AirPlay framerate?

Unvaluablespace

Still Fresh
Hello. I just got the new ipad, and am considering getting an apple tv, mainly for the airplay feature. i know the ipad 3 doesnt have a jailbreak (yet), but im hoping to get one to use airplay with roberts emulators. I recall when airplay was first announced that mirroring wasnt exactly smooth on framerate, so i wanted to know if anyone had any experience with airplay mirroring and what there take on it is? ive used roberts emulators with a vga adapter ive had, and using his emulator with the iCP works well via that for tv out, but is airplay too laggy?

i tried out a demo of the reflection app for mac, which lets you use airplay via your macbook, and it works good for regular stuff, but gaming, especially games that require fast reflexes, isnt smooth enough, so i was hoping apple tv might be better, since its designed for airplay in the first place.

any help on this would be much appreciated, thanks. :)

theres gotta be better forums to ask that question than this....at least ask in the iCP forum

No one else is curious about this as I am? Nor has already attempted it? Come on people! It would be like having a totally wireless console for playing emulators and such! I'm pretty sure there's lag but without someone else's experience or trying it myself I have no way of knowing.

I've looked online and on YouTube there are videos of people showing off airPlay to apple tv and it "does" look somewhat smooth, but maybe slightly laggy. Yet in none of the videos or online do anyone specify whether or not the lag is severe, if at all.

Perhaps I'll have to get an apple tv myself and let you guys know, If no one else can help me out here...

Sony, thanks for putting up with my threads on this topic, both here and in the icontrolpad forum. :)

Gee, thanks for the help guys! Haha.

Anyways, I ended up going out and buying an Apple TV for myself, in order to test it out. Here are my findings.

Basically, the airplay works rather well, it all comes down to Your TV response time, and how fast your router can work. I tested it out at three different places. At one place the router connection was rather far away so it lagged really bad, making gaming unplayable. At the other place, the TV had a real slow response time, so when you would push a button on the Icontrolpad, the character would jump onscreen almost 2 seconds later, which as most would know, is almost unplayable for games that require precise timing.

Finally, when I got home, I tried it on my TV with my router. To my surprise, it actually worked a lot better than it did in the previous two places. My router was right next to my setup and the TV responded rather fast. However, there seems to be still slight slow response time I am unsure whether it is from my router or my TV or both, where when I would press a button on the I control pad, the character would jump slightly after which.

So basically, for those interested, for precise gaming, airplay does not work that well. However, for casual games, such as real racing, sky gamblers, etc. games that don't exactly depend on precise timing, the airplay feature works pretty damn well. I was actually able to play real racing and sky gamblers and enjoy it with almost not realizing I was actually using the airplay feature. Since my new iPad obviously is not jailbroken, the games I tested for games that I would like to use emulators for (such as Mario, megaman, street fighter, etc.) the response time was not fast enough to actually enjoy playing using AirPlay. It is ALMOST there however. it would be interesting to know if Apple fixes this in an update on the Apple TV, but I think due to the fact that it's being shot wirelessly, and apples security "features", they must already have airplay working as good as they can get. I will not get the chance to test this out though, as I will be taking my Apple TV back. The main feature I got Apple TV for was the airplay, and it does not work exactly for my needs. It is really nice being able to just shoot your videos and music and such to the TV though! Haha.

Anyways, just thought you guys might like to know. Perhaps for those guys that, like myself, were curious about AirPlay for playing emulators. Thanks Sony for keeping my post up. :)

Well I have a VGA adapter. Not as sharp as hdmi adapter, but it works just as well. :) the whole point of AirPlay though was for the wireless capabilities. Would be cool to just shoot to your screen for a game of Mario, rather than having to get up n plug in an adapter every time you want to play lol. But I do applaud apple for there efforts. That's a lot of work to wirelessly send a monitors screen to another output, especially in HD. but they pulled it off decently. Just I'm picky so until it works good enough for my needs, No go here lol

Well I have a VGA adapter. Not as sharp as hdmi adapter, but it works just as well. :) the whole point of AirPlay though was for the wireless capabilities. Would be cool to just shoot to your screen for a game of Mario, rather than having to get up n plug in an adapter every time you want to play lol. But I do applaud apple for there efforts. That's a lot of work to wirelessly send a monitors screen to another output, especially in HD. but they pulled it off decently. Just I'm picky so until it works good enough for my needs, No go here lol

Ah ok, fair enough. It is pretty nice to plug in an iPhone and/or iPad, set it on the tv stand, and use the iCP for some SNES or MAME from the couch. :)

Back