Anyone Else Worried About Their Pandora Getten Stolen

I'm just worried mine will be faulty or something will happen to it during shipping. I've had 2 packages stolen because the idiot postmen leave them outside my door instead of leaving a note as they should. Once I found one of the first printed prototypes of my first boardgame outside my door, considering there where only 3 of those made it would not have been fun if someone stole that. If anyone wonders I have actually heard the postman ring my doorbell, leave the package and then hearing someone walking by snatching it, I was in the shower.

im just worried that about the off chance that it does happen it will be very difficult to replace. Or imagine if it is damaged in transit of left out in the rain during delivery that would suck

Im a student in college.Free wi-fi access there.Stuff is stolen from lockers or if you blink,dont ,blink,think,dont blink,think,etcetcetc.I will keep it on me always.

No, other people just have to worry about dying, painfully and messily if they try to steal it.

I'm not worried about mine being stolen, lost, damaged, or, well, anything, really. I've always been careful with my stuff, and have never fallen victim to any of those things, thankfully.

@JayFoxRox

you surf the web while snowboarding in the rain? AWESOME! :eek:

@RobertHoward45

Or imagine if it is damaged in transit of left out in the rain during delivery

you sue for the damaged goods, they can't just deliver something with no signature, jump up and down on it then leave it in a puddle and claim it was delivered safely "cos we say so", there are laws/requirements of proof etc, no need to worry about what happens to it before you get it, just make sure you check the parcels contents before signing for it, you are allowed to do that, doesn't matter if the delivery guy is "in a hurry", if he insists then sign it and add "not inspected on receipt".

Remember, there is a component on the board right near the back seem that will kill the pandora if it gets conductive material on it... water is a concern. I might coat that in epoxy on mine.

binary_bronco said:
I swear I remember someone saying it didn't have a wrist-strap loop. I hope I'm wrong though.
In one of the latest case revisions they added a hole for a wrist-strap.

Here you can see it quite well
http://gs113.photobucket.com/groups/n213/I0S2J7KION/?action=view&current=SneakPVW2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
binary_bronco said:
I swear I remember someone saying it didn't have a wrist-strap loop. I hope I'm wrong though.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure even the white see-though test case had the lanyard hole.

BackAssward said:
Remember, there is a component on the board right near the back seem that will kill the pandora if it gets conductive material on it... water is a concern. I might coat that in epoxy on mine.
I don't *think* you've got any reason to worry about that, somehow (no more than any other device, anyway). :)

MWeston said:
BackAssward said:
What would happen if a liquid got in there, say a splash of water or a Coke? It's right next to the seam and two case openings. Or is this just a problem with the "capacitance" of our bodies and not an issue with a conductive material getting on it?

Though, I guess that wouldn't help any parts of the inside, except that many electronics are fine once dried out, this sounds like a splash could fry the board, if liquids are indeed an issue.
Liquids or conductive material can short something out or cause a failure on any electronics. There's nothing unique here. There's nothing more or less risky about Pandora. It's just a piece of electronics like anything else. Many circuits are sensitive in most devices out there. No one sticks a label on them because they don't expect untrained individuals to be digging around inside. Since I know some people are going to be in there (at their own risk), I put a warning. That's it.

BackAssward said:
mali said:
binary_bronco said:

To be honest, I'm pretty sure even the white see-though test case had the lanyard hole.
I don't know. After the curved lid was designed it didn't have the hole, yet.
http://gs113.photobucket.com/groups/n213/I0S2J7KION/?action=view&current=final_3.jpg
The CNC was near final, so it might have had the hole already.

mali said:
BackAssward said:
mali said:
binary_bronco said:

I don't know. After the curved lid was designed it didn't have the hole, yet.
http://gs113.photobu...ent=final_3.jpg
The CNC was near final, so it might have had the hole already.

The hole is on the back between the USB and Power slots (a bit lower) so that pic wouldn't show it. Look at the pics on MWeston's photobucket, of the ones with the sil-screening. His pics of the white ones aren't the right angle to see if it had the hole or not, but I see if the ones on the old blog post do. Really, it's a trivial matter about when it was added, we know it has one presently.

Edit @ Prometheus: There is a difference in a device stopping to work while wet, and getting fried if wet. Most of my electronics that got wet were fine once they dried out... this component can fry out the unit forever if it got wet... and it is right next to the seam of the case.

Edit 2 @ Mali: Yeah, I went and found that vid too, and the one after it... I forgot they moved one of the holes from the back to the bottom later though. Good call.

