GP2X An Rss Feed For Archives.gp2x.de

chronoboy

Still Fresh
An RSS feed for archives.gp2x.de would be really nice. This way we can stay up to date with the latest updates to our existing software. I can't believe I missed out on the latest release of DrPocketSNES, just read about the new version past 6 on the website with tons of new games supports.

Having an RSS feed on my desktop or in my Firefox to archives.gp2x.de would be really cool, and since the GP2X has an RSS feed reader(I think, correct me if I'm wrong), we may be-able to use this along with wget to download updates directly to our GP2X for our applications we have installed. We can also read about the latest additions to the archive on the go, and then download what we read about when we get home.

Most downloads on archive.gp2x.de on in either ZIP or Tarball format, both of which exist for Linux can be ported into a nice updater system, to automatically update our favorate applications without much effort. The RSS feed would have a link to the download, which the GP2X can wget and pipe to unzip or tar to extract. Inside the ZIP or tarball can be a small script or an install defination file, which explains where it should be installed. Although, since it would be only updating, it can simply just prompt the user where the game folder is located, and then unzip or untar it to there overwriting the old version while keeping your saves and other directories inside intact.

Anyways, I think I took this idea a tad too far. Just a nice RSS feed would be great, but if an update tool made to work with the RSS feed were made it would just make everything more complete.

Any comments would be great, or add-ons to this idea.

Thanks, I guess I missed the RSS feed icon in my Firefox address bar. I'm going to add this feed right away.

Although, there is not direct link to the download though, so making a program to automatically download my fav app updates is still a no go. :(

Would there be any way to add a link to the download in the feed as well somewhere? So, me or someone could create a nice Bash script to auto-download files in the feed?

It gives you a link to the page with the download link, so all you need is a small perl script to parse the html and chuck out the location of the file. If you look at the source code, theres a class used that is only for the download link, so if you search for that, the file link is on the same line :)

Back