Any complainers here?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I did some impromptu supermarket shopping recently & a few of the food items were either missing bits or in a less than stellar condition (all were well within their best before dates) I mentioned this to a colleague & she is adamant that I should be taking this up with the company.. My general attitude for life's little annoyances is C'est la vie etc but was wondering if in this case I should be taking matters further, what do you guys reckon?

If it spoils you enjoying the food or means you have to throw away or waste then get on the supermarket's case, otherwise, meh.

I would only pursue it if you gain something from it:

If those items were expensive enough that getting the money back would be worth the, I don't know, depends, 10/20/40 minutes it takes you to get the money, then do it.

If you are very annoyed and you feel complaining would make you feel better, do it.

If you think it's just not acceptable that a company sells food in this condition and you want them to change (for you and everyone else), then do it.

But only out of principle, for no further reason than to complain? No.

If you feel that complaining will get you further, then by all means do it!

shop elsewhere
This. The only way you can hurt companies like these is to hit them where it hurts. You're not going to make a difference in the short term, but if enough of your friends/colleagues are aware and also go elsewhere then it can soon mount up.

D.

shop elsewhere
 This. The only way you can hurt companies like these is to hit them where it hurts. You're not going to make a difference in the short term, but if enough of your friends/colleagues are aware and also go elsewhere then it can soon mount up.

D.
There could actually be problems they don't know about, reporting to them may help them improve, while just reducing their profits isn't going to give them a clear idea of why.

Exactly Exophase. To the OP, what I would recommend is telling them about it, but not actually as a complaint. Just a sort of "I'm letting you know of a small problem" type thing.

With exophase here. Companies generally never recieve complaints because people will just go elsewhere.

A group of work mates and i go to a lot of places and always give feedback.

I'd let them know, you might even get some freebies too.

During school days, my mate wrote a letter complaining about crisps being broken in his packet... As a joke really... Obviously crisps get broken.

He got a box full sent to him for that letter

I'd let them know, you might even get some freebies too.

During school days, my mate wrote a letter complaining about crisps being broken in his packet... As a joke really... Obviously crisps get broken.

He got a box full sent to him for that letter
Looks like I need to start writing some letters.  Mine are broken even if they were purchased with all the little bags in a box.  I think I should be getting a few trucks full. :p  

I did some impromptu supermarket shopping recently & a few of the food items were either missing bits or in a less than stellar condition (all were well within their best before dates) I mentioned this to a colleague & she is adamant that I should be taking this up with the company.. My general attitude for life's little annoyances is C'est la vie etc but was wondering if in this case I should be taking matters further, what do you guys reckon?
In general: if something annoys you, then complain about it. They are probably not even aware of the problem so if nobody complains, they're unlikely to find out. In the worst case nothing will happen. In the best case something will improve and/or you will get something out of it personally.

Don't spend too much time on it though: writing a letter, email, or using some kind of feedback form should be enough. If they make you go through lots of hoops just to give feedback/complain, then they're probably going to ignore you anyway. In that case it depends on the severity of the issue whether it is worth the effort to use stronger action (e.g. contacting consumer organizations, trade unions, press, lawsuits or whatever is applicable).

I've once paid quite a large sum for a electronic device that was supposed to be available in two months, but the person I've paid it to never sent me that device. I've tried complaining, but that didn't get me very far.

Back