Are You Getting Ripped Off?

goldbott

Still Fresh
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23032

This right here is a dingoo system for over $20 less. I'm guessing that some must have known about this but I couldn't find anything about it. Anyway is there any advantage to buying from GP2X rather than buying it here? I might get one soon and I don't want to get ripped off.

goldbott said:

This right here is a dingoo system for over $20 less. I'm guessing that some must have known about this but I couldn't find anything about it. Anyway is there any advantage to buying from GP2X rather than buying it here? I might get one soon and I don't want to get ripped off.

i got mine from dx, no problems here.
not sure what you mean about buying from gp2x though. gp2x is made by gph who have nothing to do with the dingoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
goldbott said:

I wouldn't quite say you're getting ripped off, gbax has better customer service & much faster shipping. At DX shipping may be free, but depending on where you are it can take upwards of a month to get to you (mine did, in usa) & there have been reports of it arriving battered (not mine & more the shipping company's fault). In the event you receive a faulty unit I'd say it'd get taken care of much faster with gbax. You're safe ordering from either one, I can vouch for both, but if you want to play it safe go with gbax. It is worth noting that the majority of customers have had no problems whatsoever with DX tho, in fact that's probably where most ppl have gotten theirs. If you were to order one from thinkgeek THEN i'd say you got ripped off, lol.

Consequence9 said:
If you were to order one from thinkgeek THEN i'd say you got ripped off, lol.
You are aware that ThinkGeek only charges £62? :p

Orkie said:
Consequence9 said:
If you were to order one from thinkgeek THEN i'd say you got ripped off, lol.
You are aware that ThinkGeek only charges £62? :p
oh damn! Either I thought they were charging a lot more or they lowered their price... probably the former, lol

thanks I think when I get the cash Ill try DX. Dang that was fast this place is awesome. :blink:

£62 + vat + import duty.

I so tire of this shit, I've been dealing with it for almost TEN years.

Yes the European laws are out of date, blah blah I wish it was easy as people make it sound.

I ordered from dealextreme and I never got charged import tax and I recieved it in perfect condition, only down side is shipping time, it took a fortnight for them to even dispatch it.

craigix said:
£62 + vat + import duty.

I so tire of this shit, I've been dealing with it for almost TEN years.

Yes the European laws are out of date, blah blah I wish it was easy as people make it sound.

Why is it 62 GBP? Doesn't the strong pound make it cheaper? That is $98+, plus isn't vat like 17%? How much is import duty?
Could a British person pay the 82 USD which is only 51GBP? I have ordered stuff from Canada and it allowed my to get it cheaper because the dollar was stronger than the Canadian dollar. I am not trying to pick on you or anything, I am just confused about the pricing. The strong pound kills British exports, at least you would think it gives British people more spending power for foreign goods.

Chris

christo930 said:
Why is it 62 GBP? Doesn't the strong pound make it cheaper? That is $98+, plus isn't vat like 17%? How much is import duty?
Could a British person pay the 82 USD which is only 51GBP? I have ordered stuff from Canada and it allowed my to get it cheaper because the dollar was stronger than the Canadian dollar. I am not trying to pick on you or anything, I am just confused about the pricing. The strong pound kills British exports, at least you would think it gives British people more spending power for foreign goods.

Chris

You have several reasons
* You need to order stuff, that you pay at a certain moment (and usd) and then wait until it arrives by container or other slow shipping (to reduce $$) then the £ vs USD drops even more, making the USD price less in £ but you already payed you're stuff, so you need to sell ALL the stock at the first us/£ rate
* VAT - 17% or so (more in for example Belgium - there it's 21%)
* import taxes ( may be not much like 2% but up to 14% for some stuff)
* warranty , AFIK you have to give one year in the UK (2 years in .BE for ex) - warranty costs $$ (or ££) and you need to get this calculated in
* Advancing the money - if you pay like 80 usd and then it takes 2 months to get the thing in your letter box then that's not "a big thing" for you, but if you need to advance 80000 usd and wait 2 months this costs you $$ - or by lending the money or losing intrest rate.
* make a few £ on the sale, webservers and stockroom also cost money

I'm sure there are more reasons, this is just simply things I write out of my head.

so it bottoms down that if you are prepared to
* take the risk to "get cought" at customs
* be prepared to possibly wait a month (or more - but might also 10 day's) to get the thing
go for DX

Otherwise get a local dealer that has stock, but the don't think to fast they are "ripping you off".

DealExtreme is the way to go. I have yet to meet someone who has had significant problems with their site. You can pay through PayPal, Visa, MaterCard, etc. Free shipping, no import charges, no conversion from US dollars to GBP, and the list goes on...

Back