Amiga Suxorz!!!11 What A.. No Carrier

True, the sprites may be a little small in Benefactor ( and quite a few games ), it takes a little time to get accustomed to that, but wow, I've even been playing Flashback lol, and even if I couldn't finish it via emulation, I would still be happy to be able to play it :).

This little GP2X is the best portable, nothing is perfect :)... YET !.

As it would be evident, I'll refrain mentioning why you used the Amiga in this topic in the first place lol...

I used and in fact still use an Amiga , my first real comp was ... leaving aside a half-dead ZX-Spectrum ( first the ZX81, after a ZX16 with 32 K Mem Upgrade lol ) ... An A500, from that I moved on to a nice totally basic A2000B, and from that... Ok, maybe with that, I made a monster :).. My A2000B has more extras than a Korean car with a bad attitude !...

Atari... It was a nice comp, it was quite good in fact, most Amiga games had their Atari versions... But... The Atari was ever-so-slightly more doomed than the Amiga... The Atari Falcon and Tha Amiga 1200 appeared practically at the same time, both to fight a battle that they couldn't win...

Falcon was too ambitious machine. The A1200 was much better product wise thought Falcon was overall technically superior.

At those times the PC was starting to dominate because of VGA and hardrives what were common on PC.

VGA like capability should be in STE! And STE should have faster CPU, linear like graphics mode as in 13H VGA mode so converting software for it wouldn't be hard from PC. The same goes for the Amiga.

Then we have more adventure games from Sierra and others like Master Of Orion, Civilization (vastly superior on PC) or even the Wing Commander.

Wolf3D and Doom were a final nail to Amiga's coffin (Atari was dead earilier) and why it was so? Because no one at Atari/Commodere couldn't implement linear graphics modes and put faster CPU into theirs computers!!

Even in Falcon 8bpp mode is that old interlaced bitplanes crap as 4bpp in original ST.

Then PC got Gravis so Amiga supposedly superior sonic capabilities were obliterated. Even Creative realized that and bought EMU and made AWE series based on EMU8K chip. The 486 were starting to be common plus Vesa Local Bus... it was the end for Amiga (or even more for Atari). Wintel won and rightfully then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ravnos B)

Radek... That is not entirely correct, graphic capabilities of the Amiga were far superior to any PC of it's time, including video or 3D work... As for conversion... I don't see why a simple refresh rate or resolution can't be converted, it's all simple code ?.

No, I don't talk about games, back then I worked in a professional environment, all video work ( hence the Opalvision card and modules ).

I do agree about the home-line, gaming on the Amiga seemed to reach it's apex and simply die, it was sad, it was, and still is a great computer :)... The Atari, ( well, and the Amiga ), suffered from stupid marketing plots... ( a bit like having to pay for the RKM [ ROM Kernel Manuals ] for the Amiga DOS or having to pay a load of cash for a game - at least in Europe.)...

GP2X seems to have a nice clean open future so far :)... And yes,sadly,it seems that Amiga was abandoned to it's luck... Even so, I'll keep my one alive lol B) .

Thanks Ravnos B)

Radek... That is not entirely correct, graphic capabilities of the Amiga were far superior to any PC of it's time, including video or 3D work... As

Let me say you are right and wrong at the same time.
(the VGA showed first in 1987, the first Amiga was in 1985 (A1000))
However VGA got much better popularity as better graphics standard and it wasn't so featureless (it has hardware scrolling capability, split screen mode, x-modes, latch registers to boost fill/copy type operations).

And it has 70Hz noninterlaced modes as standard,

Not bad, eh?

for conversion... I don't see why a simple refresh rate or resolution can't be converted, it's all simple code ?.

You mean emulators? The interlacing tricks (more common on the Amige than on the ST) will need temporal supersampling to display them well. The Amiga's horizontal fine scrolling will need spatial supersampling in horizontal resolution (4x) to do in a correct way.

No... they aren't simple if they have to be done efficiently.

No, I don't talk about games, back then I worked in a professional environment, all video work ( hence the Opalvision card and modules ).

I do agree about the home-line, gaming on the Amiga seemed to reach it's apex and simply die, it was sad, it was, and still is a great computer :)... The Atari, ( well, and the Amiga ), suffered from stupid marketing plots... ( a bit like having to pay for the RKM [ ROM Kernel Manuals ] for the Amiga DOS or having to pay a load of cash for a game - at least in Europe.)...

