Amiga Emulator By Mr Mirko

*cleans urine*

What an emotional group of lads, it was an ongoing joke regarding the SNES emu dev moving on to the Zodiac.

In all honesty I've got nothing against the Zodiac, although I will say that the community of handheld coders is small enough that we feel the pinch when someone decides to code for the "other system".

But let me put it to you this way, I think that if the two communities were more friendly and competetive (in a friendly way) that could encourage a lot more creativity and development for both handhelds.

Why can't we be friendsss Why can't we be friendsss

But I don't care what anyone says I'm still urinating on the GBA *urinates on GBA's crappy screen*

If a slightly less than playable Amiga emu (let's face it, quite unplayable for most things at first), then it would at least be a start, and several things could be optimized to run a tad better here and there. Might not even get close to 90 percent, but the effort would be the good part. Also might just boost a bit of morale.

I do think DaveC's gotta lighten up a tad. Let the dreamers dream and the worriers worry.

DaveC posted on Apr 6 2005 at 12:03 AM said:
Well it is sad to see the GP32 scene die. I have watched the Amiga die as all devs fled to the PC or mac. I see the same going on here, all leaving for the Zodiac in droves

This is the perception but not the reality; who exactly has gone to Zodiac and never come back?

Maybe yoyo, and maybe he'd have gone someewhere else anyway, and he'll likely be back to gp32 at some point.

So thats one. Thats *one*. Not droves.

Maybe reesy, but thats not even a sure thing if he'll buy a Zodiac, so thats moot. The Zodiac is onl now starting to get its own developers.. its got a half dozen total. Squidgey and nme do both (and more!) platforms.

So the GP32 scene has never ever really sent anyone off to Zodiac. Thats entirely in peoples heads. 100%.

But let the devs go; as I say.. ebb and tides. The Amiga far outlasted its usefullness.. time have to change :) Every computing platform dies, but I don't think the GP32 will die due to devs. The GP32 dies when no one sells it anymore, and its been on that brink for years :)

What if a dev just works on gp32 then stops doing anything at all, and then sometimes comes back? Same thing as if he diddled around on something else.

But please don't go on about it. Devs can and should do as they want, without *guilt*; people used to whine about me going to do Zodiac/Palm, not realizing I'd beendoing it all along. I got hundreds of messages about it, and I found them annoying as heck.. who needs *guilt*?!

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix posted on Apr 6 2005 at 12:51 PM said:
DaveC posted on Apr 6 2005 at 12:03 AM said:
Well it is sad to see the GP32 scene die.  I have watched the Amiga die as all devs fled to the PC or mac.  I see the same going on here, all leaving for the Zodiac in droves

This is the perception but not the reality; who exactly has gone to Zodiac and never come back?

Maybe yoyo, and maybe he'd have gone someewhere else anyway, and he'll likely be back to gp32 at some point.

So thats one. Thats *one*. Not droves.

Maybe reesy, but thats not even a sure thing if he'll buy a Zodiac, so thats moot. The Zodiac is onl now starting to get its own developers.. its got a half dozen total. Squidgey and nme do both (and more!) platforms.

So the GP32 scene has never ever really sent anyone off to Zodiac. Thats entirely in peoples heads. 100%.

But let the devs go; as I say.. ebb and tides. The Amiga far outlasted its usefullness.. time have to change :) Every computing platform dies, but I don't think the GP32 will die due to devs. The GP32 dies when no one sells it anymore, and its been on that brink for years :)

What if a dev just works on gp32 then stops doing anything at all, and then sometimes comes back? Same thing as if he diddled around on something else.

But please don't go on about it. Devs can and should do as they want, without *guilt*; people used to whine about me going to do Zodiac/Palm, not realizing I'd beendoing it all along. I got hundreds of messages about it, and I found them annoying as heck.. who needs *guilt*?!

jeff

Well Reesy and Yoyo are two of the best and now that they will be gone from the GP32 it will most certainly suffer greatly and may never recover. The zodiac may have half a dozen, that is alot more than the GP32 has active now. Also Squidge has pretty much left too. He mostly comes to this site to scout for things to port to the Zodiac and to recruit coders for zodiac like he did with Reesy. He hasn't made a single complete thing for the GP32 since he got a Zodiac as 99% of his work is zodiac now, so I would count that as leaving. Yes developers will do what they want and it seems that it is zodiac for some reason. I still don't see why everyone thinks the zodiac is so much better.

DaveC posted on Apr 6 2005 at 02:04 PM said:
Well Reesy and Yoyo are two of the best and now that they will be gone from the GP32 it will most certainly suffer greatly and may never recover. The zodiac may have half a dozen, that is alot more than the GP32 has active now. Also Squidge has pretty much left too. He mostly comes to this site to scout for things to port to the Zodiac and to recruit coders for zodiac like he did with Reesy. He hasn't made a single complete thing for the GP32 since he got a Zodiac as 99% of his work is zodiac now, so I would count that as leaving. Yes developers will do what they want and it seems that it is zodiac for some reason. I still don't see why everyone thinks the zodiac is so much better.

He has done more than you have, so why don't you make an Amiga emu?

