Additiona Fees (help)

Hmm... Did you guys check your CC:

On GBAX.com:
Total cost with shipping: $ 355.99 (197.77 GBP)

My CC:
GP32 DISTRIBUTION NEWCASTLE UPO CAD$382.20
(197.77 @ 1.9325)

So, we indeed pay with GBP. Meh..
I better not be paying customs. :(

cbp said:

On GBAX.com:

My CC:
(197.77 @ 1.9325)

Depends on what your credit card company charges for exchange. I do know that the US market crash affected the exchange alot, so that's probably the reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
cbp said:

On GBAX.com:

My CC:
(197.77 @ 1.9325)

What we're fearing isn't a credit card charge. When I bought my GP2X F200, shipped from the GP2xStore in California to Vancouver Canada, I got a sizeable bill several weeks *after delivery*, from the shipping company for customs fees. I forgot which shipping company they used.

I'd be happy to pay only 5% GST. Many of us are fearing 30% charges...

You guys should be happy living in a first world country. Here in Brazil, I will pay 60% (yes sixty) of the pandora price in customs.

Hitnrun said:
You guys should be happy living in a first world country. Here in Brazil, I will pay 60% (yes sixty) of the pandora price in customs.
That's not the point; we were told that special distribution arrangements would be made for us ordering from Canada, which should be honoured.

I got charged $353.50 + $10.60 foreign currency transaction fees.

It would have been nice to know beforehand what the shipping was and that they were going to charge everything in GBP instead of each country's currency, so I could factor that in when I made the decision to buy the Pandora. <_<

smanky I can't blame you for wanting to know ahead of time, I had planned on some unexpected fee's since the team was rather scarce with such details ahead of time (had about $440 in my account for this).

I believe what I paid was the same as cbp, plus about $10 from my bank (which I believe was for the conversion) which for now isn't so bad. But, the possibility of an additional 30% (and I feel for those in Brazil, that's little more then highway robbery) is enough that I would have had to consider buying a different UMPC and just accepting their many limitations.

The possibility of an additional 30% fee is something Craig and co. covered to the best of their ability, and with all they've been up to I wouldn't be surprised if it had gotten past them as it sounds uncommon for someone to be charged that fee.

Hitnrun said:
Holy shit ...

No customs for this stuff here in the states ..

On a related note .... I tend to buy all my hardware online which means 90% of time I don't pay any taxes whatsoever - there is no VAT in the USA and a local sales tax doesn't really apply if a company I buy from has no presence in my state ( actually I am supposed to report and pay this myself ....but nobody does.)

In the end , what I pay for something like a brand new graphics card is generally 20-30 % less than what people pay in Europe for the same piece of hardware.

MWeston said:
CronoTrig said:
... for stupid customs fees...
Don't get me started on Canadian customs! :)

I swear, some days they spin a wheel and say "this is what you pay today". :angry:
...but as I said before, a package labeled 'Gaming Handheld' from GBAX has only been charged 5% so I really hope customs doesn't let you all down.

Sorry to dig up an old thread here, but it's either that or start a new one with no reference...I hope this is a reasonable thing to ask for more info about...

I was wondering (paranoid) if any more light can be shed on Customs Fees, or any other potential UPS fees, for us Canadians? Not that I don't take MWeston's word for it, 5% is entirely reasonable to me, I'm not trying to avoid federal taxes, just ridiculous fees UPS apparently conjures up now and then. But it sounds like the Pandora's are all shipping from the U.K...

"We have special distribution arrangements for USA, Canada, Spain, UK, Ireland, Germany & Turkey" used to be on the website, I believe. Was a regional distributor ever arranged, or maybe that meant future batches, not the first batch?

I'm about to get my refund (got the email today), and am wondering if I should not re-order, and instead wait for Canadian-based distribution...even though I really want my Pandora asap, I can see the benefit in waiting if I avoid getting dinged with $100 or more in UPS 'importing fees'. :rolleyes: $100 buys a lot of SD storage these days. ;)

Any more discussion on this would be much appreciated. If I'm going to cancel, I'd like to let them know asap so they can sell my place to someone else, hopefully a talented developer. :) I will absolutely be getting a Pandora at some point, but I don't mind waiting, we've all waited this long already, the software will only get better & SD cards only get cheaper in the meantime!

What are other Canadians here planning to do? Or any other countries for that matter? Thanks for your input.

cosurgi said:
PostScript said:
PS This is a Christmas gift for someone so I would like to keep the costs within reason.
Christmas? I got prepared to see mine on Feb...

Consider when Postscript made that post, whch was before all the problems arised.

I hope PS isn't still seeing that as a christmas present though, or someone's gonna have a very late christmas.

Back