Attempting My D-pad Mod

BobBorakovitz

Hardcore Gamer
Website
gameprobe32.blogspot.com
ok, here's the deal, I want to dpad mod my gp2x. I have an old Gameboy Pocket that I've taken the D-pad and membrane from, and disassembled my gp2x. I think I know how to cut the + out of the front ok, but wouldn't mind some pointers on it. Here's what I am planning on doing. Going to get precise measurements of the dpad and draw it back out onto the gp2x. Then I'm going to drill 2 small holes for each direction (in the corners, 8 total) Then use my fathers dremel to cut the rest of the + out.

Now, here comes the real questions:
The membrane I have has carbon contacts on the underside, I can cut out the original contacts from the gameboy board and wire to that possibly, but I'm sure there are better ways to do this. If I were to do that, I'd have to cut the stick off and glue the board to the base of the original joystick. Would microswitches be a viable option?

Also, does anyone have pics or wiring diagrams to save me from having to trace them all with a multimeter?

I'm no ace at this, but I think I can pull it off. I just have a lot of questions. :)

thanks for reading :D

::edit::here's what I want it to look like when it's complete, SonicNKT did a great job on it, I wonder how he connected it all. http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...st&p=368911

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I could wait, but after shipping to and from germany, plus not having my gp2x for a couple weeks, I think I'll try it on my own. It can't be that hard, I've fixed my headphone jack in my 2x, installed an afterburner front light in an old-school GBA, plus modded many xboxes and built, wired, & setup my own mame cabinet, I'm not tooooo worried ;)

Anyway, I have an N-Gage, but I just think that there are better d-pads out there. If I can get a + D-pad, I'm gonna do it! :D

I finally found this thread with a lot of info, I was looking for it!:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=31624&hl=

purple_goat posted on Feb 7 2007 at 10:51 PM said:
i want to get my psp modded but havn't yet, any tips?
i also plan to build a MAME cabinet but it will probably be more for Neo-Geo, again, any tips?

yeah, i'll hit ya up in PM so not to clutter this thread

No dude, hit us up in the thread! We love that crazy mod stuff. Seriously.

ok, I found my digital camera, so I should be able to take (crappy) pics. I've got to pick up a few things tomorrow morning and run a few errands, but I'll get to it after that. I'm going to follow Nik166 here
His ideas are very close to what I was thinking, and he's taken many pictures and given a lot of tips. The only thing I need still, really, is the wiring on the gp2x mainboard. It'd really help me if someone has it.
Post #24 here
is about as close as i am. At least that'll keep me from testing some of those points :)

Good luck! Actually I am savvy enough to have perform a DPAD mod myself... I'm just not at home (I'm in university accomodation) and I don't have soldering irons etc :)
Also when my stick broke on my 2X I knew that I'd be without it until I got some tools to mod, so it made sense to get it fixed ASAP. :)

Hope it goes well :D

Well, good and not so good, I have the case chopped, the wires soldered, and everything tests ok. But I kinda mangled the case a little... I have to buy a new screen protector and probably paint the gp2x case now, but it'll be worth it in the end... I just have to go buy some hot glue to keep the membrane down on the contacts then put it together.

I'll let you all konw more later today! :)

I couldn't get my digital camera working, but I have a friend bringing one over tonight, so hopefully I'll have some (embarrasing) pics :D

Post some pics of your progress. I like seeing others attempt stuff like this. Dont worry if it looks rough. Mine isnt that pretty either, but it functions 100% (which is what mattered to me).

ok, i have pics of the work done. I had a friend come over with a camera. Since he's left, I've finished the job (so I thought) by gluing the membrane onto the contact board and putting the case back together. I have to say, after doing this mod, the hardest thing is putting the damn case back together with the new stuff in there.

Anyway, now that it's all back together, everything is working, but it needs a little tweaking. the up & right buttons are easy to hit, just like they should be, but the down & left buttons you have to press very hard to register a button press. I think the board is just misaligned, but that means I have to open her back up and adjust the contact board a little then put it all back together ::shudders:: oh well, I can tell that when I'm done, it'll be worth it!

I really need to buy a new screen protector and paint the case. I think I'm going to go with a blue and leave the borders black. I will probably make a gp2x label to go above the d-pad.

Pics will follow once I finish the damn thing :)

Before you take it back apart, just try loosening the screws in the case a good bit and testing again. I know this sounds backwards, but trust me. The center "rocker" portion of the dpad is likely pushing the dpad into the housing. It may need trimming.

ok, I'm so close, but I'm stuck! I'm using the button tester under system settings and when I have the case closed, it gets stuck at the beginning and won't register l+r, but when I open the case and test it all opened, it works perfectly. More testing to do still...sigh...

well, at least another Picodrive hasn't been released, or I'd be stressing a lot more right now :)

Anyone had this problem with any good tips?

grr... no matter what I do, whenever I close the case up, it doesn't pass the control test. But when it's open it works perfectly. The only thing I can think of is to cut up yet another circuit board, this time smaller, and resolder it in. I hate being stuck at 99% done and having to start back at about 50% done. :(

99% the problem is the dpad needs to be trimmed more. Even though it may still move, its getting squashed. You may have to trim the rocker part of the dpad, or the underside of the pad, or even carefully trim the contact pad down a bit.

Back