Alien vs Predator Port

Even though I don't understand 99% of any of this, I'm really enjoying this thread. It'll almost be a shame to resolve the issues, but I'm looking forward to that time. :)

Keep up the excellent work everyone.

Even though I don't understand 99% of any of this, I'm really enjoying this thread. It'll almost be a shame to resolve the issues, but I'm looking forward to that time. :)

Keep up the excellent work everyone.
I know what you mean. They are over my head too. :rolleyes:   Thank G.D for them though. Thought my XBOX discovery would get a remark :blink: .

If it wasn't for that 99% there would be hardly any open sourcing !!!

Last edited:
@BAFelton video looks ace! That runs a lot better than on my @ 800MHz Rebirth Pandora - did the performance increase a lot for you with notaz's driver, or was the performance always like this for you (with the driver fixing the graphical corruption)?

@BAFelton video looks ace! That runs a lot better than on my @ 800MHz Rebirth Pandora - did the performance increase a lot for you with notaz's driver, or was the performance always like this for you (with the driver fixing the graphical corruption)?
I needed to use notaz drivers cause i had glitches on the others.

The performance has increased with the last releases too.

I'm at 1.1 ghz on the vid.

wow it looks soo good I cant belive the pandora can play this game, cant wait for it to get better
Yes it does. I do have some flickering but otherwise this game looks great and controls nicely. It plays better benig a marine IMHO .

I needed to use notaz drivers cause i had glitches on the others.

The performance has increased with the last releases too.

I'm at 1.1 ghz on the vid.
I am absolutely gobsmacked that you need 1.1ghz to get that kind of performance. I really am. I still have an AMD 366Mhz PC here that gets better than that, and that's with a Voodoo2 card in it!

What the hell is wrong with our Pandora?

D.

^ You should really ask what is wrong with the AVP code to be so poorly optimized for a platform it was never intended to run on.

The original AVP game was written in DirectX, probably pretty well. The port from DirectX -> GL was then done by someone (or multiple people) afterwards. The hardware targeted at the time was probably able to run AVP sufficiently well that there was no need to do much in the way of optimizations, so it is quite plausible the GL port is nowhere near as efficient as the original (I don't know this for sure, just a guess). The stuff I have done adding GLES support may cause performance issues, but to be honest, if anything I feel I have improved performance not degraded it.

Also, at 1.1GHz the CPU usage is around below 50-60%, so it's SGX and it's drivers that makes it slow. Pandora has SGX530 that's the first (and slowest) in SGX series, so that Voodoo2 might be better suited for the workload this game gives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent work!! Finally getting it going, using installed files is the way to go I was using them off the disc!!

thanks!

Also, at 1.1GHz the CPU usage is around below 50-60%, so it's SGX and it's drivers that makes it slow. Pandora has SGX530 that's the first (and slowest) in SGX series, so that Voodoo2 might be better suited for the workload this game gives.
And that's the 200MHz SGX530, I feel sorry for the OMAP3 users with only 110MHz :/

That's sad, Voodoo 2 was only 90MHz, 1 pixel/cycle, 2 texel/cycle (but only if the game has multi-texturing in the first place), no benefit of overdraw elimination or fast tiling memory.. 200MHz SGX530 should destroy it unless the compiler/fixed function emulation is doing a poor job and it's ALU bound.

Is this port using PVRTC compressed textures? Could be something worth trying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just a significant rewrite on eglport, while is mostly the same functionality what might be of use to this project is the addition of a config file. This config file can change settings that will be read at runtime. Important ones such as render mode (RAW or SDL), FSAA, VSYNC.

Exo might be right.
This could be the first native game where it really matters if you have a GHz unit or not.
It seems to run much better on the faster sgx.
I tried to overclock the sgx a bit and it seemed to help but got unstable. Got nothing near the performance of the GHz model though.

Back