Atari Vcs Emulation

jimb

Still Fresh
Anything on the grapevine with regards to emulating the Atari VCS?
There were lots of Activision classics for the system such as Enduro and Pitfall II.

The game roms themselves are small enough and the system istelf is very low-spec compared to most systems being emulated.

Real VCS emulation isnt as easy at it seems, somone posted an article about it the other day. This site should give you an idea on what is being developed at the moment, http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Works_In_Progress

Next time search the forums before asking questions that come up all the time.

If anyone has seen the amusing flash anim with the guide to forum posting please stick it here :rolleyes:

Found it! http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Next time search the forums before asking questions that come up all the time
I did .. and nothing came up(!)
Tried "VCS emulator" , "Atari emulator" , "VCS emulation"
Maybe its an Opera thing?

Having said that, it seems to work now. Thanks for the link in any case lucoxade.

lucoxade posted on Oct 20 2005 at 07:27 PM said:
Next time search the forums before asking questions that come up all the time.

Noob.
Everyone knows the search is crap. And no one has asked this before.

Last edited by a moderator:
The link points to post number 32, with a quote asking for Atari 2600 emulation which is the same same as the VCS. This post also has a link to the article explaining the dificultys of emulating this system.

Maybe you folks want to take this fight outside??

Seriously, I'm more annoyed by people barking out "Next time use the search, N00b!" than the innocent newbs askling a question about something they couldn't find on thier own.

*Veering violently back on-topic*

I always wondered why the 2 VCS emus I've used on the GP32 seem incomplete .. many roms don't run, or have severe graphical glitches.

Perhaps it's the lack of 'stellar' games (heh, I almost typed "Stella") .. there's only a handful of titles that are still as much fun to play today as they were back in the early 80's ....

</blabbering>

TelcoLou posted on Oct 20 2005 at 08:05 PM said:
Seriously at I'm more annoyed by people barking out "Next time use the search, N00b!" than the innocent newbs askling a question about something they couldn't find on thier own.
**Grabbing the wheel and smashing through the topic barrier**

I agree! thats why I gave this guy the answers he wanted as well as a link with a nice flash anim. But still, search before posting...

lucoxade posted on Oct 20 2005 at 03:10 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Oct 20 2005 at 08:05 PM said:
Seriously at I'm more annoyed by people barking out "Next time use the search, N00b!" than the innocent newbs askling a question about something they couldn't find on thier own.
**Grabbing the wheel and smashing through the topic barrier**

I agree! thats why I gave this guy the answers he wanted as well as a link with a nice flash anim. But still, search before posting...

B)

cool. Sorry if I came off as a hot-head; it wasn't directed at you, directly ... just a general feeling I've had. I've been here awhile, and am mostly quiet, but I see a lot of Long-timers here bash new folks (not that you did).

1. The question was not common.
2. It does not come up "all the time".
3.Why should the guy scan millions of pages of snes emulation if he is looking for VCS?
4. Newbies can now find info on VCS emulation which was not possible before using the search.
5. If he had started a topic on snes emu i would be pissed, but this guy uses the search and is then told he asked a stupid question.

Its _trivial_ to port the crappier VCS emulator (I ported it to Palm OS in a couple hours.) Stella is a far superior emu (and v2 just came out this week), and should be portable via SDL pretty easily; it needs som edecent performance, but it should be tunable to GP2x without too too much work.

We'll see how things go.. if no one else stewps up, I'll just turn my Atari ST emu into a all-Atari-models emu and do them all :p

jeff

Im hoping a good port of an atari 2600 emu will be available. At the moment only the beta of vcs will work on my gp32 and the compatibility for that isnt so high, but its still pretty damn good.

Stella would rock on the Gp2X is somebody ported it, we will have to wait and see what eventuates I guess.

skeezix posted on Oct 21 2005 at 12:29 AM said:
Its _trivial_ to port the crappier VCS emulator (I ported it to Palm OS in a couple hours.)  Stella is a far superior emu (and v2 just came out this week), and should be portable via SDL pretty easily; it needs som edecent performance, but it should be tunable to GP2x without too too much work.

We'll see how things go.. if no one else stewps up, I'll just turn my Atari ST emu into a all-Atari-models emu and do them all :p

jeff

That would be great if it could be done. It would be cool to have a 2600 emu that could actually run more than 10% of the games.

Back