Audio IN

id10t

This is a two parter

1. Is the audio line IN only on the port on the back?

That is, there is not a mono audio in on the headphone jack like an ipod touch.

2. Is there any recording software yet?

Anyone trying to port audacity?

I'd like to use the panda as an amplifier+speakers for my mp3 player

when I'm traveling. And before you jump in with mp3 player comments,

it's for listening to the radio.

I have some travel speakers which are about the same form factor

as the panda, so it could replace them - albeit with inferior sound,

but maybe enough to catch the latest news bulletin.

ID

The headphone jack does contain a standard trrs with a microphone, yes. Do NOT use an Apple compatible headset. They use the standard plug in a nonstandard way that will not work on the Pandora. You need to find a headset that is not iPhone compatible to work with the Pandora.

As for recording software, nothing user-friendly springs to mind; whenever I want to record something I just cat directly off the device into a file on the command line. Redirecting the microphone to the speakers is pretty easy and when you get your Pandora I can tell you how.

As far as the Pandora having "inferior sound" I think you may be pleasantly surprised. ;)

Thinking someone will eventually make a good Breakout Board for this purpose, since you'd get a Line-IN/OUT proper. Those headphone jacks can't possibly be line-level in/outs but a dumbed down varient? Is it going to have audio that sounds like this instead of like this (recording - note the first sample recorded in MONO when it should have been Stereo, also more noise on line)

I actually contacted mouser to see if I could buy a few of the EXT port connectors as samples, because the connectors are in their extended database. They replied with a quote saying I had to buy at least 2200 :/ If I ever do get ahold of some of these connectors, I'll design a breakout board and make a couple at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually contacted mouser to see if I could buy a few of the EXT port connectors as samples, because the connectors are in their extended database. They replied with a quote saying I had to buy at least 2200 :/ If I ever do get ahold of some of these connectors, I'll design a breakout board and make a couple at home.
I'm ordering from http://www.onlinecomponents.com/amp-tyco_1717169-2.html?p=10261311 this weekend. The last quote they gave was a 500 minimum. I'll resell them at cost+shipping+3% because paypal needs their cut as well. I thought I remembered them being 8 cents, but I guess I was mistaken; 80 cents is still pretty good.

I'm ordering from http://www.onlinecomponents.com/amp-tyco_1717169-2.html?p=10261311 this weekend. The last quote they gave was a 500 minimum. I'll resell them at cost+shipping+3% because paypal needs their cut as well. I thought I remembered them being 8 cents, but I guess I was mistaken; 80 cents is still pretty good.
500 really? I (just for kicks) added 1 to cart and all it says is that it needs a $15 minimum order (and seemed happy to add a $14.15 surcharge if I wanted to continue to order just 1. I wonder if someone could really just order $15 worth. Funny though, the whole 8 weeks lead time thing. Why in the world has 2 months become so prevalent since finding this project!?

500 really? I (just for kicks) added 1 to cart and all it says is that it needs a $15 minimum order (and seemed happy to add a $14.15 surcharge if I wanted to continue to order just 1. I wonder if someone could really just order $15 worth.
If you only try to order 1, or a dozen, or whatever, you'll get a personalized email after a short time telling you the minimum order quantity is 500. At least that was what happened last time.

Hurk! The minimum order is 1000 parts now :eek:

That pushes a little harder on my credit card than I originally wanted.

Would people be so put out if I asked for $2 per connector instead of at-cost? I don't want to be all greedy, but at the same time I don't want to be stuck with a $350 bill and no way to recover it. I could have bought a Pandora 2 years ago for that price :p

Would people be so put out if I asked for $2 per connector instead of at-cost? I don't want to be all greedy, but at the same time I don't want to be stuck with a $350 bill and no way to recover it. I could have bought a Pandora 2 years ago for that price :p
Not put out at all. Sounds like a very reasonable price, given how unlikely it is you'll sell even half.

Though you have my word you'll sell at least 10. :lol:

The headphone jack does contain a standard trrs with a microphone, yes. Do NOT use an Apple compatible headset. They use the standard plug in a nonstandard way that will not work on the Pandora. You need to find a headset that is not iPhone compatible to work with the Pandora.

As for recording software, nothing user-friendly springs to mind; whenever I want to record something I just cat directly off the device into a file on the command line. Redirecting the microphone to the speakers is pretty easy and when you get your Pandora I can tell you how.

As far as the Pandora having "inferior sound" I think you may be pleasantly surprised. ;)

I have my panda already and it's fantastic - but hadn't seen any way to test the line in.

I didn't think of cat'ing the audio device!

*thinks* so I could pipe from /dev/<input> to /dev/<output>

The headphone sound is great - but the speakers don't compare to

powered external speakers, hence the "inferior sound" comment.

Wonder how hard an audacity port would be.

You can put me down for $10 worth. Just PM when they come in.

Sorry to resurrect a "dead" thread, but I would greatly appreciate a Line-In capability / breakout box. Did wizardstan ever order the connectors?

It would be easy to make a simple recording PND using alsautils (arecord) and zenity.

Back