GP32 Any Different Than Gnu/linux ?

tweek888

Still Fresh
I was wondering if programming for the gp2x is different than for a i386 pc running Gnu/Linux, I've seen that the o\s is based on Gnu\linux? But I'm not sure if that woudl change from the architechture?

Thanks for your help/critizism.

b.t.w I don't own one[ yet :) ]

(sorry wrong forum :( can I get a move?)

Help:
Im pretty sure the kernel is standard Linux just compiled for the arm processor instead of x86. I'm guessing that most programs will have to be staticaly linked if they require anymore than what is available in the 1MB area that (for lack of a better name)gp2x linux takes up. I reckon that the filesystem layout isn't standard and that the boot loader isnt grub or lilo. Beyond that I haven't read anything that would suggest major changes to the way things compile or run.

Critizism:
GNU/Linux may be the proper name for the operating system but most users,developers, and distibutors drop GNU from the title. So unless you want to get flamed I would reframe from calling it GNU/linux :).

It's pretty much like coding for any other linux, especially if you use SDL. The SDK comes with gcc 2.95 which is pretty old but does the job for most things, and if you use 2.95 you can dynamically link with the libs on the device. If you move up to a more recent gcc then you currently have to statically link which increases the size of your app (a few meg instead of a few hundred k, but it's not that important with the size of sd cards these days). Even with 2.95 you may have to static compile with some libs as the gp2x doesn't come with everything you may need (sdl_mixer is one I know of).

The only real difference I've seen so far is the joystick in SDL is mapped as a load of buttons instead of an actual stick, so if you're porting rather than writing from scratch then you'll have to modify the input routines.

Aimless_E posted on Oct 21 2005 at 08:50 AM said:
Critizism:
GNU/Linux may be the proper name for the operating system but most users,developers, and distibutors drop GNU from the title. So unless you want to get flamed I would reframe from calling it GNU/linux :).
hardly...

Accolade:
Gnu/Linux is the proper name and for your use of it you should give yourself a cookie.

Critizism:
You posted in the wrong form, this is for GP32 Developer's not GP2X (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showforum=45) - go ahead and take the aforementioned cookie away from yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help!

I am well aware I posted in the wrong forum.(I noticed after I posted and could not find a way to delete it)

woogal thanks for the heads up about the compiler version :)

and aimless_e for info about the kernel

Thanks again!

DijiTao posted on Oct 21 2005 at 04:53 PM said:
Aimless_E posted on Oct 21 2005 at 08:50 AM said:
Critizism:
hardly...

Accolade:
Gnu/Linux is the proper name and for your use of it you should give yourself a cookie.
Actually, the GP2X doesn't look like it includes much (if any?) of the GNU system, so in this case just saying it is "Linux based" is probably more accurate!

Though to confuse matters, when you develop for it you'll probably be using GNU tools throughout ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back