found, includes the proper Xvid, does everything for you.

If you get artifacting errors trying enabling some of the stand-alone player settings.

EDIT: I forgot to add, use the "settings" button and make sure that it is set to 320 width and the box "preserve aspect ratio" is checked.

If you will be watching it on the GP2X there is no reason to be wasting space with full-definition, the screen is only 320x240.

I got a 700mb copy of FF AC down to 300mb or so that way, make sure the audio is set to mp3.

nubie posted on May 29 2006 at 11:19 PM said:
lintsniffer posted on May 29 2006 at 02:52 PM said:
1(quality) - 31 (small)

Use Auto GordianKnot (AGK):

http://www.autogk.me.uk/

press alt+F9 for the special options, it is the simplest I have found, includes the proper Xvid, does everything for you.

If you get artifacting errors trying enabling some of the stand-alone player settings.

EDIT: I forgot to add, use the "settings" button and make sure that it is set to 320 width and the box "preserve aspect ratio" is checked.

If you will be watching it on the GP2X there is no reason to be wasting space with full-definition, the screen is only 320x240.

I got a 700mb copy of FF AC down to 300mb or so that way, make sure the audio is set to mp3.

Can you read the subs on FFAC or are you watching the Dubed version?

I second Pocket divx encoder.

Use the Pocket Pc profile as your starting point if you plan to watch your movies on the GP2x and adjust the video and audio quality settings to your liking, Estimated final file size is displayed to the right of the video and audio quality sliders.

Trooper

Back