American version of the inbetweeners

I'm an American and yes, I'll admit the US versions of a show are always crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
To all americans, if you want to see one of the most perfect genuinely brilliant comedies in recent memory - download the UK version or buy the box set for about $20, you are being short changed with this MTV version.

I watched it a few days ago. It's nowhere near as good as the original. In fact, it's pretty dire.

As for the swearing, it's strange - they bleep out some things, but not others. Seems to be no rhyme nor reason.

And yet we are probably the most cursy of all first world countries !

Well we haven't done any bad doctor who remakes at least .

Why on earth do we need an American version of everything. See what they did to Kath and Kim?

lolz I wonder if they tried remaking Fawlty Towers or something.
have you seen the dire version of "Life on Mars?"... jeez! lol

Why on earth do we need an American version of everything. See what they did to Kath and Kim?
I always wonder why there are so many US remakes of EU or Asia Movies. Are foreign Country Movies not accepted in the USA? Is it because of subtitles or bad vocie dubbing?

Here in germany, nearly every foreign Movie/TV Series is voice dubbed and people here like and accept this. True fans of course prefer and watch the original versions but these are not shown in german TV. But stuff like "Little Britain" just can't be translated 1:1 in another language, there always have to be made compromises.

Actualy, all good TV shows/series are from the US (or Britain), I really wish there would be some better original german Movies and TV Series...but actualy, the most of them are plain terrible and made for an audience around 60+ -_- The last (and best) real german TV SciFi series was from the late 60s, pretty sad thing imho. :( (Ok, if you count Ijon Tichy - Space Pilot, the last SciFi series was from 2011 :D )

But they actualy never do remakes of US Series and if they do, it fails horrible. Once they tried an german 1:1 copy of IT Crowd...this was scary, in the worst way! :ph34r:

So I actualy still see no reason to remake everything just because the Original is not made in your country. This always has a slightly taste like "We can do it better and we don't want to see foreign culture because it scares us and we have to protect our people from bad influences from the wild world out there." :rolleyes:

I watched the US one and it's one of America's better attempts at redoing a british show, you should take a look at Red Dwarf or Shameless, those were damn awful...

Back when they were casting for the Dr Who movie (the one in the 90s), they approached Jim Carey and he refused stating that there would be bad feedback if the Doctor was played by an American, I wonder if that is why they've never done a US version?

Well we haven't done any bad doctor who remakes at least .
While not a remake,

https://www.youtube.com/embed/1fwomHmo3mk?feature=oembed highlights how awful programming can be from either side of the pond(or anywhere on the globe). We all are inundated with schlock produced for our viewing pleasure no matter our borders.

If you want to watch an American show that didn't get a fair shake(cancelled after second season), but deserves to be noticed by all, check out Better off Ted. In particular, watch the Jabberwocky episode. Portia deserved an award for the presentation scene alone. Hilarious. :lol:

Saw the movie of the original show about a half year ago. Not my style of humor, and this "remake" is ten times worse.

What I like to watch on YouTube ( not much of a tv watcher ) is hetalia axis powers * , no creepy fan made stuff though .

*You'll want to be a history nerd to get the majority of the non dirty jokes and or references .

^ It took me 3 attempts before I could watch the entire pilot episode, I can't stress just how bad it really was.

Noooooooo!

Luckily both the US Red Dwarf and It Crowd never came to be. HORRIFIC..

lolz I wonder if they tried remaking Fawlty Towers or something.

Several times.

From wikipedia:

Three attempted remakes of Fawlty Towers were started for the American market, with two making it into production. The first, Chateau Snavely starring Harvey Korman and Betty White, was produced by ABC for a pilot in 1978, but the transfer from coastal hotel to highway motel proved too much and the series was never produced. The second, also by ABC, was Amanda's starring Bea Arthur, notable for switching the sexes of its 'Basil' and 'Sybil' equivalents. It also failed to pick up a major audience and was dropped. A third remake called Payne (produced by and starring John Larroquette) was also produced, but was cancelled shortly after. A German pilot based on the sitcom was made in 2001, named Zum letzten Kliff, but further episodes were not made.

Damn it, now I'm going to have nightmares about all my favourite english comedies being remade. :(

Back