Another Eeepc Thread...

Got tired of how shitty Xandros was and installed Mandriva on my eee today. There have been some configuration hiccups but overall it's much better than Xandros. I have /home on a 16GB SD card, which goes a long way towards ameliorating the space issue, and I'm planning on compressing /usr pretty quick here, too. I'm much happier with my purchase now, I still class it as a "toy" but I should still get some decent usage out of it.

Bump!

Got my new EEEPC 901 yesterday, installed Xubuntu on it. It's a fantastic little machine. 5hr+ battery life with WiFi on and streaming DivX video, integrated Bluetooth, 8.9" screen. Xubuntu makes it feel like a proper computer (rather than the joke of a distro they put on there originally), and once you install the EEEPC kernel and modules packages and the hotkeys script, it functions better than the original. The keyboard is compact but I have no trouble at all typing on it. The webcam is good, for a webcam. It's very light, very quiet and very cool.

So yeah, sweet.

Hopefully due to my A level results, my parents may be putting some money towards my next computer (The Advent clone of the MSI Wind). I should be posting a review of that soon!

Nova said:
Hopefully due to my A level results, my parents may be putting some money towards my next computer (The Advent clone of the MSI Wind). I should be posting a review of that soon!
How did you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter R said:
Nova said:
How did you do?

Pretty well thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the gf and I might both buy Acer Aspire Ones soon. It looks like a pretty good netbook for the same price I paid for my EEE 701. I heard the SSD was kind of slow on it with Windows, but neither of us use that anyway.

Today in PCWorld/Currys I saw an Acer One and Advent 4211 for the first time. The Advent wasn't on but looked like a nice bit of kit. £279, or free with a £25/month data package. I'd like to see it one as it looked better than the Acer. The Acer was on and did look pretty good. It was running 'Linux Lite'. I didn't have time to play other than try the GUI and load a couple of apps. The GUI looked simple and usable - and the idea or a variation could work on Pandora too.
f.150.0.16777215.0.s.stories.reviews.2008.06.acer-aspire-one.screens.aspire-one-screen-01.jpg

Link.
More pics.

This market is getting interesting and a little crowded. I expect the devices to get a lot better and cheaper over the coming months

Back