Anyone Know How To Tell The Difference Between

Bramrash

Last night my laptop screen suddenly went dark, you can still make out a faint image on it if you look closely, but it's to dark to use properly. I've done research, and i've found that the problem is either the backlight, or (apparently more probably) the inverter.

Ive looked at my inverter and there is a big grey rectangular box on it, with a metal thing on either side. The metal things, and around the metal things, look a bit brown, as if they have been burned.

So i'm hoping that this means the inverter is bad and not the backlight, which means that I wont have to open the actual LCD module itself, which would be nice. I have bid for a new inverter on ebay (so far its at £9 including postage :D ), which says it works with all sony vaio PCG-K series laptops.

I will post a pic of the inverter tomoz if it will help, can't be bothered now. I suppose basically what i'm asking is; Is stuff allowed to look a bit burned and still be working?

I doubt i'll get many replies to this because of my lack of descriptive skills, words, knowledge, good looks and social skills, but never mind.

Cheers Dave.

Oh, and for those counting, yes, this is my second laptop screen problem in less than a year, thank god this problem is a cheaper one.

Never buy a sony vaio laptop, thats the advice i give you. <_<

Bramrash said:
Last night my laptop screen suddenly went dark, you can still make out a faint image on it if you look closely, but it's to dark to use properly. I've done research, and i've found that the problem is either the backlight, or (apparently more probably) the inverter.

Ive looked at my inverter and there is a big grey rectangular box on it, with a metal thing on either side. The metal things, and around the metal things, look a bit brown, as if they have been burned.

So i'm hoping that this means the inverter is bad and not the backlight, which means that I wont have to open the actual LCD module itself, which would be nice. I have bid for a new inverter on ebay (so far its at £9 including postage :D ), which says it works with all sony vaio PCG-K series laptops.

I will post a pic of the inverter tomoz if it will help, can't be bothered now. I suppose basically what i'm asking is; Is stuff allowed to look a bit burned and still be working?

I doubt i'll get many replies to this because of my lack of descriptive skills, words, knowledge, good looks and social skills, but never mind.

Cheers Dave.

Oh, and for those counting, yes, this is my second laptop screen problem in less than a year, thank god this problem is a cheaper one.

Never buy a sony vaio laptop, thats the advice i give you. <_<
Never buy a Sony Vaio desktop either. They are gorgeous, but the rest is not very impressive. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
OMars said:
Never buy a Sony Vaio desktop either. They are gorgeous, but the rest is not very impressive. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it sounds like the Inverter is dead...

if you turn the screen off then back on does it come on for 2 seconds and go off?? The Inverter powers the back light which requires a high voltage.

Cheers Steve-o, the inverter came yesterday morning anyway, having won it for £8.99 including delivery :D . I plugged it in and all is fixed. Im sooo glad i didn't have to open up the LCD module.

Bram

Back