Asked Pandora; For A French

I didn't think there had been any official news on the keyboard, let alone a compose key. If there has, then please post a link.

raytaller said:
Hi,
Sorry to bump the topic half a year later, but everything is not clear for me about possible remapping of the keys : would it be hard to customize the software keyboard layout with some user defined combinations, as mentioned above ? (Alt + C for ç etc.)
It's easy once you know. The file used for key mapping is somewhat confusing, and you have to figure out what keycode will give you the character you want, but once you have all that, it's a piece of cake with one scoop of vanilla ice cream. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mithrildor said:
Karel Jansens said:
No, you're not. Several Belgians (the stupid ones) use a slightly modified AZERTY version.

Here's to the Pandora developers: Please don't make a hardware AZERTY version; AZERTY is one of the stupidest keyboard layouts in the universe (this from someone who's tried QWERTZ!).
The stupid ones? Oh you mean those who speak dutch. I thought they used QWERTY. Ok now some Vlamingen grappen: (Don't read if you don't understand dutch)

First: Almost all Belgiums use the Azerty layout. Reason: It's the main keyboard layout sold here, so everybody grew up with it.

Second: The Azerty layout is mostly only useful for the French speaking part of Belgium, and France.
Please don't put use Flemish ( Flemish/Dutch speaking/writing part of Belgium. We are about 60% of this country's population ) do not put us in the same boat as the French speaking part.

Third: The Nederlands ( Also speak/write Dutch ), above Belgium use the Qwerty layout.

We the Flemish use the AZERTY standard, but for use it has almost 0 use. The Dutch language has few accented characters. So no, for us the Azerty standard has zero advantages, but because every computer sold in the country needs a Azerty keyboard by law, well... Another nice inheritance from the French minority in the country, pushing there standard on the majority.

And "Mithrildor", i don't like to use profanity's, but here is a well deserved one for you "go een paard neuken eikel. En durf niet afkomen dat je tekst een grap was, want het is een puur belediging."

javaJake said:
It's easy once you know. The file used for key mapping is somewhat confusing, and you have to figure out what keycode will give you the character you want, but once you have all that, it's a piece of cake with one scoop of vanilla ice cream. ;)
Ok, thanks, i'll look for that file when I have the device :)

Fishbong said:
3. The EEE PC has stronger hardware, plus you can install any x86 operating system. It is a PC after all. That means that there are already more emulators for it then there will ever be for the Pandora. But you cannot simply put the EEE in your jeans pocket, if you want to play emulated console games, you´ll have to carry a gamepad around or use the keyboard and the battery life is probably not as long as the Pandora's.
I would be cautious in making the statement that it's stronger- comparing X86 and Cortex-A8, you're not comparing apples to apples (Here's a hint: Some tasks the eee will be better at, others, the Pandora will be...and I've had my hands on a MK0 board and I own an eee...). Moreover, the GPU is actually quite a bit stronger than the one in the eeePC (I happen to have one of the bad boys...) and the eeePC does NOT have any DSP capabilities or Bluetooth built in- the Pandora does. And we won't even get into battery life, etc.

Benjiro said:
Mithrildor said:
Karel Jansens said:
No, you're not. Several Belgians (the stupid ones) use a slightly modified AZERTY version.

Here's to the Pandora developers: Please don't make a hardware AZERTY version; AZERTY is one of the stupidest keyboard layouts in the universe (this from someone who's tried QWERTZ!).
The stupid ones? Oh you mean those who speak dutch. I thought they used QWERTY. Ok now some Vlamingen grappen: (Don't read if you don't understand dutch)

First: Almost all Belgiums use the Azerty layout. Reason: It's the main keyboard layout sold here, so everybody grew up with it.

Second: The Azerty layout is mostly only useful for the French speaking part of Belgium, and France.
Please don't put use Flemish ( Flemish/Dutch speaking/writing part of Belgium. We are about 60% of this country's population ) do not put us in the same boat as the French speaking part.

Third: The Nederlands ( Also speak/write Dutch ), above Belgium use the Qwerty layout.

Small correction: The Dutch QWERTY is different from the US QWERTY, and from the UK one, for that matter. I know, because I'm typing this on a Dutch QWERTY right now, and it's as much a pain as AZERTY to switch from. The ideal keyboard layout for me is US QWERTY with deadkeys support for accents (which is nicely supported by Linux, but has given me the occasional hickup in Windoze).

We the Flemish use the AZERTY standard, but for use it has almost 0 use. The Dutch language has few accented characters. So no, for us the Azerty standard has zero advantages, but because every computer sold in the country needs a Azerty keyboard by law, well... Another nice inheritance from the French minority in the country, pushing there standard on the majority.

I totally agree on that one: AZERTY is a b*tch for anyone but francophones.

And "Mithrildor", i don't like to use profanity's, but here is a well deserved one for you "go een paard neuken eikel. En durf niet afkomen dat je tekst een grap was, want het is een puur belediging."

Chill out, dude. It was kinda funny. Not very, as those jokes are so old they were originally written down in archaic cuneiform, but still good for a chuckle.

Also, remember that the expression is: "Going Dutch", not "going Flemish", for a reason. The Dutch are so cheap, they even have to keep using the same jokes over and over. B)

Back