Any Chance Of A Basic Language Port

Dragon12

Still Fresh
Any chance of a proper basic language port. I have had just about all I can take with Fenix and Python, and I would rather have my eyes gouged out with a hot poker than learn C or C++.

And by the way, whats up with python? It won't even run unless I am connected to the internet. It says to ignore it because it uses some loopback thingy that I dont understand, but I am on dialup, and I am not going to keep hooking up to the internet just to try an example program.

Any chance of a proper basic language port. I have had just about all I can take with Fenix and Python, and I would rather have my eyes gouged out with a hot poker than learn C or C++.

And by the way, whats up with python? It won't even run unless I am connected to the internet. It says to ignore it because it uses some loopback thingy that I dont understand, but I am on dialup, and I am not going to keep hooking up to the internet just to try an example program.

Porting a 'basic' package would be easy, but useless unless oyu want to print 1 through 10, and junk like that. Assuming you want to do things like write games or the like, you need 'libraries' -- extensions. BASIC (and C, and Python, and every other language) don't do much themselves.. itds their libraries that get you all the real meat.

So what you're asking for is a BASIC interp, with a full gp2x or SDL library for it; if there isn't one with SDL already out there, it'd be a lot of work. If there is one... go find it ;)

But your'e also saying 'I'm too lazy to learn the languages available, someone go find me an easier one', which really just makes you lazy. o back to Fenix or Python and keep at it.

No one, not ever, said coding was _easy_ :) You have to keep at it, like playing the piano.

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

I tend to agree with what skeezix wrote. That being said, here's SmallBasic:

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,14,1300

It's really just a toy language, but you can do some fun little things with it. Also, it might keep you interested in coding until you are really ready for C, Python, or Fenix.

It's a bug in some firewall (not in python itself), that complaints about connection between two local process. And it does not request an internet connection.

Read carefully the message:

Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE
makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback
interface. This connection is not visible on any external
interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet.

So, python shoul work just fine. You only should ignore warning from stupid firewall, if it complains about a connection made from the IDLE process.

If you really tried to run an example and it actually failed becouse you're not connected to internet post the error message.

PS: basic is not a proper language, so probably you can't expect a 'proper port' of it :D

Hey don't call me lazy!!! So if someone can paint a portrat any you cant, you must be lazy? Or someone can run 100 metres in less than 10 seconds and you cant you must be lazy? I resent that. Some people can do some things that others cannot, it a fact of life.

Having said that I think I will keep trying with Fenix, it seems most similar to Basic. The lack of simple example programs - the ones I have downloaded are 100 - 200 lines long, I want examples that show just a one or two commands. A very unhelpful (to a beginner like me) command pdf file doesnt make my life any easier.

Hey don't call me lazy!!! So if someone can paint a portrat any you cant, you must be lazy? Or someone can run 100 metres in less than 10 seconds and you cant you must be lazy? I resent that. Some people can do some things that others cannot, it a fact of life.

Having said that I think I will keep trying with Fenix, it seems most similar to Basic. The lack of simple example programs - the ones I have downloaded are 100 - 200 lines long, I want examples that show just a one or two commands. A very unhelpful (to a beginner like me) command pdf file doesnt make my life any easier.

*g* Its more like -- no, I can't paint a portrait, but I don't ask someone to go buy me an etch-a-sketch either; I'd keep trying to paint ;)

Fenix might lack docs and samples, I wouldn't know; I recall theres a lot of Spanish folks into it wihch might make it harder on the non-Spanish..

.. but ask questions in the subboard here :)

Fenix might not be the right tool, but certainly BASIC wouldn't likely be the right tool either :)

jeff

It may have been harsher than I intended; I had a headache :)

I'm open to sugestions on a relativly simple language to try, what do you recommend?

Fenix is a step in the right direction. My first programming language was C based. It was utter hell working with that POS language. The programmers of the parser suck. Now that i've explained that, I will get to the main point. If you start on a simple language, make sure it doesn't suck. Python, Perl and Fenix use time-tested technology and i doubt that you'll look back at it as a pile of junk. Hell, Python and Perl are time tested as it is. Many people will prefer python, I now program in C, but I'll admit using python to ease some tasks. As for Perl... Has it even been ported? Of course, theres always Java, but i look at most of it as bloatware. Its just too damn high level and memory consuming. Java doesn't have a huge overhead, though, its only slow on some occasions(File reads and parsing can end up being very painful.). Just imagine virtualization. I myself prefer python because i can work with extremely complex programs with very very little overhead. Programs written in python gtk are only so much slower than those written in C. Even ones using complex features.

If you seriously want to go simple, then that will work, most people do it that way. It often makes a better... or at least A programmer. The thing about C is that it you must manage the memory. You have to understand how memory is stored. You have to understand this, and in depth. Most people are scared off by things like unsigned vars, malloc, new, struct, the pointers (*), and so on, but the truth is, It will make complete sense and you will use it to your advantage and just plainly use it every line of code. In fact, you'll get use to having errors related to them and totally understand them better (though at first you'll be like "OMG WTF!! WHAT THE !@#$ IS WRONG NOW!!!") but when looking at interpreted language it handles everything and does it with a lot of logic you don't need.

As for basic, maybe you can get a basic like dark basic where everything's linked together, SDL, Sound, etc. but i doubt it.

wow, i was _so_ close to banning diegor cause i first thought hes a spambot, gues all that spammin lately makes me a bit spamophobic :)

Thanks all, I try to keep with Fenix. Funny you should mention Dark Basic, thats what I use for programming at the moment. To have a program similar to that for the GP2X would be perfect for me.

if python requires internet you probably have a very crappy runtime/interpreter.. the official python certainly doesent require it

Back