Any Morrowind fans here..?

It's time to resurrect this thread !!! ARISE !!! MWAHAHAHAH !!! (It's short so maybe no one will complain :p)

I continue the discussion started here https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/th...inish-at-some-point.75750/page-3#post-1383081

Agricola said:
just throwing a Levitation 1 spell on an enemy to slow him down felt great, especially because it's not supposed to be a negative effect.

This phrase alone just enlightened me !! O_O You know, I was NEVER able to play with a mage !!! I tried two or three times, but it was so weak, slow and almost unable to cast decent spells at the beginning...

So I played with my first roll, a thief, created just to try the game, doing random things and exploring around... and then I found this big city on the water, and lost myself for two hours in the library... everything changed after that, and I used it as my main character.
But at least it was able to flee, hide and using arrows, so it was somehow convenient at the beginning, then it maxed out all the abilities required by all the guilds I was able to enter, but now I think that actually I was still not enough open minded to use a mage... so many possibilities are raining in my mind !!

Agricola said:
But I would have liked it if at least the main quest or guild quests were organised a bit more. Who would write information that's important for the future of the world down the same way as
Ahnassi says it is my turn to give her a gift. She wants just two flowers -- one coda flower for Ahnassi, and one pretty gold kanet for me.
? (real journal entry btw) Every time I returned to the game after a few monthes and had no clue what's the next step in the main quest, I had to flip through pages of useless information like that. That's not realism in my opinion, but yes, I generally liked the quest system more than the dumbed down Skyrim quests with markers for positions where people are hiding from you. Stumbling upon crypts while searching for quest locations that only had the information "go east and turn south at the big stone" was pretty cool, and finding Daedric artifacts felt WAY more rewarding.

The diary could have been indeed improved with a better way to search for informations, or maybe let the user to add manual entries...

I also didn't like very much the "hypertext" dialogs... I preferred more how the dialogs were in Daggerfall, where you were also able to write questions, and also the people were telling you EXACTLY where a person was "last time I saw him it was 200 meters in that direction" (or something like that) and they actually pointed at the direction !!

In Morrowind if you ask at Cate "where is Cate ?", she tells "Cate is in the cafe in the city blahblah" ... it is so lame...

Anyway, the disposition of the things on the map was awesome !! It was always rewarding to wander around !! I only had the fear to break some quests when finding strange weapons or such, and at some point I started leaving them where I found them... just pointing out the location on the map... just in case

Last edited:
Most fun I had with Morrowind back in the day was figuring out all the alchemy combinations by actually trying and taking notes. I didn't know that just leveling the skill would serve me all the possible combinations on a silver plate. I truly felt like an alchemist.
One of the first things I found was psychokinesis which was an awesome tool for thievery. Stole the sword of woe right at the beginning.
Just in case you don't know this, there's this mage guy falling down from the sky near the starting town, carrying a few scrolls of icarian flight. If you use one, just follow it up with a second shortly before hitting the ground and it will brake your fall. So you can basically jump all over the map.
There's a YT video by a guy who uses this to finish the game within a few minutes. Quite fun to watch.

Just in case you don't know this, there's this mage guy falling down from the sky near the starting town, carrying a few scrolls of icarian flight. If you use one, just follow it up with a second shortly before hitting the ground and it will brake your fall.
A lot better to use a short Slowfall 1 spell, that way you can safe the scrolls. I actually use an enchanted ring with Feather 100, Jump 100, Fortify Acrobatics 100 and Fortify Strenght 100 spell on it, each effect for 1 second or so, and enchanted boots with constant Slowfall 1. These 4 effects on the ring are the only way to get a similar effect like the Scroll of Icarian Flight without modding the game to support the same effect multiple times, and if done in the right order when enchanting (yes, enchantments are cheaper in a certain order, the way the game calculates the cost is weird) they all fit on an exquisite ring. With an Enchanting skill of >150 (my shield gives me 87 as a constant enchantment) using this ring only costs one point, with 400 charges that recharge rather quickly it's the best way to get around in my opinion. Only problem is setting it up, you either need a couple of 100k gold or an enchantment skill of 1200, though the ladder is only temporarily needed, thus easier. And with the Azura's Star, a soul trap spell and a Summon Golden Saint spell it's easy to do crazy things like that all the time.