Imho the worst problem what Amiga had was it its custom chipset. Most software were too depending on talking directly to "the metal" hence a problem with making a compatible newer models. A1200 wasn't so and all that was because the Amiga was really a console chipset at its core:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga

Can you deny this, can you? Anyway C64 and Atari800 (an Amiga predecessor) were all failed consoles what were redirected to be home computers.

Atari ST was a different kind of machine. It was a desperate attempt of Atari to has somehting on the market after losing the Amiga licence to the Commodore. Isn't that funny? We should have the Atari Amiga not Atari ST... :lol:

Looking at all this I think ST was really good design in sense of a personal computer. But Atari wasted it in very worst way. It needed only faster CPU and 256 color (like in a VGA) mode and it'd prosper. Nothing special really but Atari instead prefered to go into an ambitious Falcon project what was a basically a waste. Who would like to have its audio capabilities and built in DSP to play some VGA quality games anyway?

So it failed.

A1200 was much better market wise thought it was a dead end also.

Some are saying that Commodore screwed a big time. They are wrong - Atari made it at much higher scale:
- succesful ST line what wasn't improved properly
- TT line as same as in previous point
- DTP market and laser printers where Atari was the lider at the time - Calamus, vector fonts - they crapped it as they could!
- multiple console attempts - except 2600 all were ill fated
(even superior Lynx and better that Nintendo at the same time 7800)
- the Jaguar - nuff said :(
- audio/midi market - ST was at the time a lider - again Atari shitted it badly
- a failed transputer attempts

So Commodore's sins were bad. But Atari's... heh - there is still an Atari brand anyway to make thing funnier. ;)

GP2X seems to have a nice clean open future so far :)... And yes,sadly,it seems that Amiga was abandoned to it's luck... Even so, I'll keep my one alive lol B) .

Funny, at one point I had an Atarti LYNX, it was great ( exclluding the ridiculously priced games that is, on the other hand, most games for any platform cost much more now lol )... It was great to have a handheld brick ( it was heavy and batteries lasted at least 20 minutes when lucky lol )... Having a handheld that needs to remain plugged into a power supply at all times seemed quite pointless, but I was an addict to Gates of Zendocon and California Games... If I remember well, if you kept the forcefield active ( in Gates of Zendocon ) even when it looked like it wasn't there anymore ... it was !!! :lol:

As for all the tech stuff regarding conversion, I think that it is easy, just, not quite so easy if you want it done well, so I'll grant you that lol.

Better graphic standard ?, nah lol, mnore extended in any case, but yes, Amiga GFX modes were mostly hacks and clever solutions, the chipset was brilliant, too good for it's time, and too expensive to upgrade.

The Atari was also a great computer, I nearly bought one back then, ( when I had money and all that lol ), it was a computer that was very similar concept-wise to the Amiga, a nice piece of engineering indeed... I may actually buy an old Atari now, I like to keep classics up and running... My Amiga has done about half a trillion miles by now, it is solid as a rock, only major problem I ever had with it was caused by a severe power surge that fried it's somewhat complex power supply and the M68000 :lol: , now, that made things quite complicated being so near the wrong side of the world for those components lol...

I miss the old days coding on my Amiga, maybe I'll one day finish a small RPG that I was coding lol... Oh well, enough rambling for now...It's time for a cold beer, it's hot here :(

theres a couple of games I remember playing when I was kid that I would love to play on the gp2x, anyone tell me if they run?

Miami Chase
Venus the Fly Trap (came runner up in the first coding competition i entered with a remake of this :D)

MIAMI frickin' CHASE....!!!!

I LOVED that game. It's not very well known though - it was a budget release that punched way above it's weight. Damned if I can find the .adf ROM of it anywhere though...! (Sadly my Amiga got given away by my parents after i'd been away at uni for a few years!)

I briefly played Venus on OutcaST for GP2X, so it's available and runs. Didn't give it much time though, so can't say much more than that...

As much as i love all the other emus, i'm still holding out for the Amiga emulator being compatible & fast... Yep, i'll be patient...!

Back