BackAssward said:
The hole is on the back between the USB and Power slots (a bit lower) so that pic wouldn't show it. Look at the pics on MWeston's photobucket, of the ones with the sil-screening. His pics of the white ones aren't the right angle to see if it had the hole or not, but I see if the ones on the old blog post do. Really, it's a trivial matter about when it was added, we know it has one presently.
You are right, they redesigned the hole later. First both openings were on the back and later they put one on the back and one on the bottom.
The clear CNC had it already
http://www.youtube.com/user/EvilDragon1717?blend=2&ob=1&rclk=cth#p/u/10/B50Kh70AeE4
the earlier version did not
http://gs113.photobucket.com/groups/n213/I0S2J7KION/?action=view&current=final_2.jpg

BackAssward said:
Edit @ Prometheus: There is a difference in a device stopping to work while wet, and getting fried if wet. Most of my electronics that got wet were fine one they dried out... this component can fry out the unit forever if it got wet... and it is right next to the seam of the case.
Are you sure? MWeston seemed to be saying that it's no different to any other device, there. Am I really reading it that wrongly?

Prometheus said:
BackAssward said:
Edit @ Prometheus: There is a difference in a device stopping to work while wet, and getting fried if wet. Most of my electronics that got wet were fine one they dried out... this component can fry out the unit forever if it got wet... and it is right next to the seam of the case.
Are you sure? MWeston seemed to be saying that it's no different to any other device, there. Am I really reading it that wrongly?
While it's impossible to make a general statement as to whether electronics will be destroyed by getting wet, it's often the case that if a device that's off gets wet, it will be okay if it's thoroughly dried. The Pandora is no different - that particular part said "do not touch while live", and I don't know that any electronics would survive getting wet while they're actually running.

Tom` said:
The Pandora is no different - that particular part said "do not touch while live", and I don't know that any electronics would survive getting wet while they're actually running.
As I said, most of mine that got wet survived when dried out... I meant "got wet" while alive (and I mean wet to the point they shorted and powered down). Including Cellphone, and Laptop. This part can fry if touched while alive... he never actually answered the question is water (or coke) would fry it (or just temporarily short it out)... e,g, is it a conductivity issue or a capacitance issue. To err on the side of caution, if touching it could fry it, I would think a conductive material could too... hence the epoxy idea... many companies do that to sensitive parts.

Edit @ Prometheus: My post in that thread was a response to MWeston saying if the Pandora was powered on and you touched that component, it would fry. As I said in this post,he never actually said one way or the other is water would fry it. Presumably it would... (I believe) he's just saying water would also fry other electronics, which in my case isn't true, most of my live electronics that got wet to the point of wpowering down, did not fry, and were fine once dry (I say most because I don't have an eidetic memory, so can't be sure if I forgot one... otherwise I'd say all).

to all those panicking about "fatal" components that die when wet, I am pretty sure this came up when Mweston was talking in a thread about video out and hacking it to connect a monitor or something, he made it quite plain that messing with the video out section of the board could kill it, that's true for any device, and he didn't want people trying to solder to delicate surface mount devices, messing up, and trying to claim it was still under warranty, can I have a new one?

I don't see any devices on the board that could be killed by simply getting wet, it IS possible that something may stop working until it dries out, high frequency circuits and water don't work too well together since it can alter the capacitance of tracks, leak voltage etc, but I don't think getting caught in the rain will cause the Pandora to explode or die, like all electrical devices, it's just not a good idea to drop it in the bath/toilet/washing machine etc <_< .

all you need to do if you do get it wet and it stops working is to pull the battery, rinse it out with plenty of clean water (assuming the water it was dropped in wasn't clean), then put it to dry in a warm, not hot, place, and leave it for a week before trying again, I fixed my friends mobile that way, and she still uses it to this day (dropped in a boating lake, pulled out of smelly mud, washed in a bowl of soapy water once, then rinsed in clean water twice and then stuck in the airing cupboard.

washing it in more water might seem odd, but it wants to be clean when it dries out, you don't want conductive residue or salts on the circuitry, and it's wet already right?, so a few seconds more won't do any more harm once the batteries out (assuming you have a sink, water fountain, water cooler, etc handy, otherwise, dry it out the best you can, and if the fluid is dirty or coffee or something then wash it asap to remove crud), some hints for mobiles/keyboards etc follow

save a wet phone

drying out a keyboard

worth a read, one poster went swimming with his, several had em come back too life after a few days/weeks

good advice

Hobbyman, my point is that we know a component can fry if touched while on, so since MWeston didn't say yes/no on if water can fry it, it is safer to believe it can. I don't mean 'short it out' until dry, I mean fry, dead, end of life. We know this can kill the component if touched while live (MWeston said so)... so presumably a conductive material could too... and it's right next to the case seam. Please re-read the posts.

Edit: Yes, 100% sure based on what MWeston said, touching this component while live can kill the component. We just don't have an answer if water/coke/urine will.

Edit:
MWeston said:
"Do not touch when live"

It's the feedback loop for the 5V supply and the capacitance from your body is enough to throw it out of whack and even destroy the chip. It's ridiculously sensitive but it runs fine if you leave it alone.
zumae9.png

Back