For your second question about the Zodiac, you have to think like a programmer. When coding in your spare time you don't really want to bother about the boring parts of programming, normally there is just a specific thing that you want to see if you can overcome/achieve. When that parts done you move onto the next interesting thing, which isn't normally the rest of the same project.

For example, I started work on re-creating MUGEN for the GP32. The main challenge in my mind was to get Evil Ken and Evil Ryu working somehow since each characters sprite banks alone take up 4Mb each when compressed to PCX images (not much room for code, backgrounds or sounds etc...). I overcame this with a format that got the sprite banks down to 2Mb and it was fast enough to be drawn on the GP32. When I had done this I didn't really feel like continuing and went on to somthing else (incidently on the PC).

For many the next interesting thing is a more powerful machine that would allow new challenges that wouldn't be possible on anything else. Hell, thats the reason the GP32 got so many people developing on it in the first place, because you could try things on the move that weren't possible on anything else in the price range. The Zodiac is more powerful than the GP32 since its processor is faster and it has a graphics chip. This makes developers think "Hmmm, I wonder if I could use the graphics chip to do this... or that..." ie, its a new challenge. At the end of the day home development is usually done for the enjoyment of the coder, if it turns out to be something other people can use or continue then it is a bonus.

Your spot on there Charge. I dabble in anything :) The thing that got me to buy a gp32 in the first place was it's openness and 133mhz arm9 processor, as my only previous playing was with the 16mhz gba. The Zodiac let me play with PalmOS and the graphics accelerator. After seeing www.fpga4fun.com, I bought an fpga development board and played with that, so you could say I had abandoned both the gp32 and zodiac at that point. I also code for the PC, and some things that are not supposed to be messed with, like an adsl router last week, pulling it apart, and making it do stuff it was never intended too.

One thing of DaveC's post that made me chuckle was the following:

He mostly comes to this site to scout for things to port to the Zodiac and to recruit coders for zodiac like he did with Reesy

I think you've pretty much answered the other parts of his post.

Nobody seems to be picking up ont he simple fact that no-one seems to be coding a amiga emu,
therfore we arnt going toget one. period. regardless of wheather is possible or not.

Why code an Amiga emu? Just wait until one of the Zodiac's Amiga emulators is good enough, and then port it to the gp32. Saves all the work :)

Oh yeah, sorry, people only port from Gp32->Zodiac, and never the other way, how silly of me to suggest such a thing :rolleyes: ;)

No if you can do that (i cant code and dont have a clue about it) that would be fantastic, and if somone as talanted as yourself is planning to to that then i very much look forward to it and would love to see it happen.

DaveC posted on Apr 6 2005 at 02:04 PM said:

Reesy and yoyo are great but there are many other ones as well such as Skeezix Rlyeh Franxis Chui Squidge etc.... Squidge just said that he was starting a pcengine emulator so how can you say that he left us? Also I don't recall that he has ported anything from the Gp32 to the Zodiac as of yet. Also Reesy asked Squidge about the Zodiac, not the other way around. So what if Squidge didn't complete anything since the Zodiac, he has ported BOR and done GpDrive which are 2 very used programs. Anyways these are developers that develop for the Gp32 on spare time, if they want to develop on another platform, let them. Why make them feel guilty, I don't really like the Zodiac either in all honesty :p but just have to deal with it.

There's always doomsayers prophecising the end of "the scene" but has it happened? no.

Anyway what is the big deal if coders have free will to do what they want, no sense getting all miffed about it. Are you not happy with your gp32 unless there's something new released regularly? Surely it all comes down to the games you play, and there is seemingly infinite choice in that department.

There is always something new around the corner for the GP32, so don't despair. Maybe it's just a comedown from all the awesome stuff that's been released of late.

Reesy and yoyo are great but there are many other ones as well such as Skeezix Rlyeh Franxis Chui Squidge etc.... Squidge just said that he was starting a pcengine emulator so how can you say that he left us? Also I don't recall that he has ported anything from the Gp32 to the Zodiac as of yet. Also Reesy asked Squidge about the Zodiac, not the other way around. So what if Squidge didn't complete anything since the Zodiac, he has ported BOR and done GpDrive which are 2 very used programs. Anyways these are developers that develop for the Gp32 on spare time, if they want to develop on another platform, let them. Why make them feel guilty, I don't really like the Zodiac either in all honesty but just have to deal with it.

RIGHT ON, brother SING it like it is,

thats how i feel right there i couldnt have put it any better !

i realise this going off the beaten track a little but does anyone else find rlyehs emu's to split into 4 screens during play?

Davec seems to forget that there are coders who code things other than emulators..... <_< :rolleyes:
There was recently a new version of gpladykiller.... by Puck...
Plus Matkeupon hasnt moved over to anything else... :)

onionfrog posted on Apr 9 2005 at 05:58 PM said:
Davec seems to forget that there are coders who code things other than emulators..... <_< :rolleyes:
There was recently a new version of gpladykiller.... by Puck...
Plus Matkeupon hasnt moved over to anything else... :)

What!!? there are things coded for the GP32 that are not emulators? ;)

Sreiously, haven't we had enough flamming already?

Back