Any Speed Improvements With Better Sd Cards?

Griffer

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I have just ordered a gp2x. And while waiting for it i have been looking over the SD card market.

Are there any speed improvements with a more expensive SD card? Or does it even matter in the gp2x? I would think that large games, would benefit from a faster card?

Im asking this because a mate recently tested PDAs at work. And he realized that some really cheap cards are almost running at half speed compared to more expensive SD cards. Anyone else experienced something similiar with their gp2x?

Well cards have their speed listed, i've seen cheap 150x cards and 50x cards for almost the same price so i guess i don't really know lol

Hehe yea :). I noticed the speed thing too, but i don't really know what 40x is... 40 what? If it's some official speed chart thingie, then i guess it okay to buy the cheap cards, anybody able to verify that?

Incredible what some searching can do :D

8X = 1.2 Mb/sec
12X = 1.8 Mb/sec
20X = 3.0 Mb/sec
25X = 3.8 Mb/sec
30X = 4.5 Mb/sec
40X = 6.0 Mb/sec
60X = 9.0 Mb/sec
66X = 10.0 Mb/sec
80X = 12.0 Mb/sec
90X = 15.0 Mb/sec
133X = 20.0 Mb/sec
150x = 22.5 Mb/sec

Griffer posted on Jul 25 2006 at 09:10 AM said:
I have just ordered a gp2x. And while waiting for it i have been looking over the SD card market.

Are there any speed improvements with a more expensive SD card? Or does it even matter in the gp2x? I would think that large games, would benefit from a faster card?

Im asking this because a mate recently tested PDAs at work. And he realized that some really cheap cards are almost running at half speed compared to more expensive SD cards. Anyone else experienced something similiar with their gp2x?
The time it takes to copy stuff onto the card and off again in a USB 2.0 reader makes the speed worth it, even if the GP2X didn't notice when playing.

Also some emulator's it helps, others, not so much. PSX emu needs a faster card for example.

If in the US get an Adata 2GB from Newegg.com for around $50 with tax and shipping, or a 4GB for $80 something plus shipping, good deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie posted on Jul 25 2006 at 12:50 PM said:
Also some emulator's it helps, others, not so much. PSX emu needs a faster card for example.
From what I've heard, the GP2X itself is the bottleneck, and faster cards really wouldn't really provide any speed benefit. I bought some rather cheap Lexar and Sandisk cards without any indication of what their speed is, and they seem to work well... although Gngeo has noticable pauses when it loads graphics... so would a faster card actually help here?

--Zero

Ze_ro posted on Jul 25 2006 at 02:05 PM said:
nubie posted on Jul 25 2006 at 12:50 PM said:
From what I've heard, the GP2X itself is the bottleneck, and faster cards really wouldn't really provide any speed benefit. I bought some rather cheap Lexar and Sandisk cards without any indication of what their speed is, and they seem to work well... although Gngeo has noticable pauses when it loads graphics... so would a faster card actually help here?

--Zero

Well I have a sandisk 2 gb SD card. I plan on getting a 4gb Transcend 150x card. I will see if it helps with GnGeo. I'm hoping so, cause the pausing is a tad annoying at times, and does affect gameplay somewhat.

I have 2 SanDisk's SD card, 1gb one and 2gb the other
the 2gb claims to be faster than the 1gb one, but both behave exactly the same in gp2x file transfers (450kb/s aprox) so if I take a guess, it would be that it doesn't matter wich card you buy

altough, neither cards were 150x grade, perhaps it would make some/any difference, but I really doubt it.. also hdparm for gp2x says that both are equally same reading speed

AFAIK the faster speed cards can make a difference.

I had a 4GB Adata Turbo 150x and it was fast and now I'm using some crap Hama SD card that's 50x and I notice the difference when I'm writing files to it or when I'm viewing pictures on the card. (Especially when they're straight off the camera at thier 3.2 megapixel resolution.)

I would buy the highspeed card just for the benifit of writing to it quicker though.

I have no idea whether this is accurate or not, but I have a slower-marked card (40X), and I seem to have some trouble with the video player locking up when its rescaling video and outputting it to TV-Out simultaneously. I heard that this is a known bug that only occurs with certain SD cards, and will be fixed in the next firmware release (don't quote me on that), so I'd imagine that speed might have something to do with it. I hope to buy a bigger, faster card soon, though - if I notice a difference, I'll probably post to let people know.

Back