The magic system is awesome, especially enchantments and alchemy. :D

Last edited:
I can t wait for the total conversion of skyrim with the name Enderal. If you dont know check out sureai.net
For morrowind and oblivion there is a conversion already available.

@Taeko
Yeah, I read about that, sounds interesting. But nothing will ever come close to the awesomeness of Morrowind.
And with mods like Tamriel Rebuilt I personally don't need total conversions, this one just expands the base game of Morrowind with multiple times the area of the base game. I just hope they ever get to finish it, right now it's "just" a bit more than Vvardenfell if I remember correctly. And OpenMW also makes the game a lot better, background cell loading and caching is the best feature ever - expect for really crazy stuff like the jumping I described, the game has virtually no loading times once you're in the game.

@kuru : yes, I remember that guy with a scroll... it was just outside the starting village, also it was the first time I died, and something like "this game suck" came out from my mouth :D

Anyway, without dealing too much with magic or alchemy (I did just only the things required for the related guilds), my thief at some point was able to cover Morrowind from north to south with 3 jumps, without magic (somehow)...
at some point in the main quest you'll get sick, and while the time passes your attributes will slowly change, with overpowered physical abilities and underpowered mental abilities... and you'll have to find a cure for this... but it took a LOT of time in my case... the good thing is that when finally I found it, it indeed restored the intelligence at it's right value, but left all the physical attributes overpowered !! :D
So, I had already a thief with jumping maxed out, that now was super powerful, and at some point I also found the ring to transform into werewolf at will !! My first jump was like "wait... WHAT ?!" O_O during the second jump I just went to the kitchen to eat something while waiting for the landing :D

My main character's "clutter area" by the way:
upload_2016-6-16_0-59-20.png
Isn't it beautiful?:D And I've still got an area to put my more usefull itemsxD

Oh damn, I played this game way too much...
[doublepost=1466032472,1466031924][/doublepost]Never played as a Werewolf, and the Corprus healing was way too important to me to let it wait a while - so I didn't get any bonuses from it. Maybe that was also a bug that's fixed now in OpenMW, I'm not sure - when I started playing Morrowind again after a couple of years, I used the open source engine right from the beginning.

Edit: And I can cover Morrowind from northwest of Solstheim to southeast of Vvardenfell in one jump :p
Dick comparison in Morrowind...

Actually a personal lair was extremely needed in that game, too much things to get and so few space in the backpack... at some point I installed a plugin that added a proper home, with rooms for every specialty, a library and dummies where putting armors... it was a must !! :)

I wanted to try being a vampire at some point, but it was too late, because I already was immune to every kind of plague... also I erased too many of their guilds while in free explorations before, so it could have been useless...
anyway, seems like the original missions for a vampire are really few, and at some point you'll really have to search for a cure, and it's difficult if no man wants to speak to you or guards attacks on see preventing you to go in libraries for clues...
so I recommend to add some kind of plugin for the purpose, I don't remember how it was called, but was adding more vampiric quests and also gave you the possibility to become a master and give missions to newbie vampires.

A really great plugin I played for a bit was "Predator Hunters and Prey", it was really awesome and also it was incredibly fitting with everything, it have a new race (guess which), and every piece of a Predator armor/weapons (including the WORKING shoulder plasma cannon) !!!
Most of the creatures are substituted by Aliens of every shape, including the Queen !! And the story is great, you should really start a new game as a Predator to follow it from the beginning because there's a reason if you start naked and have to find by yourself all the pieces of your equipment.

