Analog Nub mode change?

esmith13

Still Fresh
Sometimes certain apps change the analog nub mode from "mouse" to "joystick" automatically. If this happens and it doesn't change back when the app is closed, is there a hot-key command to reset it back or do i just have a dead "mouse" and have to pull out the stylus and go into the nub configurator and fix it that way?

I know that's not so hard but I would think if nice shortcut keys are included like holding the pandora button to kill frozen apps their might have been a hotkey to reset the nubs back to the default mouse input profile without going to the desktop and pulling out the stylus when one of these mode change glitches happens.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Generally this only happens when the program is aborted abnormally.

But I too wish there was a way to hot key specific nub configurations.

Who could write a 'deconfigure.pnd' that re-maps everything to 'normal'.

I would be happy if there is some kind of easy switching the mouse buttons from right nub to ABXY and the ABXY Keyboard functions to the right analog nub without messing up the entire Pandora Gaming Controlls/Mouse/Keyboard configurations.

Sometimes certain apps change the analog nub mode from "mouse" to "joystick" automatically. If this happens and it doesn't change back when the app is closed, is there a hot-key command to reset it back or do i just have a dead "mouse" and have to pull out the stylus and go into the nub configurator and fix it that way?

I know that's not so hard but I would think if nice shortcut keys are included like holding the pandora button to kill frozen apps their might have been a hotkey to reset the nubs back to the default mouse input profile without going to the desktop and pulling out the stylus when one of these mode change glitches happens.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Who could write a 'deconfigure.pnd' that re-maps everything to 'normal'.

You can create some launcher pointing to a script with your preference for nubs modes. I leave you two scripts with the most common options.

mouse_buttons.zip

Attachments

• mouse_buttons.zip
    372 bytes · Views: 205
open console, type

Code:
/usr/pandora/scripts/op_nubchange.sh mouse mbuttons

This is for resetting the nubs to default.

A functionality switch would be something different... but given the nature of the Pandora, it would be great if you could switch configurations of keyboard (including shortcuts), mouse and buttons with one app...

Personnally, I push the pandora button,it opens the menu. Then browse through the menu / nub configurator with the dpad, enter to launch...

With tab (fn + space) you can switch between the element of the program and with the dpad again change the configuration of the nubs.

Out of interest, if the launch script for the application is along the lines of:

Code:
change_nub_mode

run_application

revert_nub_mode

If the application crashes, will the launch script not continue and revert the controls back? If this is the case, presumably the problem is with applications that change the nub mode in code, which makes me wonder if any settings that affect the system as a whole (control change, brightness, overclocking, etc.) would *ideally* be done via the launch script, to ensure proper restoration (or done as part of the OS itself). I'm probably wrong in most of my assumptions?

Steve

Well, if the application hardlocks your system, the nubmode won't be reset after you reboot.

... or if you remove the card with the script. Or (happened to me) if the power fails. There are probably additional scenarios.

Good points, although it may fix a bunch of cases where the application crashes/is force killed. For the cases where the device dies, resets, runs out of battery, etc. it seems like the OS just needs to know what the users preferred defaults are, and restore them (so while an application can change the settings for the instance of the application, it wouldn't change the system default which would be restored on reboot). One of the reasons I commented on this thread is I've had this same issue myself, so it would be nice if there was a fix (although not particularly urgent/critical).

Steve

Generally this only happens when the program is aborted abnormally.

But I too wish there was a way to hot key specific nub configurations.
You can use the nub configurator for this. It also provides a command-line interface to quickly change preferences from scripts. You should be able to assign some keyboard shortcuts to it by using the Application Shortcuts from the menu (XFCE settings).

E.g. Create a joysticks profile:

• Type joysticks (or some other name) in the pulldown box
  • Select joystick for both left and right nub.
  • Click save profile

Create a keyboard shortcut for the following command:

Code:
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p "/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/nubmodeconf.pnd" -e "nubmodeconf.py" -b "nubconfigurator" -a "-p joysticks"

Make sure to replace /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/ with the proper location of the nubmodeconf.pnd file on your system.

Next, create another keyboard shortcut for the following command:

Code:
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -p "/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu/nubmodeconf.pnd" -e "nubmodeconf.py" -b "nubconfigurator" -a "-p Default"

This will allow you to utilize your assigned keyboard shortcuts to quickly switch nub configuration.

You can also just leave out the -a "-p <profilename>" part to launch the configurator itself instead.

^ Thanks didn't know I could run that nub configuration tool like this.

Just got my pandora back from hospital (thanks again EvilDragon!)

While it was away I looked at ways round the right nub problem.

I never use the touchscreen (too easily damaged), so navigate the desktop using the nubs. The main desktop application I use is firefox unsurprisingly, and using the right nub as mouse buttons is awful. It is utterly frustrating not knowing what is going to happen when I try to click on a link - will it register? will it open a new tab I don't want? will it instead paste from the clipboard? will it decide perhaps to open the menu? Everyone I try to show off my pandora to is immediately put off by this. And, no, I'll not let them use the touchscreen!

I tried ABMouse and have looked at other scripts. It looks like these trap all inputs and change them before passing the event on to whatever processes are running, thus messing up nearly every game and emulator. But ABMouse made using firefox an absolute joy!

Surely the easiest way round this would be to allow configuration in the OS for the mouse pointer and buttons? My perfect set up would be right nub for scrolling, A B mouse buttons and X Y page down and up. I know others would want different setups, would it be difficult to include such a preference configurator in the OS?

Suppose we design the system to require a 'ping' every 2 seconds and any app that wants to use the joystick must supply that ping, if the system does not recieve that ping within 2 seconds then it will wait another 2 secconds to give the app a chance. if it still does not recieve anything it will automatically revert to mouse mode? there we go. problem solved.

I think it's better to just write a daemon that forwards nub event to a joystick device without the kernel driver having to change mode.

Back