An interesting e-ink screen...

Perhaps. This seems to be a new form facor since wikipedia last surveyed the production line of eink corp.

By the way, if anyone says they've got a Pearl or a Carta screen it means the screen came from e-ink corp. They do sell a cute round 1 inch one (or did in 2017 anyway) that could be a good drop in for a slightly modified lid back on a pyra.

I'm pretty sure I found the screen they are using:
ED052TC4
https://www.eink.com/product.html?type=productdetail&id=38

Maybe this could be used on the Pyra phone? Something to set it apart a little bit? Maybe like mentioned before a drop in replacement, the board could work with either one. Without Android games I'd much rather have an e-ink screen.

Or glass backs are a thing now, lets have this be the rear screen. . .

One at a time for developers, yes. I wonder where the price breaks for volume start kicking in.

Maybe this could be used on the Pyra phone? Something to set it apart a little bit? Maybe like mentioned before a drop in replacement, the board could work with either one. Without Android games I'd much rather have an e-ink screen.

Or glass backs are a thing now, lets have this be the rear screen. . .
Exactly my thoughts - though I have no idea what kind of adapter we would need let alone if it is MIPI to match the main or ---... Just a real interesting bit of kit at this point that happens to match the Pyra's resolution 1:1 and REAL close to the same size...

Just be aware this doesn't come with a touchscreen. I'd not really considered it before, but presumably that's going to be the main mode of input on a pyraphone.

480ms according to the stats from the page linked above. If you need a refresh rate that equates to just over 2fps, although most of the time it'll be flashing black and white if you actually tried to run it like that to play a video or anything.

Just be aware this doesn't come with a touchscreen. I'd not really considered it before, but presumably that's going to be the main mode of input on a pyraphone.
Neither did the screen we are using for the Pyra. I would assume that a touchscreen layer could be added using the same methods?

Neither did the screen we are using for the Pyra. I would assume that a touchscreen layer could be added using the same methods?
Hmmm, not so sure. E-ink displays use static electricity to attract the pigment balls to either side of the screen. Basically it's a segmented capacitive layer where charge dictates pigmentation. Maybe a resistive touchscreen could work, but I'd bet a capacitive one would interfere like mad with this.

Maybe a resistive touchscreen could work, but I'd bet a capacitive one would interfere like mad with this.
...You do realize that neither the Pandora nor the Pyra were ever planned to use anything else than a resistive touchscreen?

...You do realize that neither the Pandora nor the Pyra were ever planned to use anything else than a resistive touchscreen?

I guess I should have been more clear. Just thinking of the proximity between a typical screen and it's touch plane, I'm very sceptical either touchscreen technology will like being in close contact with a device that runs on static electricity. I'll give resistive a fighting chance though.

I'm pretty sure any e-ink displays out there with touchscreen capabilities will have some shielding between the two. Possibly a transparent groundplane.

Don't the more modern kindles have touchscreens, for flipping the pages and making notes? It's not something I've been in the market for for a long time, but that was my impression anyway. I've no idea what they're using, but I think we can rule out IR lasers given those tiny bezels, so it must be either resistive or capacitive.

My impression was that the main problem with touchscreens was harming the papery surface appearance. (If you stick a standard touchscreen layer in front of e-ink, you've basically lost the appearance benefits of e-ink.) So maybe they've found a way around that now.

My Energy E-Reader Pro+ has some kind of touchscreen, I'm not actually sure what. I've noticed it's not very sensitive.

Last edited:
Don't the more modern kindles have touchscreens, for flipping the pages and making notes? It's not something I've been in the market for for a long time, but that was my impression anyway. I've no idea what they're using, but I think we can rule out IR lasers given those tiny bezels, so it must be either resistive or capacitive.

I don't know about the Kindles, but my Kobo Aura One Limited Edition (yes - long product name) does have a touchscreen that it uses for entry PIN, page flips, text input, etc. From what I understand, the touchscreen layer on it is capacitive.

Not to over-imply that this could in any way work on a Pyra (we don't even know if the communications are compatible), but if it -did-, I could see the potential to have/use it even without a touchscreen layer. Of course I would then need two Pyras...

oh man if someone puts this in their pyra PLEASE send me some instructions

Back