@Agricola : you can't beat 3 Furry jumps, you Furry-less friend :D

I wanted to try being a vampire at some point, but it was too late, because I already was immune to every kind of plague...
Weakness to common disease can really work wonders in that regard, and most players I talked to recommend becoming a vampire after you've reached a certain level and done this quest anyway. I personally always stayed being human/elf/lizard person/weird cat.
To my knowledge vampire quests are very limited to a character, but you get different ones according to which vampire infected you, as there are about 3 different tribes and you become whatever your infecting one was and only get their quests.

Last time I really put a serious amount of time into playing and beat the game for the first time, I didn't use any mods that changed the game's mechanics or made it easier - just a few texture replacements and OpenMW to make it look and run better on my computer. I will probably install a few mods like Tamriel Rebuilt and a house mod (in the picture you see Caius Cosades' House, I couldn't use any containers because it would have flagged everything as stolen) just to make it a different experience from last time, but new races or other crazy things break the illusion and overall design of the game for me. With my current character, I still want to beat the Telvanni quests and maybe beat Almalexia just so I can say this character can beat the 3 most powerful NPCs (the other ones being Vivec and Gaenor), but after that, there's nothing to go for with this overpowered Breton. I mean, just look at her armor and magic effects, the ladder are just the constant ones, she can use any spells without using mana and the sword has a 100 magic damage and 100% weakness to magic enchantment on it. Any damage I get gets healed automatically over time and running doesn't use any stamina as it also gets filled up faster than it gets depleted. It's ridiculous.

If you really want to get into the game, I recommend uesp.net. It can spoil a lot of story lines if used incorrectly, but if you want to look up how a mechanic of the game works exactly it can be very informative. I learned a lot of things just by trying them, like most of my knowledge about enchantments which I use with pretty much every character I create, but for very specific aspects, like brewing invisibility potions which work distinctively different from any other potion, it can be a great tool.

I modded it almost from the beginning (I played the GotY edition so there were already many mods around), but not for cheating, I was in need to the things it was lacking in playability, mood and graphic.

For example I didn't like so much the graphic from the beginning, not the world but mostly how dumbed down were the people... in Daggerfall they were 2D sprites but they had a better look !! So I installed all the graphic enhancements I found (yeah, nude too), and it became awesome.

Then I added "Living cities of Vvanderfell" (if I remember the name), that made every NPC go to home at night and work at day, and actually it made the game more difficult when there was the need to search for someone, but I liked it, it was more real.

Another thing I REALLY needed and the game was badly lacking was the "Marksman mod" (again, if I remember it's name), because, as an archer, I had to go around with like 200 arrows that were heavy and completely lost at EVERY use and not easily replaceable !!
So, what did this mod was to add a very high probability to find the arrows that hit the enemy (not the ones who missed), inside it's carcass.
Also, it added "wood" ingredient to actually create arrows by hands !!
(When I finished the game I also tried another GREAT mod that made you create with alchemy ingredients almost every type of arrows, from the poisoned to the explosive ones, and some were also doing area damage, if I knew this before maybe I could have used it :D but maybe this could have been a little unbalanced :p)

Some others mods were just bug fixing for rings or magic armors that were never patched from the official team.

Morrowind FREE for 24 hours from Bethesda site
https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/tes25

Anyway, it requires a Bethesda.net account + Bethesda launcher-client

EDIT:
people reports that once the game is downloaded (with their client), the client itself could be uninstalled because all that is needed to play is in the game folder.

EDIT:
I wonder why Bethesda has an advised free download for "TES: Arena", but I can't find anywhere "TES: Daggerfall" in their site...

Last edited:
I didn't like Skyrim nearly as much as Morrowind. I think the order I liked them was the order they came out: 1. Morrowind, 2. Oblivion, and 3. Skyrim. Oblivion was too bright and shiny and Skyrim was to Dark and cold looking. Morrowind had areas of both, it felt more like a real world.

The free Morrowind had been extended do to the issues yesterday.
Also TES: Arena has been "free" for a few years but the download is often not obvious. Same with Daggerfall.

What's the different between game of the year and not? I've got original on Steam, only briefly played it though

Back