GP2X Alpha Version Of X-rally

michu

Still Fresh
Website
www.neophob.com
im creating a rally game.. its in a alpha state, and there is still alot to do. im looking for some feedback and im looking for a talented artist! you can grab it here:

http://www.neophob.com/files/gp2xrally-alpha.zip

btw the game needs about 10s to load, be patient ;)

todo list:
-add splash screen to inform that the game is loading
-sound support
-real gameplay
-car physics

cheers michu

if youre a artist or just want to pm me, my mail adress is michu (at) neophob.com

ps: i used the gpe-compressor, and *i think* the compressor will unpack the file to /mnt/tmp/filenamehere and run it from there.. is that true?

http://freegamearts.myexp.de/fga.php?filte...h=car&sort=name

I did this rally car model a while back for a GP32 rally game that sady never saw the light of the world, if you want you can use this under the terms of the GPL (if that is absolutly impossible we might be able to sort something else out).
The Skin is only 80% complete though, but it should work :)

Depending on how you progress with your game (burned child and all that :) ) I might be also willing to do more.

Edit: Ahh ok, it is a 2D game... well then disregard what I said :)

Rally game? Good idea! Im actually working on something similiar myself! Ill download it and test it...

Julius posted on Mar 15 2006 at 04:11 PM said:
http://freegamearts.myexp.de/fga.php?filte...h=car&sort=name

I did this rally car model a while back for a GP32 rally game that sady never saw the light of the world, if you want you can use this under the terms of the GPL (if that is absolutly impossible we might be able to sort something else out).
The Skin is only 80% complete though, but it should work :)

Depending on how you progress with your game (burned child and all that :) ) I might be also willing to do more.

Edit: Ahh ok, it is a 2D game... well then disregard what I said :)

hey julius.. thanks but i just use 2d bitmaps for the rally game... so unfortunally i cant use your object file..

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
for me, is't about 5 seconds or so to load... it's rather cool that came, sometimes i see a little bit of the transparancy layer of the car... nice start!

Good state, your need to put a little pause menu in to allow peaple to exit. ;) What you thought about for the AI cars? Just that I did some AI on an Amiga racing game years ago that used a neat trick that was very quick. What you do is lay a map, much like you do with an old school 2d tiled map. But instead of holding info about what gfx to draw you hold a 4bit value saying which way the car should be pointing. ( not sure how many rotations your allowing, so it could need more bits ). But for the AI just grab the tile its under (just a shift of its cords. tileX = x >> 4 for example ) Set the cars rotation to that then move. Works a treat. Then you can add to that modification of this data so that when a car crashes the others advoid it!

MadDog posted on Mar 18 2006 at 07:35 PM said:
Good state, your need to put a little pause menu in to allow peaple to exit. ;) What you thought about for the AI cars? Just that I did some AI on an Amiga racing game years ago that used a neat trick that was very quick. What you do is lay a map, much like you do with an old school 2d tiled map. But instead of holding info about what gfx to draw you hold a 4bit value saying which way the car should be pointing. ( not sure how many rotations your allowing, so it could need more bits ). But for the AI just grab the tile its under (just a shift of its cords. tileX = x >> 4 for example ) Set the cars rotation to that then move. Works a treat. Then you can add to that modification of this data so that when a car crashes the others advoid it!

hey thanks for the replys.. first the transpartent pixel was for debugging purposes, i needed to check if my collision detection works..

about ai.. at the moment i use 2 maps, the one which is visible (32bit) and information map (8bit) which tells me lap finish, on the road, in the dirt and so on. i didnt start the ai part yet, but i was thinking about something similar to your idea maddog.. i use for example color 4 = accelerate, color 6= turn right and so on... but perhaps ill implement a primitive raytracing, forexample look 20 pixels ahed, i there is still street accelerate, if not look left or right...

i need to optimize the whole code anyway as im down at 40fps allready. so ill see..

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Back