Attempting A Remake Of Fire Game And Watch

dokworm

Still Fresh
I am attempting a remake of FIRE to run on the GP2X F200, one developer was nice enough to post the source code for his version here:
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,2326

I was wondering if anyone could tell me which compiler was used for this...
Looks like I will be learning 'C' :)

We are attempting to use some clay models that the kids at our school have made to use as the 'graphics' to end up with a claymation style version of various game and watches. Originally were thinking of using flash, but discovered the GP2X and thought it would be perfect as the kids could play their creations on an actual handheld.

Now all we need to do is learn to code :unsure:

Any help really appreciated.

-The Dok.

Flash will be ported eventually, so you could just go with your original plan

C is a fine first programming langauge. People suggest other languages to learn first but I don't. I'd recommend getting K&R's "The C Programming Language (2nd ed)" and O'Reilly's "Practical C". Both should be available used off Amazon by the truckload.

For SDL do a google search for "lazyfoo" and also check out Sol_HSA's tutorials: http://sol.gfxile.net/gp/index.html (Sol_HSA is a GP2X developer!)

If you have problems, you can easily search this site effectively using google's site search. Put "site:gp32x.de" before your search terms. Just about any possible GP2X-specific problem you can imagine has already been addressed

BTW: you posted in the wrong forum, this is the Pandora developer forum and you wanted the GP2X developer forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, sorry about the wrong forum. Thanks for the advice and the links. I used to be a systems programmer back in the 80s on mainframes in COBOL and FORTRAN and in my spare time did BASIC and 6502 assembler programming on the Atari 400, so am an extremely old noob!

So much development is done in C, it seems sensible to get it under my belt.

Thanks again!

Well, I created a generic engine for the creation of Game & Watch games, in C++ (Game & Watch Simulator).

It should abstract all SDL and keyboard handling, you just override the "Game" class and add the graphics and the game logic.

Also it have a project specific for gp2x, and also works on windows and linux.

Back