Release ARM becomes offical Ubuntu platform

Re: ARM becomes offical Ubuntu plattform

Im anderen Forum hat einer 'ne englische News dazu gepostet :)

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9527593286.html

A similar article. This is very good news indeed, considering the speed boost that should be obtained from using armv7a optimizations vs the armel (?)/generic ones that are being used to run Ubuntu on the Pandora now.

Capn_Fish said:
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9527593286.html

A similar article. This is very good news indeed, considering the speed boost that should be obtained from using armv7a optimizations vs the armel (?)/generic ones that are being used to run Ubuntu on the Pandora now.

Thanks for the link, a very good article IMO :)

Sphinxter said:
Even more hilarious when they dump you like sparc.

Lol if anything vaguely popular and/or commodity used sparc i'm sure it would still be supported.

And before you make a PPC argument, there's very very few new PPC systems coming up. The old apple machines are really the best of what's left.

ARM is a SIGNIFICANTLY popular platform, coming as standard fare in all shapes and sized devices, with most of them being handheld. That's a great bit of market to take a bite out of.

Tramboi said:
Well, except for the PS3, XBox360 and the Wii, you mean? ;)

ONE of which allows you to install linux. And it's the LEAST POPULAR of the bunch.

Lets be super generous and say there are 500 million PS3's out. There are over 4 BILLION arm handheld devices out. Not much of a question there.

If PS3's get super super popular and used as home workstations then i'm sure ubuntu would be all over it.

TheCowBoyBob said:
for the ARMv5 and ARMv6 instructions sets.
True, but the Pandora uses the new ARMv7 Cortex A8. Having Canonical do the porting ensures the most thorough and professional product we could hope for. :D

Chip said:
TheCowBoyBob said:
for the ARMv5 and ARMv6 instructions sets.
True, but the Pandora uses the new ARMv7 Cortex A8. Having Canonical do the porting ensures the most thorough and professional product we could hope for. :D
More importantly, it has the correct optimizations for the Pandora's architecture, so it will run at optimal speed* (unlike Debian Armel on the Zaurus/Nokia internet tablets)

*the code. I'm not saying full KDE or Gnome will run like it does on a 3 GHz Intel i7 box with 8 GB RAM.

You're not saying that the p&|a could become an officially supported ubuntu platform? As in, I could just boot up my trusty snes9x emu and play away without any porting being required? If so, that would be awesome :) . So, if this is true, I wouldn't be wrong in assuming that the pandora would be able to run all currently available linux software, would I?

Sorry if I just ran away with that idea, and I hope I understood this.

midna25 said:
I could just boot up my trusty snes9x emu and play away without any porting being required? If so, that would be awesome :) . So, if this is true, I wouldn't be wrong in assuming that the pandora would be able to run all currently available linux software, would I?
No, you'd be wrong. All "currently available linux software" is compiled for x86 processors. The Pandora uses an ARM processor. Any program will at least have to be recompiled for the Pandora.

Back